Thread: A question about Jukai - prerequisites and readiness

A question about Jukai - prerequisites and readiness

Hi all, I’d really like to deepen my Zen practice and connection to the Soto Zen lineage, and taking Jukai is a step I’d like to take. Are there any prerequisites to taking Jukai, such as completing a certain length of practice, or something along those lines? And when do you know you’re ready for it?

Thank you
    Gassho ✨💫
    Clinton
    To study Buddhism is to study ourselves.
    To study ourselves is to forget ourselves.
    - Dogen Zenji

Hi Clinton. Our next Jukai ceremony is somewhere around January 2022... plenty of time for you to get “ready” in whatever way you feel appropriate. Jukai is preceded by Ango, study of the precepts, rakusu sewing and a whole lot of practice. So, do not worry too much. Just sit, develop a daily or regular practice that suits your schedule and circumstances and see how that goes.
    I’m sure in a second Jundo will give you plenty more details.

SatToday (sorry for extra length)
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by T@r0 View Post
    Hi all, I’d really like to deepen my Zen practice and connection to the Soto Zen lineage, and taking Jukai is a step I’d like to take. Are there any prerequisites to taking Jukai, such as completing a certain length of practice, or something along those lines? And when do you know you’re ready for it?

Thank you
    Gassho ✨��
    Clinton
    Hi Clinton,

Yes, our Jukai preparations start each September for the ceremony in January, with reflections and study on each of the Precepts and sewing a Rakusu, and you are more than welcome to join in if it feels right to you.

However, in my book, the most important thing is -not- the ceremony itself, which alone works no magic by itself. The ceremony is just a celebration and affirmation of our seeking to live gently, and to learn from the Buddhist teachings, right now and each day. The ceremony just celebrates and confirms that fact. More important is that you do your best, today, to live gently in a way helpful and healthy to oneself and others (who are "not two," by the way), avoiding harm such as excess desires, anger, violence, jealousy, ugly speech and the like. That is the real Jukai, undertaking the Precepts, each day.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    Hi Clinton. Our next Jukai ceremony is somewhere around January 2022... plenty of time for you to get “ready” in whatever way you feel appropriate. Jukai is preceded by Ango, study of the precepts, rakusu sewing and a whole lot of practice. So, do not worry too much. Just sit, develop a daily or regular practice that suits your schedule and circumstances and see how that goes.
    I’m sure in a second Jundo will give you plenty more details.

SatToday (sorry for extra length)
    Thank you very much for your reply Bion! I appreciate it.

Gassho ✨💫
    To study Buddhism is to study ourselves.
    To study ourselves is to forget ourselves.
    - Dogen Zenji

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Clinton,

Yes, our Jukai preparations start each September for the ceremony in January, with reflections and study on each of the Precepts and sewing a Rakusu, and you are more than welcome to join in if it feels right to you.

However, in my book, the most important thing is -not- the ceremony itself, which alone works no magic by itself. The ceremony is just a celebration and affirmation of our seeking to live gently, and to learn from the Buddhist teachings, right now and each day. The ceremony just celebrates and confirms that fact. More important is that you do your best, today, to live gently in a way helpful and healthy to oneself and others (who are "not two," by the way), avoiding harm such as excess desires, anger, violence, jealousy, ugly speech and the like. That is the real Jukai, undertaking the Precepts, each day.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Thank you Jundo! Your insight is wonderful and inspiring. I’m sure there will be a notification when it all starts in September?

Gassho ✨💫

Quote Originally Posted by T@r0 View Post
    Thank you Jundo! Your insight is wonderful and inspiring. I’m sure there will be a notification when it all starts in September?

Gassho ✨��
    Yes, we don't keep it secret.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, we don't keep it secret.

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Hmm esoteric Zen - now that would be something to sell! Lol I’m looking forward to it.

Gassho ✨💫