Thread: 'The ZEN of EVERYTHING! Podcast' ... Episode 46 ... Mnmlsm

'The ZEN of EVERYTHING! Podcast' ... Episode 46 ... Mnmlsm

Episode 46 ... Mnmlsm

Stuff and minimalism. Tiny homes and hoarders. Japanese apartments and British farmhouses. Paper walls. Space. Time.
    THE LINK: https://www.zen-of-everything.com/46

For more about the podcast, where to send your serious or silly questions ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-ON-THE-AIR%21

You can also sign up by RSS, or hear it many places such as Spotify and Apple Podcasts (follow the links above).

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I love this podcast.

I would mess with my wife when Marie kondo was first on the scene; whenever walking into a room, if there was clutter, I’d yell “KONDOOOOOOOO!!!”

Also measurement systems in order of preference:

1. English
    2. Metric
    3. Starbucks

Great podcast again

gassho

rish
    -stlah

Hi there,

Sorry, there were a few things in this episode that I found a bit odd.
    You somewhat criticise Marie Kondo for making money, but where is the problem with that? I think, it doesn’t matter at all, obviously a lot of people benefit from her methods and she doesn’t prescribe anyone to be poor. She explains several effective methods for decluttering, so I don’t care whether her house has one room or 20 rooms.

You also seem to have quite a different definition of what minimalism really is.
    I’ve been following the scene for at least a decade and it is certainly not about getting rid of stuff, because it is bad to possess things. It is more about the problem that all too often things end up possessing us, that people actually are attached to their things. It is about keeping those objects that you really value and get rid of the unnecessary clutter that’s just a burden to you. It is about not buying a new smartphone every one or two years. It’s about not trying to keep up with the Joneses anymore, or working your way up the corporate ladder and thereby ruining your health. It is about finding out what really matters in your life and that’s hopefully not materialism.

Minimalism doesn’t say you shouldn’t possess anything, but it is about making conscious choices about what and when to buy. Do you really need this?
    In their advertisements companies try to tell us what we need. They make us believe we gotta have this and that.

A nice quick read I can recommend:

https://www.theminimalists.com/not/

“Love people and use things, because the opposite never works.” That’s one of their mottos and I think they have a point.

In an age in which our economy is based on endless growth and consumerism that’s for me a pre-requisite for a way of life that’s enabling us to have a sustainable future, steering away from the collision course on which this planet currently is.

Sorry for the long rant, actually I enjoy listening to your podcast, I just thought you had a wrong impression of what minimalism is.

BTW: I am not a minimalist, but I benefit from many ideas.

Gassho,

Daitetsu

#sat2day
    Last edited by Daitetsu; 03-18-2021 at 11:25 PM.
    no thing needs to be added

There is one story told in the discussion that really says it for me. It tells of a Tibetan Rinpoche who was staying at the home of one of his wealthy students in California. The student was saying, "I really enjoy having beautiful things around, I like having a house in this beautiful valley ... but I'm not attached to any of it. I enjoy it, but if it weren't here, I wouldn't mind." At that point, the Rinpoche picked up a coffee pot and started to tilt it over a $35,000 Persian carpet. There was no description of how the story ended, but I think the point is clear.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE