Thread: Practice at Tosho-ji monastery

Practice at Tosho-ji monastery

Hi

I will start practicing at Tosho-ji 洞松寺monastery from 8th at this month.

About Tosho-ji.

https://www.sotozen.com/eng/temples/foreigner/2-28.html

Practice about 1 year ,I think.

24h practice with other monk,Zazen,eating ,chanting,cooking,Sho-do書道 writing,and so on.

Anyway I am little bit tired ,now I am Tenryu-ji ,do Sesshin ,ordinary work(Samu)and Takuhatsu.

I needed lots of money to go there.And I will be separated lots of time from family.

Please encourage me..私を励まして下さい!

Adding photo at Tenryu-ji.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-01-2021 at 10:53 AM.

It sounds like a challenge but also, very very exciting. Please enjoy yourself, do your best and practice wholeheartedly. Thank you for sharing this with us and I wish you steadfastness in your new adventure!
    頑張って 

SatToday lah
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-01-2021 at 10:55 AM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    It sounds like a challenge but also, very very exciting. Please enjoy yourself, do your best and practice wholeheartedly. Thank you for sharing this with us and I wish you steadfastness in your new adventure!
    頑張って 

SatToday lah
    ありがとうございますThank you very much.

Sat today
    Gassho
    Kakunen

Inspiring to all of us, Kakunen, and we are your fan club!

You sound peaceful and content.

Nine Bows, Jundo

STLah

PS - Like Sumo Wrestlers have their supporters (後援会 Koenkai), that is us for you ...

Last edited by Jundo; 04-01-2021 at 10:59 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Kakunen

All the best to you during your stay and practice at Tenryu-ji. I think many of us live vicariously (I hope that word translates well in Japanese) through you and enjoy hearing and seeing your journey.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Friend Kakunen, I hope that we will get to enjoy updates and photos from you through the coming year. Your life is a journey that brings inspiration and joy.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Wonderful, Kakunen!

Wishing you well in all of your practice. Those are beautiful images. Please do keep us updated.

Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

That’s amazing Kakunen. You demonstrate the endurance and determination in your practice that I wish to have. Please feel us all sitting with you at Tosho-ji.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gambatte ne
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Thank you Treeleafer.

After I will go to monastery,I will separate from internet.

But I will try to send letter to Jundo,if I have time.

See you next and good luck all.

From Zendo at Tenryu-ji

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 04-02-2021 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakunen View Post

From Zendo at Tenryu-ji

The picture shows their new Roshi-Robot at Tenryu-ji, performing the Heart Sutra Ceremony for all sentient AI.

... Not! (April Fools).

That's a Japanese kerosene heater for the winter. Being from Florida, I really had not seen one until I came to Japan.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

What song does it play?

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Very nice to see you, Kakunen, please enjoy your time!

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Practice how to use equipment at Komazawa university.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

This all looks very exciting and a little tough at the same time.
    Enjoy your time in the monastery, Kakunen, and thank you for
    sharing it with us

Gassho,
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

_()_ _()_ _()_

gassho
    ds sat and some lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Very nice! I wish we could all get together and practice the meticulous things.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I just posted this elsewhere, as some may wish to donate:

=================

Dear All,

Our friend of Treeleaf and long time member in Japan, Kakunen, who is also in priest training at various monasteries here, will be spending many months or a year in training at Toshoji monastery in western Japan.

If you would like to put a little dana (donation) in his monk's bowl to support his training, it would be welcome. Yes, even such things cost money in this world for food and board. He said that all funds will be used for his training.

He is best helped through paypal, using his email address: monk.kakunen[a]gmail.com

There is no obligation, times are hard, and many good places to donate money these days for people in need. So, only if you have funds to spare and would like help.

Gassho, Jundo
    STLah

A little bit more about the history of Toshoji too, from various sources ...

In 8th century Japan, the location was naturally chosen ... in the hollow of this amphitheatre of hills with luxuriant vegetation , a place protected from typhoons, a calm and propitious place for minds to meet ... belonging successively to Shingon Buddhism and since the 17th century, to the school of Dogen and Keizan.

Its spread was immense, with its 1200 affiliated temples and the protection of the great clans of Mori and Tokugawa, despite their otherwise mutual enmity. It sheltered the great poet monk Ryokan and more recently, its abbot has been the most prolific composer of chanted Baika poems, the musical art of our School.

About fifteen years ago, the temple of Tosho -ji, fallen into disprepair, was taken up by Suzuki [Seido] Roshi, with the aid of affiliated temples, to construct a Sodo, a place of training for monks. His time spent in America and Australia meant that monks and nuns came from many parts of the world and for some years now a number of French practitioners from the great sangha of Master Deshimaru.

