Thread: February 26th-27th, 2021 - Our SPECIAL "NEHAN-E" ZAZENKAI!

February 26th-27th, 2021 - Our SPECIAL "NEHAN-E" ZAZENKAI!

WELCOME to our Memorial & Celebration of NEHAN-E, (Pari-Nirvana) the traditional day to mark the historical Buddha's death and passing from this visible world. This is also a day for each of us to remember in our homes those family and friends who have gone before. As well, we particularly recall Nishijima Gudo Wafu (who passed on January 28th, 2014) and Rempo Niwa Zenji (who passed September 7th, 1993). I will also be remembering two teachers who were mentors in Japan and great influences on Treeleaf, Jiho Sargent Roshi and Azuma Ikuo Roshi.

During this Zazenkai, we will commence with SPECIAL CHANTS & a CEREMONY to recall our parents, grand-parents, siblings, our relatives near and distant, all our ancestors reaching back through the generations, and our dear friends and other cherished ones who have passed.

This time, we have also added a special remembrance for children, born or unborn, now departed, as "we open our hearts to grief, to the bonds which will always remain, and proclaim our vow to care for the children of this world today."

Please sit with us 10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 8pm, LA 5pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (SHARIRAIMON in ENGLISH 1x / HEART SUTRA in JAPANESE) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 VERSE OF ATONEMENT & FOUR VOWS
    01:30 - 01:45(?) Informal Tea Time (All Welcome)

For this special Zazenkai, a statue of the reclining ‘Buddha Entering Parinirvana’, a little Jizo Bodhisattva as Protector of Children, and a Plaque dedicated to all past Generations of Zen Ancestors, will be given special prominence

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 02-26-2021 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added youtube one-way video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Today we also recall two mentors in Japan, great influences on Treeleaf, Jiho Sargent Roshi and Azuma Ikuo Roshi.

Rev. Jiho Sargent was a Soto priest, a friend, guide, mother and tough as nails voice of reason and common sense in my life for many years. I believe that I first sat with her in 1989 at the temple in Tokyo were she was a priest (Taisoji). She became a priest late in life, at age 49, and was also one of the few Westerners to be trained in a fully Japanese way exclusively in Japan (at the Soto school's special monasteries for women) and then served as an ordinary "parish priest" at Taisoji involved in the more mundane, "day-to-day" duties of a Zen priest in Japan ... a very unusual path for most foreign teachers. She passed in June, 2009.

Azuma Ikuo Roshi (東郁雄老師) shared tea with me, practicing his English and answering my silly questions, for most of 10 years when I sat with the weekly lay Zazenkai at Sojiji Honzan in Japan. He was a great Dogen scholar, lecturing us each week on Shobogenzo (that is what he is lecturing on in the picture above), and instructor of hundreds of young monks as well as the lay persons' group there (including quite a number of foreigners who would wander in). I may not have stayed with this practice without him. He was always so kind, down to earth.When I came here 30 or so years ago, my Japanese was pretty bad the first few years, and he lectured in Japanese ... but always took time to summarize in broken English so I would get the gist. Later, he returned to his temple of Jikouji in Kyushu. He left this visible world in February, 2011.

Their pictures are kept next to a statue of Kannon Bodhisattva in our Zendo.

Nice Bows.
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-26-2021 at 02:43 AM.

Our Ceremony today is below.

Information on the "At Home" remembrance which you may wish to undertake with your own family, is at this link:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-Zazenkai-2021

======================================

Parinirvana Ceremony (at Nehan-e Zazenkai Portion)

This Friday-Saturday, we will hold our netcast Zazenkai, with a special Ceremony to mark the event.

A statue of the reclining ‘Buddha Entering Parinirvana’ and a plaque which reads "For All Generations of Zen Ancestors" will be given special prominence.

The Ceremony will begin as usual, with Three Full Prostrations, but with the following differences:

- Shariraimon, in English recited 1x, will be our first chant.

- Hannya Shingyo (Heart Sutra) will be recited in Japanese.

- Followed by the Ino reading a special Dedication for Parinirvana

Ceremony begins as always but, after Lighting Incense and Three Prostration:

Ino: “The Verse of Homage to Buddha's Relics, Shariraimon” (shariRAImoooon)…

Instrumentation:[*] Bell; Accompanied by Mokugyo. (NOTE TO INO-DOAN: STYLE IS SIMILAR TO "HEART SUTRA IN ENGLISH, BUT SLOW. RECITE 1x, bells as indicated[*]

With/ whole/heart/ed/ gra/ti/tude/ we/ bow/
    to/ the/ re/lics/ still/ pre/sent of/ the/ True/ Bo/dy/ [*] of/ the/ Ta/tha/ga/ta/ Sha/kya/mu/ni,/
    who/ is/ ful/ly/ en/dowed/ with/ my/ri/ad/ vir/tues;/
    to/ the/ Dhar/ma/ Bo/dy/ which/ is/ Truth/ it/self;/
    and/ to/ the/ whole/ u/ni/verse/ which/ is/ his/ Stu/pa./
    With/ deep/ res/pect/ we/ ve/ner/ate/ the/ One/
    who /lived/ his/ life/ for/ the/ sake/ of/ all/ be/ings./
    Though/ the/ sus/ten/ance/ of/ Bud/dha,/ the/ Truth/
    en/ters/ us/ and/ we/ en/ter/ Truth./
    Let/ us/ strive/ to/ be/ne/fit/ all/ li/ving/ be/ings,/[*] a/rouse/ the/ thought/ of/ A/wa/ken/ing,/
    cul/ti/vate/ Bod/hi/sat/tva/ Prac/tice,/
    and/ to/ge/ther/ en/ter/ Per/fect/ Peace,/ [*] the/ pen/e/tra/tion/ of/ the/ e/qua/li/ty/ of/ all/ things./
    Now/ let/ us/ re/ver/ent/ly/ bow.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Then … Followed by 3 bells and offering of Incense:

Ino: “Maka Hannya Haramita Shin Gyo”

Following by Hannya Shingyo in Japanese

Kan Ji Zai Bo Satsu Gyo Jin Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ji Sho
    Ken Go[*] On Kai Ku Do I Sai Ku Yaku Sha Ri Shi Shiki Fu
    I Ku Ku Fu I Shiki Shiki Soku Ze Ku Ku Soku Ze Shiki Ju
    So Gyo Shiki Yaku Bu Nyo Ze Sha Ri Shi Ze Sho Ho Ku
    So Fu Sho Fu Metsu Fu Ku Fu Jo Fu Zo Fu Gen Ze Ko Ku
    Chu Mu Shiki Mu Ju So Gyo Shiki Mu Gen Ni Bi Ze Shin
    Ni Mu Shiki Sho Ko Mi Soku Ho Mu Gen Kai Nai Shi Mu
    I Shiki Kai Mu Mu Myo Yaku Mu Mu Myo Jin Nai Shi Mu
    Ro Shi Yaku Mu Ro Shi Jin Mu Ku Shu Metsu Do Mu Chi
    Yaku Mu Toku I Mu Sho Tok ko Bo Dai Sat Ta E Han-Nya
    Ha Ra Mi Ta Ko[*] Shin Mu Kei Ge Mu Kei Ge Ko Mu
    U Ku Fu On Ri Is-Sai Ten Do Mu So Ku Gyo Ne Han San
    Ze Sho Butsu E Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ko[*] Toku A Noku
    Ta Ra San Myaku San Bo Dai Ko Chi Han-Nya Ha Ra Mi
    Ta Ze Dai Jin Shu Ze Dai Myo Shu Ze Mu Jo Shu Ze Mu
    To Do Shu No Jo Is sai Ku Shin Jitsu Fu Ko Ko Setsu Han
    Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Shu Soku Setsu Shu Watsu Gya* Tei
    Gya Tei Ha Ra Gya Tei Hara[*] So Gya Tei Bo Ji Sowa Ka
    Han Nya Shin Gyo [* * *]
    Followed by Dedication after Heart Sutra, as follows:

Buddha Nature pervades the whole universe, Reality, existing right here now: We recall this day when some 2500 years ago, Shakyamuni Buddha, our historical Teacher, entered into Parinirvana. In reciting THE VERSE OF HOMAGE TO THE BUDDHA’S RELICS and THE HEART OF THE PERFECTION OF GREAT WISDOM SUTRA we offer our reverence, and dedicate this gathering, to our great original source teacher, Shakyamuni Buddha. On this day of his entry into Parinirvana, mindful of his Teachings, we go forward with boundless gratitude and joy and vow to practice endlessly…

The Pure Dharma Body of the Buddha is always clear, beyond birth and death and expressed by all things, yet cannot be seen so long as one is lost in duality. The Buddha lived within coming and going, birth and death, a man of great compassion for all living beings. For this we bow in gratitude, and aspire that we may illuminate our minds in the midst of delusion.

On this day we have gathered to commemorate our Great Teacher Shakyamuni Buddha’s entry into Parinirvana, and we offer incense, flowers, light, fruit and sweet water, all symbols of reverence, life and the satisfaction of all desires. We further dedicate the merit of this Zazen gathering in gratitude for his great Compassionate acts in leaving us these Timeless Teachings.

The moon over Mount Ryoju, the Vulture Peak, shines wonderously in all directions.

The sala trees bloom and their petals convey the fragrance of the Dharma down through time.

The Buddha transcended desire and his understanding has helped all who are deluded until this present moment. The merits of suchness will extend from the beginningless past to the endless future.

All the myriad forms of existence join in recognizing the profound importance of this day and wholeheartedly recite with us, some in words and some in silence. We are filled with awe at the countless voices which thus proclaim the Dharma, and we vow to embrace and sustain it endlessly. We also remember and dedicate this day and these efforts to all our parents, grand-parents, siblings, our relatives near and distant, all our ancestors reaching back through the generations, and our dear friends and other cherished ones who have passed from this seen world.

And for those children we recall, born or unborn, now departed, we open our hearts to grief, to the bonds which will always remain, and proclaim our vow to care for the children of this world today.

Thus, let the harmful effects of words, thoughts and actions be dispelled
    and Compassion bloom in perpetual spring.
    May we all realize and live the Enlightened Way together:

EVERYONE CHANTS:

ø All Buddhas throughout space and time
    ø All Bodhisattvas-Mahasattvas
    ø Maha • Prajna • Paramita ••••••• (then 3x PROSTRATIONS by EVERYONE) • • •

This is followed by the beginning of Zazen.
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-26-2021 at 02:36 AM.

I will be unable to sit with you live but, hope to view on Saturday. Thank you for this lovely tribute.

Gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

And let me mention, for all folks who would like to remember our late family and friends AND cleans one's Karma AND renew one's Precept Vows ... ALL ON THE SAME DAY! ...

... Kokuu is hosting our monthly Ryaku Fusatsu Ceremony on Saturday as well. That ceremony, to help wipe life's slate a bit cleaner, commences at 17.00 UST/GMT (12.00 EST, 11.00 Central, 10.00 Mountain, 9.00 PST, France/Germany/Netherlands/Spain 18.00, Ukraine 19.00) in the Scheduled Sitting Room and lasts around 30-40 minutes.

Details here:
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-February-2021

Hey, if you undertake one ceremony, why not two?

A good day of recalling and repenting and revowing as we soon welcome the Spring!

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you all soon!

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

See you later tonight my brothers and sisters

Gassho,

Ryokudo

SAT/LAH

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone. It was a lovely memorial service and sitting. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and all for sharing this Nahan-E Zazenkai. Always a pleasure...

Metta to all those mourning the loss of loved ones

Gassho, Yokai (Chris) sat/lah
    Last edited by Yokai; 02-27-2021 at 06:27 AM.

Such a privilege and joy to share these parts of our practice together with you all! Thank you Jundo and Sekishi and everyone present, live or recorded!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you as always Jundo, Sekishi, and all for coming together to practice. Always a pleasure!

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Wonderful to sit with all of you again. Thank you Jundo and Sekishi.

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Thank you all for the sit.

Gassho
    Anant
    Just Sat

Thank you everyone for this special Zazenkai!
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/Lah

Lovely ceremony. Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone. I sat with all of you this morning.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thanks Jundo, Sekishi, and all participants. Blessings
    Sat

For those who do not know the New Orleans "Second Line" Jazz Funeral, first the dirge then the dance ...

Longer version here

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you for posting those videos, Jundo. They were great.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Sekishi and Jundo. Very moving chanting and a lovely talk.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah.

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

I just sat with the recorded zazenkai. Thank you all.

Gassho,
    Mags
    ST

Good sitting with you all (connected across space and time, as is usual for me). Appropriate this week.

Gassho,
    Kevin
    SAT

Thank you Sekishi, Jundo and all. Haven’t sat with you guys for some time. Good to come and sit with you all.

Wishing you all well,

Martyn.
    Sat Today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all, lovely to sit with everyone, live, recorded, whenever.

Gassho,

Bokuchō
    SatToday/LaH

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

As always, lovely to sit with you all. Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everyone.

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Wonderful to sit with you all, even on demand.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Beautiful ceremony! Thank you!

At this time of year I always think of former member Fugu (Lee) who has passed and others in the sangha.

Thank you all for sitting.

Gassho
    Kokuu