Thread: Shunmyo Masuno, Zen Priest / Garden Designer

Shunmyo Masuno, Zen Priest / Garden Designer

Shunmyo Masuno, the Soto priest, garden designer and author of "Simple Living" which we read in our "no words" Book Club (and did some exercises from during Ango) ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...ractice-Circle

... has a short talk online about life this past year:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/o...mq7B_aB6Q9abmM

He has needed to design his gardens at a distance due to current travel restrictions, which is really hard in a field when every rock placement and shadow conveys a certain feeling of balance or imbalance. He says that all is impermanent and interconnected (really, "all things without separate self" is a better translation of the phrase), and we need to preserve the environment and spaces to breathe.

In any case, a nice take for anyone who enjoyed his book.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-01-2021 at 05:43 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo.
    I admire his garden designs from the very traditional to the very modern ones.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you, Roshi, that was very nice.

I am thinking of taking a corner of my garden (fairly large) and making a miniature Japanese garden section. There's a magnolia tree that would be very happy with some rocks and gravel nearby...

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Thank you, Jundo
    His artwork is amazing...

Gassho,
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Beautiful!
    Do you think he would design my garden as well?

Mags
    ST

Enjoyed his book and this talk.Thank you.

Doshin
    St

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Thank you Jundo. “Simple Living” was a great book that I have revisited since we read it together.

Ta
    Sat today and lah

Thank you Jundo. Personally, I find that our little garden back home is where I usually go to take a quick break from daily worries. I think we humans wouldn't find our problems to be so big if we all had the chance to sit under a tree or smell a flower.
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    Thank you, Roshi, that was very nice.

I am thinking of taking a corner of my garden (fairly large) and making a miniature Japanese garden section. There's a magnolia tree that would be very happy with some rocks and gravel nearby...

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat

Ryumon,

I constructed a small Japanese garden in the corner of my property. I'd suggest doing some research on the types of gardens, suitable plants, rocks, design, etc. to avoid design and technical errors and add a bit of authenticity. When weather cooperates, I sit zazen in this space as long as I can avoid getting pine sap on my zafu.

Gassho
    STlah
    Shoki

That was a lovely little talk, thank you.

Gassho,

Heiso
    StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk