Thread: A Treeleaf Music Hall Collaboration

A Treeleaf Music Hall Collaboration

Hello friends.

This one we´re excited about. By WE, I mean fellow Treeleafer Tairin and myself.
    Back in January when we started this little Music Hall experiment, Tairin posted this :

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Music is a huge part of my life. I’ve been involved since my mid teens playing in local bands and playing for myself. Always original music (I never had much interest in playing covers). I am primarily a guitarist although I have dabbled with other instruments.

I don’t really like trying to describe my music because inevitably categorizations are limiting but the music is primarily instrumental and ambient. I am mostly self taught. I am a member of SOCAN with somewhere around 120 registered works.

Here is video of a live performance a few years ago with my friend Mark. I am standing just off camera to the left (you’ll catch a few glimpses of me). We are playing to a huge audience of about 25 people.

We haven’t been able to do much since COVID so back in the Spring I decided to do some solo recordings of my own material and post it. It is just my guitar, a looper and a microphone stuck in front of an amp. Here’s a sample of that

https://awarrenpratten.bandcamp.com/track/for-g.

Yes Bandcamp is a commercial site but I make my music freely available for personal use and enjoyment.

Anyways like I said music is a huge part of my life. I don’t specifically try to make “Zen music” but I see my music and spirituality being tightly intertwined. Looking forward to seeing where the Treeleaf Music Hall goes (great name by the way )

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

(My apologies for all the sentences. It is impossible to limit myself to 3 sentences here)

Checking out Tairin´s Bandcamp I came across a guitar piece called ¨For G¨, which I fell in love with. I wrote Tairin privately telling him I felt I could write lyrics and melody to that track and asked if he was interested in maybe giving it a go with me. He was kind enough to say yes, which I am now very grateful for, and we started a little adventure of creating something together.

Exactly two months now from that moment, we´d like to share with you the result of that process. We hope you enjoy the song we created and that you feel inspired to reach out to other fellow creators on Treeleaf and maybe come up with a project of your own.

¨For G (I Am Home)¨ comes in two versions, the original format, just guitar and vocals (which by the way Tairin prefers), and a pop version that has a more elaborate and let´s say contemporary production behind. ( yep, my favorite version ). Just click on the titles below and you can listen. We would like to kindly ask you though, not to share the links with anyone outside of Treeleaf for now.

For G (I Am Home) Pop Mix

For G (I Am Home)

I HAD to go over 3 sentences here, so please excuse me for that!

SatToday lah
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bion; 03-23-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you Bion. I’ve really enjoyed collaborating on this song with you. I am very happy with how they’ve turned out.

You’ll be pleased to know that my wife has been singing along to the song on the stereo.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Is that Jake on vocals? A very warm voice.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

STLah
    Yes it is. He has a great voice.

Tairin

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you!!

SatToday
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Wow, I like that! Congratulations to you Song, it's great.

Gassho,
    Horin
    Stlah

Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Horin View Post
    Wow, I like that! Congratulations to you Song, it's great.

Gassho,
    Horin
    Stlah

Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk
    My friend!!!! Danke schön

SatToday
    Bion

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Wow guys that was beautiful ! Tairin's original track really moved me but Jake your vox and that melody line really takes it all to another level. I have deliberately not listened to the pop version yet, as I am 30 minutes away from my first Open Mic and first time playing in public albeit via Zoom. That was inspirational.

Deep bows to you both.

Gassho

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I loved both versions, this was wonderfully made and I'm so impressed by you both! The lyrics and melody elicit such calming nostalgic vibes that I've been lost in it for an hour now

Thank you both for your work and sharing,

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Great work, both of you, and lovely to hear this first Treeleaf Music Hall collaboration. I hope it will be the first of many!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Wow guys that was beautiful ! Tairin's original track really moved me but Jake your vox and that melody line really takes it all to another level. I have deliberately not listened to the pop version yet, as I am 30 minutes away from my first Open Mic and first time playing in public albeit via Zoom. That was inspirational.

Deep bows to you both.

Gassho

Sat
    Thank you so very much!!!
    Hope your open mic went great. Let us know!!

SatToday
    Bion

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post

Deep bows to you both.

Gassho

Sat
    First performance!!! That’s exciting. I hope it goes well Seishin.

Thank you for your comments.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Great work, both of you, and lovely to hear this first Treeleaf Music Hall collaboration. I hope it will be the first of many!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Thanks Kokuu I told you weeks ago how excited I was about this. Happy you like it!

SatToday
    Bion

Beautiful, so beautiful (both versions).
    Gassho,
    Naiko
    stlah

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Really nice

Gassho,
    Phill /Sōka
    sat

Fantastic stuff there. Really nice job!!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Beautiful song, thank you both

Gassho
    Kevin
    ST

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How lovely to come back to Tree Leaf after some very difficult months and find this song ( was also working on some lyrics months ago).
    I love the vocals/guitar version for its simplicity.
    You have a great voice Jake!

Thank you - made my day.

Gassho

Jinyo

Quote Originally Posted by Jinyo View Post
    How lovely to come back to Tree Leaf after some very difficult months and find this song ( was also working on some lyrics months ago).
    I love the vocals/guitar version for its simplicity.
    You have a great voice Jake!

Thank you - made my day.

Gassho

Jinyo
    Thank you and I am happy if it brought you a bit of joy. I’ve thought about you a lot because of this song, ever since you posted the lyrics you wrote, because we seemed to tap into the same emotions that guitar melody was putting out.
    I hope everything got easier now Jinyo!

SatToday
    Bion

Thank you for that. Solid songwriting, production and playing. I appreciate the space left in too, tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by kurisu View Post
    Thank you for that. Solid songwriting, production and playing. I appreciate the space left in too, tasty!
    I am glad you liked it Kuisu. My original track did leave a lot of space which is likely why Bion picked up on is to write lyrics and sing on.

Thanks for listening

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by bad_buddha_007 View Post
    Very nice!

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today
    Thank you, friend!

SatToday
    Bion