Thread: Am I a Good Buddhist?

Am I a Good Buddhist?

All of Domyo’s talks at Zen Studies Podcast are good but I thought this recent one was exceptional. She addresses a topic that I suspect many of us ask ourselves from time to time.... Am I a good Buddhist?

https://zenstudiespodcast.com/am-i-a-good-buddhist/

This link points to the audio and written transcript of her talk.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

This is a really good podcast and episode; thank you Tairin

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

From an interview with the poet, Gary Snyder: The last book he wants to write, he says, is a “personal dharma memoir,” a chronicle of Buddhism in the late twentieth century. “Like the rock climbers say, having fun doesn’t mean you have to have fun,” he says. “Being a Buddhist doesn’t necessarily mean you have to be a good Buddhist.”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2.../20/zen-master

Gassho
    Meishin
    stlah

I haven't listened to the podcast due to rubbish internet connection however I don't really feel like a Buddhist. Maybe I don't have a connection with that term as it kinda reminds me of the words Catholic, Christian, Muslim and Jew. These are just labels or words that don't necessarily mean that that label denotes an adherence to the teachings associated with that word. For example I was Christened when I was a baby as a member of the Church of England, a Christian Church. Yet my parents, grandparents myself or any other relative I can think of have never been to a Church service beyond weddings, funerals and christenings. Am I a Christian? Technically yes. Practically no. I don't have an invisible friend. Am I a Buddhist? Technically yes but I feel that saying I am a student of the Buddha Dharma represents my relationship to Buddhism better than the word Buddhist. Am I a good student of the Buddha Dharma? That's for others to decide but I always try to do jand be better.
    Apologies for length.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Onka,

I suggest listening to the podcast if you can. It has very little to do with what you wrote above in your post. It has more to do with whether you live up to your ideals (whatever they are) of what a good Buddhist is... specifically about practice.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

This is a great episode, one I plan on listening to again soon.

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

That was nice. Thank you for sharing.

Doshin
    St

Sleeping on this talk I kept coming back to what Jundo advised me several years ago when I was trying to answer that question for myself. He said be a good a person (and sit). So that is what I strive for, I try to do the best I can. When I fall down I get back up. I see that a lot in this Sangha which motivates me..

Be well

Doshin
    St

Quote Originally Posted by Doshin View Post
    Sleeping on this talk I kept coming back to what Jundo advised me several years ago when I was trying to answer that question for myself. He said be a good a person (and sit). So that is what I strive for, I try to do the best I can. When I fall down I get back up. I see that a lot in this Sangha which motivates me..

Be well

Doshin
    St

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Interesting . Thank You.
    Dave
    SAT