Thread: March 5th-6th OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI

March 5th-6th OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI

We will continue our series of reflections on the Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo)
    (text below in this thread)

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

(note that we began about 15 minutes late today ... )

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    [url]TO BE HERE IN A FEW DAYS

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-08-2021 at 12:51 AM. Reason: One-way youtube link posted.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

We will look at the following lines from the Hannya Shingyo, Heart Sutra ...

The Heart of the Perfection of Great Wisdom Sutra*

A/vo/lo/ki/tes/va/ra/ Bo/dhi/satt/va/, A/wa/kened/ One/ of/ Com/pas/sion/,

In/ Praj/na/ Pa/ra/mi/ta/, the/Deep/ Prac/tice/ of/ Per/fect/ Wis/dom/*

Per/ceived/ the/ emp/ti/ness/ of /all /five /con/di/tions/,

And/ was/ free/ of/ suf/fer/ing/.

Dogen wrote in Shobogenzo Maka-hannya-haramitsu

“When Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara practices the profound prajñā-pāramitā, the whole body [one’s whole being 渾身の] reflects that the five aggregates are totally empty.” The five aggregates are form, feeling, perception, volition, and consciousness. They are five instances of prajñā. Reflection is prajñā itself.

My late master, the eternal buddha, says:

Whole body like a mouth, hanging in space;
    Not asking if the wind is east, west, south, or north,
    For all others equally, it speaks prajñā.
    Chin ten ton ryan chin ten ton.

This is the speech of prajñā [transmitted] by Buddhist patriarchs from rightful successor to rightful successor. It is prajñā as the whole body, it is prajñā as the whole of others, it is prajñā as the whole self, and it is prajñā as the whole east, west, south, and north.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-05-2021 at 07:09 AM.

Our son Leon graduated from High School this week. I can't believe that it is the same little kid who was just listening to Sesame Street.

So ... our Hokey Pokey today ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Our son Leon graduated from High School this week. I can't believe that it is the same little kid who was just listening to Sesame Street.
    Congratulations to Leon! That is such an important milestone to celebrate.

And that is the one version of the Hokey Pokey that received endless playtime in our house back in the day—I think I still have it memorized...

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-10-2021 at 12:57 AM.
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Jundo,

Congratulations to your son. It made me think of himn when we met and he seemed so young (because I have lived so long) Much joy for his next Chapter.

Doshin
    St

Hi all,

I'm afraid I will not make tonight's session but I will sit with you across space and time over the weekend.

Gassho

Ryokudo,

SAT/LAH

Looking forward to Zazenkai. I’m sure it will have me on the edge of my seat.

Ps I will be a spectral presence joined from the near future.

Gassho,
    Kevin
    Satoday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    One way video link is posted. See you all soon!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Congratulations, Leon!
    Gassho, Jim
    ST/LaH

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-10-2021 at 12:57 AM.
    No matter how much zazen we do, poor people do not become wealthy, and poverty does not become something easy to endure.
    Kōshō Uchiyama, Opening the Hand of Thought

Congratulations to Leon, exciting times ahead!

Gassho
    Sat

I must be 10 minutes late, please sit Zazen quietely until I arrive. Thank you.

Doshin
    St

Thank you [mention]Jundo [/mention] for yet another shmoog zazenkai! Thank you [mention]Sekishi [/mention] for your internet creating witchcraft, you boddhisatva of a thousand wireless connections, you! Thanks everyone else for your presence and encouragement!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you all for your practice. Really enjoying the Heart Sutra teachings!
    Congratulations and well done to Leon!
    Gassho,
    Naiko,
    stlah

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and all for another wonderful zazenkai! I feel extra schmoogy now.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

A Chinese Guan-yin, looking rather Madonna--ish (meaning Mary, not the singer), complete with the Crucifix-ish jewelry ...

The scholars' speculations on the original of this style:

Yi.i (1990a: 81) considers that in China there was a strong influence of Christianity on the
    Child Giving Guanyin by Christian missionaries during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.
    But rather than missionary activity influencing images of Guanyin, it appears to have been trade
    activity. Ivory images of the Virgin Mary were commissioned from Zhangzhou, on the south east
    coast of China, by the Spanish in the mid-sixteenth century after they had conquered the
    Philippines. These figures were styled after the Gothic ivory images which were to be seen in
    Europe (Watson ed.1984: 39-41 ). The Chinese sculptors saw the opportunity for expanding the
    market by modifYing the images to look like Guanyin. By removing the cross from the rosary and
    replacing it with a tassel, by taking away the dove or orb from the child's hand and making the
    features 'Chinese', Mary was easily turned into Guanyin (see Plate 82). This influence has led to
    the speculation that it was the iconography of the Virgin Mary that was responsible for the long
    white veil and the child in the arms ofGuanyin. Certainly there was a profusion of white porcelain
    figures of Guanyin produced in Fujian province and modem figures in white porcelain can still be
    seen in Southeast Asia to this day. The image shown in Plate 83, from my own collection, bears
    a cross which has obviously been influenced by Christianity. Yet production of this type of
    image indicate that images of Songzi Guanyin were already in existence and the sculptors knew
    they would have a ready market for these new-style Guanyin figures.
    Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you all for lovely Zazenkai.

It's possible that the representation of Kanon with many hands has been influenced from Hindu Goddess Durga
    Goddess Durga was incarnated with the combined powers of many Gods and bestowed with gifts, weapons and boons, making her the all-powerful Shakti or 'Durgatinashini' the one who eliminates all suffering. The ten arms of the deity symbolize that she protects her devotees from all directions namely the eight corners and from the sky and the earth.

The ten hands of Goddess Durga hold in them a conch, discuss, lotus, sword, bow with arrow, trishul, mace, thunderbolt, snake and flame. Maa Durga carries these ten powerful weapons and sits on the king of all animals, lion to go into battle against evil.
    https://www.oneindia.com/india/in-pi...e-2947837.html

IMG_20210306_105536.jpg

Gassho
    Sat

Such a wonderful Zazenkai.

Thank you Sekishi for all the behind-the-scenes duct tape and glue digital wizardry to keep everything running

Thank you Jundo for a lovely talk. I can't believe I had not looked at suffering in that way yet in buddhism (wishing things were other than how they are), especially with my interest in Stoicism.

And of course, thank you everyone who sat and will sit, so awesome to practice with you all.

Gassho,

Ryan S
    Sat Today
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everyone else for another zazenkai!
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah

Jundo, congratulations to your son!
    Thank you everybody for your efforts. Lovely talk!

Gassho,
    Mags ST

I sat Zazenkai in two sessions - one Sunday morning, one early this morning. Hopefully that's not cheating.

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and all.

Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
    I sat Zazenkai in two sessions - one Sunday morning, one early this morning. Hopefully that's not cheating.

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and all.

Gassho,
    Kevin
    Sat
    I don't think that is cheating at all! I have split them across 3-4 sessions before

Thank you for your practice, Kevin

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

A child's rite of passage is always a bittersweet time.

Jundo, congratulations on your son's success! May he continue to bring you joy and inspiration.

Thank you for Zazenkai. Although I have not been able to join live for awhile, I deeply appreciate the opportunity to sit with you.

Gassho and deep bows,
    Mui
    Sat/LaH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you all for sitting.

Beautiful talk on Avalokitesvara/Kannon/Kuan Yin!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat(this) today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Guanyin at the hut has that necklace. Very interesting. _()_

555.jpeg

gassho
    doyu shonin sat/lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Finally finished this morning. Thank you everyone, wonderful talk as usual Jundo.

sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you Jundo and all for a sharing zazenkai. Another beautiful talk

Congratulations Leon!

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah
    Last edited by Yokai; 03-11-2021 at 11:48 PM.

Disabled I sat with part of our recording making each of our states of mind. First Kinhin, walking states of mind, then metta, for Shōnen Risa Bear, care loving kindness for each and all, then sitting, Sitting Shikataza, then our vows, verse of atoonment and four vows, then farwell.
    Gasshp
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-13-2021 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling, lots, including dyslexia.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

No Zazenkai for me tonight (12 March 2021). Broken ribs are quite a challenge. I will catch up in stages during the week.

Perhaps the strong pain meds will allow me yo move more freely after a few days.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post
    No Zazenkai for me tonight (12 March 2021). Broken ribs are quite a challenge. I will catch up in stages during the week.

Perhaps the strong pain meds will allow me yo move more freely after a few days.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    We will be sitting for your ribs. Good time to contemplate impermanence of the body and the preciousness of our bones.

Gassho, Jundo

Studied neuroscience for years. Your talk flipped a switch. They really are the same at the heart of the matter. Some difference of course but nothing to write home about. Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho
    Meishin
    stlah