Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chanting & Zazen Circle (Mo thru Sa)

Chanting & Zazen Circle (Mo thru Sa)

Chanting & Zazen Circle

This zazen circle begins on 1st March 2021. Please do join us at 8pm, Monday to Saturday.
    The circle is open to everyone and all who chant and sit together here are equals.

Initially, the sessions are being led by Ryokudo and Seiko. We have chosen Sandokai to begin chanting together. Feel free to suggest other chants for the circle to adopt.

Sandokai is on page 4 of the Treeleaf Chant Book here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/17pu...w?usp=sSandoka

The initial plan:
    8pm GMT - Chant Sandokai.
    Zazen – 27 minutes.
    Closing chant/thanks/goodbyes.
    Depart 8.45.

The chants being used will be posted on this thread on a Sunday.

It would be wonderful to have you with us, please pop in when you can.

As we hope you can see, we envisage this as a community driven venture, so any volunteers to lead the circle will be encouraged and nurtured.

We look forward to seeing you.

Gassho,

Ryokudo and Seiko
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-04-2023 at 12:08 PM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

8 pm UDT?

Gassho
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

This sounds really cool!

gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Thank you Seiko, looking forward to join here and there.

It's 8pm UTC (the time standard) and should be the same time as GMT (the timezone), until the end of March where daylight saving changes it to BST.
    It will show up in the Calendar for easier timezone translation soon!

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post
    8 pm UDT?

Gassho
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.
    Last edited by Kotei; 02-24-2021 at 10:23 AM.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Chanting & Zazen Circle (Mo thru Sa)

So is everyone to keep their microphones on and chant simultaneously or is everyone chanting by themselves, mic off and just the host chants out loud?

SatToday
    Last edited by Bion; 08-23-2023 at 07:27 AM.
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    So is everyone yo keep their microphones on and chant simultaneously or is everyone chanting by themselves, mic off and just the host chants out loud?

SatToday
    I don't know if it would get insane on zoom, but I'd personally like to have our mics on - I think we'd need to wear headphones though to mute out any ambient sound that could cause feedback.

Gassho

Risho
    -st

If you do leave all the mics open, regardless of headphones or not, you will be hearing background noise, lag and interference. It is lovely through even in the chaos.

There isn't a good way to battle lag which will make some people always sound behind or ahead. My brother is a music teacher and has been teaching from home for the last year.... they still haven't figured out a way to actually get the kids playing together.

But for your purposes as long as everyone knows that is going to happen, and there is nothing "wrong"; then you can enjoy what comes out. This is the main reason to mute everyone during the zazenkai's and other ceremony because it can become very chaotic.

Gassho,
    Shoka
    (she/her)
    sat/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Shoka View Post
    If you do leave all the mics open, regardless of headphones or not, you will be hearing background noise, lag and interference. It is lovely through even in the chaos.
    hahahah I knew you'd say that

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

So I guess mics off then unless we feel like experimenting on the day

Gassho

Ryokudo

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    I think we'd need to wear headphones though to mute out any ambient sound that could cause feedback.
    Agreed. Without headphones feedback is inevitable. Feedback with network lag is such a fun and wild beast - "MOAR ECHO!!! echo!!! e.c.h.o..."

I think it would be a fun experiment to have mics on. The biggest issue I personally run into in that type of situation is that the human brain does not do well when reciting if time shifted versions of the thing being recited is fed back into the ears. It is like an automatic 50 point IQ hit!

Anyhow, have fun and experiment, and I'm sure a method will present itself. Thank you all for practicing together.

Deep bows,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thank you to everyone posting here. Ryokudo and I have summoned every ounce of courage we can, in order to bring this idea to the table. So far, the level of response is heart warming.

Mics on, mics off - let's see how it goes. We are keen on good intention and already know our chanting voices are imperfect. Perhaps a little feedback and distortion might enhance the sounds we make. In either case, we'll let you know during each session whether it's mics off or an "open mic night".

See you there!

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Week commencing 1st March 2021 (GMT):

This, our first week, we begin by chanting Sanki Raimon together before Sandokai.

Sanki Raimon

I take refuge in buddha.
    May all beings
    embody the great way,
    resolving to awaken.