These days, the temple is inhabited by a mixed international and Japanese sangha, mostly of mature years, who follow an age appropriate monastic life, which also takes account of their differing nationalities. Many who were once disciples of Master Deshimaru have done their Ango there, many foreign monks and nuns, including some from our sangha spending a year or more.

So what does this monastic life consist of? -Together with a single body- mind, manifesting Shikantaza, chanting and playing the instruments. Offering our respect, eating, working, studying, washing, resting.

By the collective and regular rhythm of this operation, what Master Dogen called ‘the pure assembly’ is born and lives.
    https://tenborin.org/en/tosho-ji-une...nes-etrangers/
    The following is from an article by Suzuki Seido Roshi:

Seidō Suzuki is the abbot of Funakizan Tōshōji and Unsenji, both in Okayama, Japan. He trained at Eiheiji and Zuioji and spent two years at Zen Mountain Monastery in New York.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can define life in the sōdō this way: it’s a life that follows the description written by Dōgen Zenji in the Bendoho in the Eihei Shingi. There’s a very important writing at the beginning of the Bendoho:

All buddhas and all ancestors are within the Way and engage it; without the Way they would not engage it. The dharma exists and they appear; without the dharma they do not appear. Therefore, when the assembly is sitting, sit together with them; as the assembly [gradually] lies down, lie down also. In activity and stillness at one with the community, throughout deaths and rebirths do not separate from the monastery. Standing out has no benefit; being different from others is not our conduct. This is the buddhas’ and ancestors’ skin, flesh, bones, and marrow, and also one’s own body and mind dropped off. [tr. Leighton and Okumura]

When Dōgen Zenji held an ango 安居 (practice period) for the first time, he appointed Ejo as the shuso (head monk). Nowdays the shuso is often just a formality, but at that time the shuso was selected from among the assembly as a person who had the capacity to lead the group and give a sermon in place of the master. At that time, Ejo did give a sermon.

To distinguish him or her from the group, the shuso puts a white cloth at the edge of the okesa. It is called hassan, which means the person has completed sanzen and has proven to be enlightened. When the shuso wears hassan at the edge of his okesa, it means that the master has acknowledged that this person has completed sanzen.

I don’t think there were so many practitioners at Koshoji [Dōgen’s temple] at that time; it was a small group. Dōgen Zenji mentioned that we should not call a sōrin 叢林 (Zen sangha; the term takes its meaning from “a group of different kinds of trees”) big or small depending on how many monks are practicing there. It’s not a matter of number. Daisōrin 大叢林( “great sōrin“) means that there is even a small number of people who have the real authentic spirit of the Way. This spirit is the most important thing.

Muju was a contemporary of Dōgen Zenji. He tried to build the first sōdō in Japan, and in his fundraising campaign (kanjin 勧進 ) materials, he explained that he wanted to construct a building about 12 meters wide and put the Shoso Monju [usually Manjushri, as below] statue at center of room with the monks sitting around it. He mentioned that the monks would live and sleep there, which means that he already had the image that monks would spend their lives within the sōdō. He wrote the kanjin materials to ask for help and also to share his vision for the kind of building it would be and life that was going to happen there.

Entering the sōdō means not to take “myself” into the space. If we put “ourselves” into the practice, it makes the practice of knowing who we really are more difficult. The Way of Tea is largely based on Zen. I once visited a certain tea house and was guided by a tea master who explained about the nijiriguchi 躙り口, the small entrance to the tea house. It’s the same size as a coffin. In the past we did not cremate the body, so when someone died we arranged the body in the zazen posture in the coffin, called zakan 座棺 (“sitting coffin”), and buried it under the ground.

The tearoom door is the same size as a coffin. The nijiriguchi implies that even the samurai has to take off his sword and set it aside when entering the tea ceremony room. For samurai, the sword is their life, so a samurai putting down the sword implies death. We die once and then enter the tea room. Only after this can we receive the tea freshly. There is the expression ichigo ichie (“one time, one meeting”). Master and guest become completely one through drinking tea. I’ve also practiced tea ceremony, and I used to visit my tea master’s house the day before my lesson to completely clean it. Then I smoothed the ash for the charcoal and cleaned the wooden frames on the shōji. To clean everything was to clean my heart/mind. It made me ready for the lesson. The tea ceremony is not just drinking tea, it’s following the many detailed manners. It includes cleaning, and it’s a very important activity in the Zen temple.

