Thread: 82/108 Gates of Dharma Illumination

82/108 Gates of Dharma Illumination

The Eighty-second Gate

Right balanced state is a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with it] we attain undistracted samādhi

Right Balanced State :
    being in harmony and properly aligned with all dharmas and the universe

View Image

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

With this gate, my mind keeps returning to an image of a spinning toy top. For some reason, that seems to represent the kind of balance that we’re practicing. The universe is in perpetual motion, yet there is a calm stillness at the center of it all. Residing in that stillness, we can see the whole world more clearly.

Stillness in motion
    The practice
    Of a spinning top

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Quote Originally Posted by Seikan View Post
    With this gate, my mind keeps returning to an image of a spinning toy top. For some reason, that seems to represent the kind of balance that we’re practicing. The universe is in perpetual motion, yet there is a calm stillness at the center of it all. Residing in that stillness, we can see the whole world more clearly.

Stillness in motion
    The practice
    Of a spinning top

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    My mind recently has been seeing a vision of practice as a sphere or bearing following a light scratch of a spiral as it spins out from a center point. The bearing only stays in the groove if it is allowed to proceed without any pushing in any direction; otherwise, it moves out of the pathway easily. But then it can be allowed to settle right back into the groove, and keep moving toward it's never-approaching destination.

Balance is attained
    With ease
    If you know all Dharma is contained in this:
    Refrain from taking life.

Gassho
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post
    My mind recently has been seeing a vision of practice as a sphere or bearing following a light scratch of a spiral as it spins out from a center point. The bearing only stays in the groove if it is allowed to proceed without any pushing in any direction; otherwise, it moves out of the pathway easily. But then it can be allowed to settle right back into the groove, and keep moving toward it's never-approaching destination.

Balance is attained
    With ease

Gassho
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    Fascinating!!
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post

Balance is attained
    With ease

Gassho
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Wu Wei?

Gassho
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Inshin View Post
    Wu Wei?
    Maybe, from some perspectives. It is hard to for my Western mind to think of wu wei as different from forced abstraction or indifference. I think that conceptually it depends on an existential paradigm that I struggle with.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.