I take refuge in dharma.
    May all living beings
    deeply enter the sutras,
    wisdom like an ocean.

I take refuge in sangha.
    May all beings
    support harmony in the community,
    free from hindrance.

Sandokai can be found in the Treeleaf Chant book - that we use for Weekly and Monthly Zazenkai.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Whoever implemented the treeleaf now calendar; fantastic work; thank you!

Seiko this is in the heart of my workday; will you be posting recordings?

gassho

risho
    -stlah
    Last edited by Risho; 02-27-2021 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    Whoever implemented the treeleaf now calendar; fantastic work; thank you!

Seiko this is in the heart of my workday; will you be posting recordings?

gassho

risho
    -stlah
    Hello Risho,
    Yes the regional time differences can be a barrier to overcome. In choosing this time we were hoping to provide accessibility for people in UK and Europe, but of course everyone is invited and welcome.

I am not sure how to arrange to post recordings. I can put that question to Shoka and Sekishi.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Seiko; 02-27-2021 at 05:38 PM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

nah no worries; Iunderstand; I’ll join when I can

Thanks to Ryokudo and Seiko for this formidable experience!
    Will join again, for sure !
    Merci beaucoup ������������

Michel

(Sat today)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
    Thanks to Ryokudo and Seiko for this formidable experience!
    Will join again, for sure !
    Merci beaucoup ������������

Michel

(Sat today)
    Ah, Yuki, lovely to meet you. Thank you for your practice. Please do let us know when you would like to chant in French. We look forward to it.
    In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Seiko; 03-01-2021 at 09:51 PM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post
    Ah, Yuki, lovely to meet you. Thank you for your practice. Please do let us know when you would like to chant in French. We look forward to it.
    In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Indeed it was a lovely experience Michel and I look forward to seeing you soon. Can't wait for my French lesson as well

Gassho,

Ryokudo,

SAT/LAH

Hi Seiko

This falls 9am NZ time, but I can join you some days

Gassho, Yokai (Chris) sat/lah

Sorry gentlemen, I missed the chanting today. We are doing renovations at home and workers began this afternoon. NOISE and constant informations to give, so I had to skip our rendezvous. See you tomorrow... I hope !

Gassho, Michel. ( sat today)

Quote Originally Posted by Yokai View Post
    Hi Seiko

This falls 9am NZ time, but I can join you some days

Gassho, Yokai (Chris) sat/lah
    Always welcome Yokai.
    In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Sorry gentlemen, I missed the chanting today. We are doing renovations at home and workers began this afternoon. NOISE and constant informations to give, so I had to skip our rendezvous. See you tomorrow... I hope !

Gassho, Michel. ( sat today)
    Ah Yuki,
    We look forward to seeing you again, when you are able.
    In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Thanks for the lovely session tonight my friends.

Gassho

Ryokudo,

SAT/LAH

@Ryokudo
    @Yuki

Quote Originally Posted by Ryokudo View Post
    Thanks for the lovely session tonight my friends.

Gassho

Ryokudo,

SAT/LAH
    Thank you for your practice and your companionship.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

I see it in the Calendar (it is at 3pm EST my time) -- so this will be ongoing for a while, yes?

I am not able to attend yet, but I would like to after some things finish up -- it sounds lovely.

, meian st lh
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Merci à vous deux, thank you both, Seiko and Ryokudo.

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    I see it in the Calendar (it is at 3pm EST my time) -- so this will be ongoing for a while, yes?

I am not able to attend yet, but I would like to after some things finish up -- it sounds lovely.

, meian st lh
    Hi Meian,

The plan is for this to be ongoing ad infinitum with a variety of us being involved. So whenever you have the time to join we will be there.....all being lovely together.

We'll look forward to seeing you

Gassho,

Ryokudo

SAT/LAH

Alone in the Chanting & Zazen Circle, I dared to sing the Sanki Raimon and the Sandokai at your place (despite my bad accent ), but didn’t sit because it was already done. See you soon my friends.

Michel ( Sat today)

Alone in the Chanting & Zazen Circle, I dared to sing the Sanki Raimon and the Sandokai at your place (despite my bad accent ), but didn’t sit because it was already done. See you soon my friends.

Michel ( Sat today)
    Hey Yuki,

I'm so sorry I missed it, unfortunately I was called away to a leak at the last moment. I will certainly be there tomorrow. Many apologies.

Thanks and Gassho,

Ryokudo.

SAT/LAH

Merci, thanks to Seiko and Ryokudo for this first week of Chanting & Zazen Circle. It was great to chant and sit in your company.
    Deep gratitude !

Hello all,

Here comes a new week and we are planning on chanting Hannya Shingyo in Japanese, as we will all be used to from the monthly ZAZENKAI. This is available in the chant book (I believe). Otherwise it is reprinted below.

INO ONLY =
    Maka Hannya Haramita Shin Gyo*
    (The Heart of the Perfection of Great Wisdom Sutra in JAPANESE)

EVERYONE =

Kan Ji Zai Bo Satsu Gyo Jin Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ji Sho Ken* Go On Kai Ku Do I Sai Ku Yaku Sha Ri Shi Shiki Fu I Ku Ku Fu I Shiki Shiki Soku Ze Ku Ku Soku Ze Shiki Ju So Gyo Shiki Yaku Bu Nyo Ze Sha Ri Shi Ze Sho Ho Ku So Fu Sho Fu Metsu Fu Ku Fu Jo Fu Zo Fu Gen Ze Ko Ku Chu Mu Shiki Mu Ju So Gyo Shiki Mu Gen Ni Bi Ze Shin Ni Mu Shiki Sho Ko Mi Soku Ho Mu Gen Kai Nai Shi Mu I Shiki Kai Mu Mu Myo Yaku Mu Mu Myo Jin Nai Shi Mu Ro Shi Yaku Mu Ro Shi Jin Mu Ku Shu Metsu Do Mu Chi Yaku Mu Toku I Mu Sho Tok ko Bo Dai Sat Ta E Han-Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta* Ko Shin Mu Kei Ge Mu Kei Ge Ko Mu U Ku Fu On Ri Is Sai Ten Do Mu So Ku Gyo Ne Han San Ze Sho Butsu E Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta* Ko Toku A Noku Ta Ra San Myaku San Bo Dai Ko Chi Han-Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ze Dai Jin Shu Ze Dai Myo Shu Ze Mu Jo Shu Ze Mu To To Shu No Jo Is Sai Ku Shin Jitsu Fu Ko Ko Setsu
    Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Shu Soku Setsu Shu Watsu
    Gya* Tei Gya Tei * Ha Ra Gya Tei HaraSo Gya Tei * Bo Ji Sowa Ka

Han Nya Shin Gyo

Yuki, it would be lovely to hear you lead this if you are in the mood? Alternative myself or Seiko will be happy to take it on.

Many thanks all,

Gassho

Ryokudo,

SAT/LAH

Hi !

Great, I could try to take the lead if one of you ring the bell...
    And I can use the mokugyo if you want.

Yuki (Sat today)

Merci ! As usual, a great meeting with you.

Master Dōgen said :

« Dropping off body and mind ; and skin, flesh, bones, and marrow : how could these be involved with self or other ? Upon breaking into a smile, earth, water, fire, and air have never been separated. […] Today we are again the same as children singing. »

Yuki (SAT)

Well tonight Yuki did a great job of leading Ryokudo and Seiko in chanting the Heart Sutra in Japanese, which we followed by 27 minutes of Zazen. We always have a little chat before we begin, and after we finish. This regular event is turning out to be a beautiful and valuable addition to our practice.

Everyone is welcome to join us whenever you can, it's 8pm GMT and you can find it in the Treeleaf calendar.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Here is the Heart Sutra again, with the bell queues and the words arranged nicely so you can see where to breathe... for anyone who would like to practice at home... just in case you can't do it in one breath. Haha!

Bells:
    (*) large bell,
    (**)small bell,
    (x) stifled bell

Maka Hannya Haramita Shingyo(*)

Kan ji zai bo satsu.
    Gyo jin han nya hara mita ji.
    Sho ken
    (*)GO on kai ku.
    Do issai ku yaku.
    Sha ri shi.
    Shiki fu i ku.
    Ku fu i shiki.
    Shiki soku ze ku.
    Ku soku ze shiki.
    Ju so gyo shiki.
    Yaku bu nyo ze.
    Shari shi.
    Ze sho ho ku so.
    Fu sho fu metsu.
    Fu ku fu jo.
    Fu zo fu gen.
    Ze ko ku chu.
    Mu shiki mu ju so gyo shiki.
    Mu gen ni bi ze shin i.
    Mu shiki sho ko mi soku ho.
    Mu gen kai nai shi mu i shiki kai.
    Mu mu myo yaku mu mu myo jin.
    Nai shi mu ro shi.
    Yaku mu ro shi jin.
    Mu ku shu metsu do.
    Mu chi yaku mu toku.
    I mu sho toku ko.
    Bodai sat ta e hannya haramita
    (*)KO Shin mu ke ge mu ke ge ko.
    Mu u ku fu.
    On ri issai ten do mu so.
    Ku gyo ne han.
    San ze sho butsu.
    E hannya haramita
    (*)KO Toku a noku ta ra san myaku san bodai.
    Ko chi hannya haramita.
    Ze dai jin shu.
    Ze dai myo shu.
    Ze mu jo shu.
    Ze mu to do shu.
    No jo issai ku.
    Shin jitsu fu ko ko setsu hannya haramita shu.
    Soku setsu shu watsu.
    Gya tei, gya tei,
    (**) HA ra gya tei.
    Hara so gya tei.
    (**)BO ji so waka.

Hannya Shingyo. (x)

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Seiko; 03-08-2021 at 09:43 PM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Currently this circle is hosted by:

Monday - Seiko & Ryokudo
    Tuesday - Ryokudo & Seiko
    Wednesday - Seiko & Ryokudo
    Thursday - Ryokudo
    Friday - Ryokudo
    Saturday - Seiko

Always happy for others to host or lead or suggest chants.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Seiko; 03-11-2021 at 12:43 AM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Invitation:

If you can, please consider dropping in to the Chanting and Zazen Circle. You can see it in the Treeleaf Calendar.

This week, up to Saturday 13th March, we continue chanting the Heart Sutra in Japanese. I am hoping someone will join us who can help me improve my pronunciation of Japanese. We do our best, even if it is sometimes unintelligible. Haha!

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Pronunciation: Hi Guys,

The following is my slightly irreverent Heart Sutra pronunciation guide. I have seen something like it available in Japan, but not in English. Here is how it works:

I will take ordinary English words that sound as close as possible to stand for each of the following. For example:

Shin = Shin (of the leg)

Disregard any part of a word in parenthesis ( ) as if it was cut away. For example, “fool” for “fu” here:

Fu = Foo(l)

I apologize right now if this ends up being biased toward Yankee pronunciations. Our friends from other places might adjust for worldwide versions.

A couple of pointers:

Two words together are meant to be said as one two syllable word quickly. For example, “Maka” sounds like “ma” (of “mama) and “car” (with the 'r' cut off), said as one quick two syllable words, thus:

Maka = Ma(ma) Ca(r)

Words with “u” at the end such as “Soku” usually – but not always – have a “u” sound at the end that sounds like the French word for water “eau” or the “ooh” of "ooh la la". If you listen to the following recording, the “ooh” is sometimes so subtle, and barely pronounced, that it can sound almost like a one syllable word. So, “Soku” would be:

Soku = Soak(the dishes) ooh (la la, but barely pronounced)

One should listen closely and compare the below with this Japanese version for practice:

Shall we see how this goes? Maybe we can even ask someone to make an animated version sometime! That would be cool. :=9

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLAH

====================================

Maka = Ma(ma) Ca(r to drive)
    Hannya = Han(Solo of Star Wars, rhymes with man's name Ron) (Italian lasag)na
    Haramita = Ha(ha ha) ra(h rah sis boom bah) me(and you) ta(r the road)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Gyo = ( Large Bi)gyo(yo toy)

Kan = Kahn (of Star Trek)
    Ji = Gee (whiz)
    Zai = Xy(lophone)
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Satsu = (They) sats (down) ooh (NOTE: Rather than “sats”, closer to “sots” as in “besotted”. Also, some Japanese abbreviate this to "Sa," most do not)
    Gyo = (Large Bi)gyo(yo toy)
    Jin = Gin (Rummy)
    Han = Han (Solo, rhymes with man's name Ron)
    Nya = Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Ra = Ra (ra sis boom bah)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ji = Gee (Whiz)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Ken = Ken (and Barbie)
    Go = Go (Away)
    On = Own (a house)
    Kai = Ki(te to fly)
    Ku = Coo (went the pigeon)
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Sai = Sigh (with love)
    Yaku = (Boating ka)yak ooh (la la, subtle)
    Sha = Sha (of Iran)
    Ri = Rea(d a book)
    Shi = She (and him)
    Shiki = Shick (razors) key (and lock)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters) or for the older crowd, Foo(l me once, shame on me)
    I = ea(t your breakfast)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Soku = Soak (the laundry) ooh (la la, subtle)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Ju = Jew (in Tel Aviv)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Bu = Boo (went the ghost)
    Nyo = (The eggs were u)nyo(ked)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Sha = Sha (of Iran)
    Ri = Rea(d a book)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Ho = Ho (ho ho says Santa)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Metsu = (Baseball's New York) Mets ooh (la la, subtle)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Jo = Joe (man's name)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Zo = (Bo)zo (the clown)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Gen = (Once more a)gain
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Chu = Chew (your food)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Ju = Jew (in Tel Aviv)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Gen = (Once more a)gain
    Ni = Knee (of the leg)
    Bi = Bee (is buzzing)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Ni = Knee (of the leg)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Gen = (Once more a)gain
    Kai = Ki(te to fly)
    Nai = Nigh(t and day)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Kai = Ki(te to fly)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Myo = (Jewelry Ca)meo (said really fast)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Myo = (Jewelry Ca)meo
    Jin = Gin (Rummy)
    Nai = Nigh(t and day)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Ro = Row (your boat)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Yaku = (Boating ka)yak ooh (subtle)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Ro = Row (your boat)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Jin = Gin (rummy)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Chi = Chee(se and crackers)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Toku = Toke (a smoke) ooh (la la, subtle)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Tok- = Toe (of the foot)
    ko = Co-(pilot)
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Dai = Die (and live another day)
    Sat = (Bes)sot(ed)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    E = E(dward)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Kei = (O)kay
    Ge = Ge(t me a hammer)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Kei = (O)kay
    Ge = Ge(t me a hammer)
    Ko = Co(-pilot)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    U = Ooh (La La)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    On = Own (a house)
    Ri = Rea(d a book)
    Is- = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Sai = Sigh (with love)
    Ten = 10
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Ne = Ne(xt in line)
    San = San (rhymes with man's name Ron)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Butsu = Boots (to wear) ooh (la la, subtle)
    E = Eh (What did you say?)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    A = (Doctor's “Open wide, say) Ah
    Noku = No (not yes) Coo (says the pigeon)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Myaku = Mia (Culpa) Coo (says the pigeon) … said fast …
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Jin = Gin (Rummy)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Jo = Joe (man's name)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    To = Toe (of the foot)
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    No = No (and yes)
    Jo = Joe (man's name)
    Is = Ea(t your breakfast)
    sai = Sigh (with love)
    Ku = Coo (said the pigeon)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Jitsu = (Gad)gets, but 'i' sound as in Ju-Jitsu
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Ko = Co-(Pilot)
    Ko = Co-(Pilot)
    Setsu = (Television) sets ooh (la la, subtle)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Watsu = Whatsu(p?)
    Gya = (Bi)g ya(cht to sail)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Hara = Ha (ha ha) Ra (ra sis boom bah)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Ji = Gee (whiz)
    Sowa = So wha(t?)
    Ka = Ca(r to drive)
    Shingyo = Shin (of the leg) ( Large Bi)gyo(yo toy)

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Pronunciation: Hi Guys,

The following is my slightly irreverent Heart Sutra pronunciation guide. I have seen something like it available in Japan, but not in English. Here is how it works:

I will take ordinary English words that sound as close as possible to stand for each of the following. For example:

Shin = Shin (of the leg)

Disregard any part of a word in parenthesis ( ) as if it was cut away. For example, “fool” for “fu” here:

Fu = Foo(l)

I apologize right now if this ends up being biased toward Yankee pronunciations. Our friends from other places might adjust for worldwide versions.