I’d like to talk about sōji (cleaning). One of my favorite books is Zenmonhōkun (Zen Gate Jeweled Instructions), which I often re-read. In the second volume of this book there is a story of Setsudō Dōgō Zenji, a Chinese Zen master who was jūshoku of Senpokuji, a very big temple. As he got older, he had a thought of retiring. When he had this thought, a traveling monk visited his temple. Setsudo Zenji asked this traveling monk, “Where are you from?” He answered, “I came from Fukushu in China.” Setsudou asked, “On the way to my temple, did you meet someone who impressed you?” “Even though I did not meet this person face to face, there is one person who impressed me.” The Zen master asked, “How do you know that this person is impressive if you didn’t meet him? Who is this person?” “This person is named Gohon Zenji and he is living in Hakusan. First of all, although I didn’t see him when I visited his temple, the pathway was very clean and neat. Then, walking along the pathway, I saw the hondo and there was a candle there. I could feel the wonderful fragrance. Also, the monks there received me very carefully and guided me around the temple. The sound of the bell was also very moving. Everything I experienced there was so beautiful and impressive. That’s how I knew that Gohon Zenji, who is in charge of this temple, is impressive even though I didn’t see him.”

There is an expression, sōji wa soji. Sōji is cleaning, but there is another word soji that means “creating self.” Cleaning is creating self. Ji can also mean “temple,” so cleaning is also creating the temple.

Through cleaning we can clarify who we are. Cleaning outside is cleaning inside. In the Way of Tea we let go of all attachment and then we can receive the tea offered. The occasions in which we can give and receive the tea are unrepeatable. We cannot have them any more, so we have to take them more seriously. The same thing can be said of our life and death. It’s a matter of how to live and how to die. That’s a very important matter in the Way of Tea and the Way of Zen.

This is what Dōgen Zenji said about birth and death: “You should know this. Life and death are the activity of the Buddha Way. Life and death are the essential furnishing of the Buddha house. It is useful when it is needed. It is clear when clarity is attained.”

This means we have to be clear about whether each and every activity of our practice in a daily situation is in accordance with the Way or not. Zen should be understood through the practice just as you know the warmth or cold of water by putting your hand into it. What I said is not enough, and eventually you have to go to the sōdō, live there under the guidance of the master, and know what I have been talking about by yourself. When lovers each carry a piece of a pendant cut in half, it symbolizes that they are perfectly matched. Acknowledgment of enlightenment by the master is something like this, and without it the Way cannot be correctly transmitted, according to Dōgen.

Learning at the sōdō through ango is different than the learning we have at school – it’s not a scholastic learning. The important point is being checked by the master. What we believe is right through our rational thinking is not always correct. Maybe psychologically we can be content with rational understanding, but it’s only a psychological contentment. Our learning at the sōdō is something beyond rational understanding, so it’s very important for us to follow what the master says without inserting “my idea” into the practice. It’s particularly important not to live like this for a short period but to continue to live this way for a long time. If you spend your life this way with your master, in one year you learn one year’s amount. If you spend ten years, you learn ten years’ amount. If fifteen, fifteen years’ amount.

I’ve touched on many topics, but everything I mentioned I’d like you to understand experientially by putting on your okesa and living in the sōdō. Rational thinking is like digging a hole in the ground, and then you fall in. Buddha’s teaching and practice is going beyond this rational thinking. Maybe some of you might have a mini-breakthrough, but if you stay there, that’s not enough. We have to embody the Buddha’s teaching in everyday situations. That’s what we should do; every action is Buddha’s activity, but also we have to embody it in the daily life of each of us. That’s how we can radiate the illumination cultivated by the practice. The founder of Kenchoji in Kamakura, Daigaku Zenji, wrote an article in which he said that even though we are not awakened, each time we do zazen we create one Buddha. The zazen of one day is a Buddha of one day. The zazen of one lifetime is the Buddha of one lifetime.
    Scenes of Toshoji

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you for your support.

I am ready to go to monastery.
    This is Kesa gouri.

Oryoki,kesa,zagu,and some equipment inside.

I will leave tomorrow.
    Good luck everyone!

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Thank you for your support.

I am ready to go to monastery.
    This is Kesa gouri.

Oryoki,kesa,zagu,and some equipment inside.

I will leave tomorrow.
    Good luck everyone!

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen
    And here is a shot of Kakunen actually flying the thing on his way to the monastery ...

Gassho, J

STLah

This is very inspiring, Kakunen, thank you

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    And here is a shot of Kakunen actually flying the thing on his way to the monastery ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    ONLY YOU COULD’VE COME UP WITH THAT

SatToday lah
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

What is actually in the Kesa Gouri ... what Kakunen will wear to travel to and enter Tosho-ji:

1  網代笠(あじろがさ)Ajiro-gasa
    2  墨染(すみぞめ)の直綴(じきとつ)Sumizome-no-jikitotsu
    3  小袖(こそで)Kosode
    4  坐蒲(ざぶ)Zabu
    5  直綴の裳(も)の部分 Jikitotsu-no-mo
    6  脚絆(きゃはん)Kyahan
    7  草鞋(わらじ)Waraji
    8  丸紐(まるひも)Maruhimo
    9  應量器(おうりょうき)[浄巾と共に風呂敷で包んでいる]Ohryoki
    10  袈裟文庫(けさぶんこ)Kesabunko
    11  鉢単(はったん)Hattan
    12  風呂敷 Furoshiki
    13  後付(あとづ)け行李(こうり)Atozuke-no-kohri
    14  手巾(しゅきん)Shukin
    15  頭陀袋(ずだぶくろ)Zutabukuro
    16  絡子(らくす)[丸く見えるのは絡子の環珮(かんぱい)Rakusu
    17  坐蒲につけられた前後の印(しるし)Zabu-ni-tsukerareta-zenngo-no-shirushi

Priest who does the pilgrimage from a country to another just like the cloud which goes empty, or the flowing water may not become settled, so the priest who travels were called "unsui (=cloud and water)"; especially the priest of the Zen sect was called this way. The figure in the photo wears the formal costume for the monk of the Zen sect to practice asceticism travels. He wears a "hitatare" kimono, dyed in ink-black color, and a "maruguke-no-obi (=obi band with the stuffing inside)" band which is called "shukin (=hand cloth)" in ink-black color.: a pair of white "kyahan" leg protectors, "waraji" straw sandals, a "Gojoh-gesa" surplice called "rakusu" on the shoulder. He hungs a "zutabukuro" bag on the chest and a "kesa-fumikura (=surplice book warehouse)" case in front and a "atozuke-kohri" wicker portmanteau backside of the body. He also wears a "ajiro-gasa" hat and has a "zabu" in the left hand. Things like a "kesa" surplice and a "zagu" items are installed in the "kesa-fumikura" case and then they are covered with a "kesa-bunko-fukuro" bag. A set of "ohryohki" bowls and a "johkin (=purity cloth)" is wrapped and fastened to the "furoshi (=bathroom carpet)", a Japanese wrapping cloth. [The "ohryohki" is a set of bowls which a priest uses as tableware. The priest brings also to religious mendicancy, and food is received. It is usually a set of five bowls in pile.]; a black covering paper called "hattan" is inserted into the lower part of them. The rest of the personal effects, such as a "mizu-ita (=water board)" board, a pair of "hashi" chopsticks, a "hashi-bukuro" bag, are wrapped and fastened by a "doh-hatsu-bukuro" bag or a "furoshiki" bag and are hung with a "maru-himo" string. The necessaries for days are installed in the "atozuke-gohri" bag and tied up with the "maru-himo (=round string)" string and are hung in fron and back of the body. The costume style in the photo has not change since the Zen sect introduction; the same costume can be seen on the streets today.

https://terebess.hu/zen/szoto/ruha.html
    Gassho, J

ST

Good bye
    I will go by my foot.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 04-07-2021 at 11:19 PM.

Good bye
    I will go by my foot.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Safe journey and do your best, friend! Deep bows to you. See you very soon!

SatToday lah
    Bion

Gambatte
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Sounds awesome, Japan is a beautiful place. So much to learn. Send letters regularly and wash behind your ears! ;p. We look foreward to hearing your stories when you return.
    Gassho
    David
    Sat

Safe and good travels!

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

I wish to offer sincere apology for inept comments yesterday, for my ignorance and ineptitude. At this point in my own life, my BP an AS were just beginning to show up, yet because in my culture there has an often too harsh work ethic, I went through similar hardships. I applaud this young man and on soon I will be making a contribution.
    Gassho
    Deep bows
    In all sincerity
    May you succeed
    Tai Shi
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    I wish to offer sincere apology for inept comments yesterday, for my ignorance and ineptitude. At this point in my own life, my BP an AS were just beginning to show up, yet because in my culture there has an often too harsh work ethic, I went through similar hardships. I applaud this young man and on soon I will be making a contribution.
    Gassho
    Deep bows
    In all sincerity
    May you succeed
    Tai Shi
    But you said nothing wrong, Tai Shi, that I can see, so take it easy. No te precupes. I am not sure about your concern.

