Thread: Time to scream

Time to scream

"There's a Zen story about a monk who was deeply disturbed and disillusioned with Zen when he heard his master scream in pain and fear as he was being murdered by thieves. He thought that Zen was a fraud if it did not teach you to stay calm in the face of death. He expressed his concern to another teacher, later, who opened the young monk's eyes. He said, “Fool Zen is not about killing all feelings and becoming anesthetized, or numb, to pain and fear. Zen is about being free to scream loudly and fully when its time to scream." When it's time to scream, we scream; when it is time to laugh, we laugh, when it is time to cry, we cry; when it's cold, we're cold. when you're reviled, be reviled."

― Gerry Shishin Wick, The Book of Equanimity

Gassho,

Ryūmon

Sat
    流文

I know nothing.

KHAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

gassho

risho
    -stlah

ps: i promise i will not get wordy this time lol

Wonderful

Gassho,
    Horin

Stlah

Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Probably quite an important teaching for many of us to remember during these difficult times.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah.

I always remember at a Q&A with Zen teacher Geoffrey Shugan Arnold someone asked him if Zen Masters no longer have desires. He answered, "Of course we have desires. Otherwise" - at this point he held up his arms, frozen in a gesture of purposeful striding - "I'd be standing like a statue on 34th St. where my final desire left."

Gassho, Jim
    ST/LaH

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    No matter how much zazen we do, poor people do not become wealthy, and poverty does not become something easy to endure.
    Kōshō Uchiyama, Opening the Hand of Thought

In light of recent events, morning screaming has been extended indefinitely.

Sat today
    Adam

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