A couple of pointers:

Two words together are meant to be said as one two syllable word quickly. For example, “Maka” sounds like “ma” (of “mama) and “car” (with the 'r' cut off), said as one quick two syllable words, thus:

Maka = Ma(ma) Ca(r)

Words with “u” at the end such as “Soku” usually – but not always – have a “u” sound at the end that sounds like the French word for water “eau” or the “ooh” of "ooh la la". If you listen to the following recording, the “ooh” is sometimes so subtle, and barely pronounced, that it can sound almost like a one syllable word. So, “Soku” would be:

Soku = Soak(the dishes) ooh (la la, but barely pronounced)

One should listen closely and compare the below with this Japanese version for practice:

Shall we see how this goes? Maybe we can even ask someone to make an animated version sometime! That would be cool. :=9

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLAH

====================================

Maka = Ma(ma) Ca(r to drive)
    Haramita = Ha(ha ha) ra(h rah sis boom bah) me(and you) ta(r the road)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Gyo = ( Large Bi)gyo(yo toy)

Kan = Kahn (of Star Trek)
    Ji = Gee (whiz)
    Zai = Xy(lophone)
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Satsu = (They) sats (down) ooh (NOTE: Rather than “sats”, closer to “sots” as in “besotted”. Also, some Japanese abbreviate this to "Sa," most do not)
    Jin = Gin (Rummy)
    Nya = Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ji = Gee (Whiz)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Ken = Ken (and Barbie)
    Go = Go (Away)
    On = Own (a house)
    Kai = Ki(te to fly)
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Sai = Sigh (with love)
    Sha = Sha (of Iran)
    Ri = Rea(d a book)
    Shi = She (and him)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters) or for the older crowd, Foo(l me once, shame on me)
    I = ea(t your breakfast)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Ju = Jew (in Tel Aviv)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Bu = Boo (went the ghost)
    Nyo = (The eggs were u)nyo(ked)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Sha = Sha (of Iran)
    Ri = Rea(d a book)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Sho = Show (time)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Jo = Joe (man's name)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Zo = (Bo)zo (the clown)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Gen = (Once more a)gain
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Chu = Chew (your food)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Ju = Jew (in Tel Aviv)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Gen = (Once more a)gain
    Ni = Knee (of the leg)
    Bi = Bee (is buzzing)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Ni = Knee (of the leg)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Gen = (Once more a)gain
    Kai = Ki(te to fly)
    Nai = Nigh(t and day)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Kai = Ki(te to fly)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Myo = (Jewelry Ca)meo
    Jin = Gin (Rummy)
    Nai = Nigh(t and day)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Ro = Row (your boat)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Yaku = (Boating ka)yak ooh (subtle)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Ro = Row (your boat)
    Shi = She (and he)
    Jin = Gin (rummy)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    I = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Tok- = Toe (of the foot)
    ko = Co-(pilot)
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Sat = (Bes)sot(ed)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    E = E(dward)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Kei = (O)kay
    Ge = Ge(t me a hammer)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Kei = (O)kay
    Ge = Ge(t me a hammer)
    Ko = Co(-pilot)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    U = Ooh (La La)
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    On = Own (a house)
    Ri = Rea(d a book)
    Is- = Ea(t your breakfast)
    Sai = Sigh (with love)
    Ten = 10
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Ne = Ne(xt in line)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Sho = Show (time)
    Butsu = Boots (to wear) ooh (la la, subtle)
    E = Eh (What did you say?)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    A = (Doctor's “Open wide, say) Ah
    Noku = No (not yes) Coo (says the pigeon)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Myaku = Mia (Culpa) Coo (says the pigeon) … said fast …
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Ko = Co-(pilot)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Jin = Gin (Rummy)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    Jo = Joe (man's name)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Ze = Ze(ppelin)
    Mu = Moo (went the cow)
    To = Toe (of the foot)
    Do = Doe (a female deer)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    No = No (and yes)
    Jo = Joe (man's name)
    Is = Ea(t your breakfast)
    sai = Sigh (with love)
    Ku = Coo (said the pigeon)
    Shin = Shin (of the leg)
    Jitsu = (Gad)gets, but 'i' sound as in Ju-Jitsu
    Fu = Foo (Fighters)
    Ko = Co-(Pilot)
    Ko = Co-(Pilot)
    Nya = (Italian lasag)na
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Mi = Me (and you)
    Ta = Ta(r the road)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Shu = Shoe (to wear)
    Watsu = Whatsu(p?)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Ha = Ha (ha ha)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Hara = Ha (ha ha) Ra (ra sis boom bah)
    So = Sew (a button)
    Tei = Ta(ke my hand)
    Bo = (Stallone is Ram)bo
    Ji = Gee (whiz)
    Sowa = So wha(t?)
    Ka = Ca(r to drive)
    Shingyo = Shin (of the leg) ( Large Bi)gyo(yo toy)