Gassho, J

STLah

Hi Treelearer

Thank you for all support to me.

Yesterday we finished 3 month summer Ango.

So I was allowed to go out of temple for 3 days.

So I just want to say to you.

In this Ango was very hard but Shuso(He came from Berlin)(Shuso mean first monk of practice monk)who practiced at Antaiji and who want to sit Zazen.

So helpful for me.

I try to write detail.

Gassho
    Sat /Lah
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 07-13-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Hi Treelearer

So I allowed to go out of temple for 3 days.

In this Ango was very hard but Shuso(He came from Berlin)(Shuso mean first monk of practice monk)who practiced at Antaiji and who want to sit Zazen.

So helpful for me.

I try to write detail.

Gassho
    Sat /Lah
    Kakunen

Hi Treelearer

So I allowed to go out of temple for 3 days.

So helpful for me.

I try to write detail.

Gassho
    Sat /Lah
    Kakunen

Kakunen!!! I am so happy to hear from you! I hope you’re doing well and thank you for coming to say hello and update us!!! Bowing deeply to you, brother!!

SatToday
    Bion

Hi Treelearer

So I was allowed to go out of temple for 3 days.

So helpful for me.

I try to write detail.

Gassho
    Sat /Lah
    Kakunen

Gassho,
    Koushi
    ST
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

I try to write my mind.

After I arrived at there I was nervous but I met old friends ,I could find motivation at there.

We practiced at Antaiji,so we love Zazen and do hard all things.

Lots of practitioner monk who borned at temple,so they just want to get license to be head monk.

I realized that they love bad rumor and they want to know how to sabotage.

Although I am fresh monk at there but I accept to do lots of role without experience.

And also I know bad rumor is not truth.

Very lucky for me I am supported by old friends and have experience at another temple and know bad side of our ego.

I know very simple truth,believe the way of Buddha dharma,just see the truth,do best,live right here now,sit Zazen and throw bad thought with breath.

And when I (we)try to find truth of Buddha dharma,we can meet good teacher,friend,temple.

We all being have seeds of Buddha dharma.

Gassho
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 07-13-2021 at 10:03 PM.

Yes, like any people in a club, office, high school, there can be gossip and politics.

Some monks (not all) are there primarily because to get a license to run their father's temple is just required for their job, so they gossip, do "office politics." People are people everywhere.

You are very wise not to be bothered by that, and to make friends with the people who are there sincerely.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-13-2021 at 09:34 PM.

We all being have seeds of Buddha dharma.

gassho
    d shonin stlah today, mostly lah but more sitting in the evening

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, like any people in a club, office, high school, there can be gossip and politics.

Some monks (not all) are there primarily because to get a license to run their father's temple is just required for their job, so they gossip, do "office politics." People are people everywhere.

You are very wise not to be bothered by that, and to make friends with the people who are there sincerely.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Yes.

My room mate who come from France,who practice at Dogen Sangha under Master Nishijima.

He knows Taigu.

I think Dharma friend is very important.

Ordinary time he works at Tokyo University and has Zazen group.

And Shuso(First trainee monk of this Ango)who come from Germany(who train at Antaiji),is very strict and soft,we support each other.

And also my Japanese old friend(Senpai:先輩) support very well.

Toshoji is Soto official international monastery.

But lots of monks doesn’t try to communicate and talk and accept international common language and habit.

I think if we try to accept neighbors,we try to know roots of personality.

As Jundo and Treeleaf accept me,I try to accept neighbors.

My teacher sended letter to me,he writes 和して同ぜす。Harmonize but disagree ?in English?

I try to communicate all member of Toshoji Sangha but I am not influenced from bad thing.

PS ;In Hossenshi at last month I met Muho.

Gassho
    Sat today
    Kakunen

Last edited by Kakunen; 07-14-2021 at 02:25 AM.

Great to hear from you, Kakunen

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Thank you for writing to us on your travels, Kakunen. We all support your efforts!

-satToday
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Very inspiring, Kakunen. We all admire your dedication.

Gassho
    STlah
    Shoki

It sounds a bit like Bodhidarma's (attr.) Two Entrances. 理入 and 行入. To accept circumstance and hardship as they come, while not giving up one's principles and remaining centered in zazen. _()_ _()_ _()_

gassho
    d. shonin sat and lah

Thank you Kakunen.
    Your practice is inspiring.

Good luck.

Gassho
    Sat