Thank you Jundo,

I am amazed, laughing, bowing and in awe - all at the same time.

Thank you

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post
    Thank you Jundo,

I am amazed, laughing, bowing and in awe - all at the same time.

Thank you

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    It is actually based on an old Japanese tradition. And the old Japanese could be even more irreverent, here are a couple from Japan, old and modern. Many of the older items are head scratchers for modern people, but I see some funny ones. "Chi" is a word for a breast or utter in Japanese, so you will see a picture of two breasts (third column from left).

Below that, "sa" is the sound of a dog peeing in Japanese, so (also third column) ...

You might notice a fat belly, which is "Hara" in Japanese (first column on right) ...

And, of course, a scholar's paper on the topic ...

This paper is concerned with introducing iconic pictograph systems that were created by Buddhist
    priests more than three hundred years ago to help illiterate people recite important Buddhist sutras.
    These iconic pictograph systems did not imitate Chinese characters or their meanings, nor did they
    utilize the available kana system of phonographs. Instead, pictographs were created that made use of
    Japanese homophones related to everyday objects, such as household utensils, farming tools and body
    parts, as well as making use of various metaphors, and even puns, resulting in pictographs that are at
    once humorous and effective. The present paper will first discuss the importance of form in Japanese
    culture, introduce the Heart Sutra and the notion of mantra, and then illustrate how the pictographs
    could induce the desired pronuciation for reciting the Heart Sutra. And finally, there is a brief
    discussion of how this pictograph-induced recitation of the sutra could be mantra-like in producing a
    calm meditative state.
    http://www2.ngu.ac.jp/uri/gengo/pdf/...vol2601_08.pdf
    Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-12-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Dear all I am afraid I am laid up I bed with flu and cannot therfore make tonight. Many apologies

Dear friend, I wish you will recover quickly from this ! I hope it’s not the Covid-19.:
    Today, I took the lead of our practice with John Pursch, from Arizona. We have done a nice Sanki Raimon, a hazardous Hannya Shingyo and a good enough Four Vows, and, of course, we sat together. It was not so bad, I think.
    Take good care of you, Ryokudo !

Dear all I am afraid I am laid up I bed with flu and cannot therfore make tonight. Many apologies
    Metta Ryokudo. All chants dedicated for your recovery, and for all those everywhere who are sick today.

Gassho, J

STLah

That is quite an amazing write up, Jundo!

And please get well soon, Ruokudo. Sitting with you.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I love this thread! Ryokudo - I hope you feel better soon

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Dear friend, I wish you will recover quickly from this ! I hope it’s not the Covid-19.:
    Today, I took the lead of our practice with John Pursch, from Arizona. We have done a nice Sanki Raimon, a hazardous Hannya Shingyo and a good enough Four Vows, and, of course, we sat together. It was not so bad, I think.
    Take good care of you, Ryokudo !

This is wonderful. Thank you for your practice.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Ryokudo, blood brother,
    I hope we both recover fast and strong. Your flu and my broken ribs. May we be at ease with all our ills.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Seiko - is this some sort of fight club chant circle? I hope you recover soon as well!

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

You too Seiko ? Broken ribs ? Metta to you, my friend.
    You can be sure I will do my best with my poor English and try to maintain the daily meeting with newcomers.

See you soon Seiko!

It was great getting a chance to drop in for once and practice with you all

For next week's chant - would you happen to have a link to it?

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast