Thread: 'The ZEN of EVERYTHING! Podcast' ... Episode 44 ... Binging & Moderation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

'The ZEN of EVERYTHING! Podcast' ... Episode 44 ... Binging & Moderation

Episode 44 ... Binging & Moderation

How do we control our habits in eating Oreos, watching TV series, and more? How do we watch Game of Thrones as zen practitioners? Is it okay to binge all the Star Wars movies?
    THE LINK: https://www.zen-of-everything.com/44

For more about the podcast, where to send your serious or silly questions ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...-ON-THE-AIR%21

You can also sign up by RSS, or hear it many places such as Spotify and Apple Podcasts (follow the links above).

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for the great podcast! Sorry for running a little long.

Binging is near and dear to my heart, part of my Zen practice is definitely finding moderation or in some cases abstaining completely. This brings to mind the 2nd of the 4 vows "endless blind passions I vow to uproot" which is something that hit me very hard (and still does) when I first read it.

Quitting multiple destructive addictions has been a lifelong struggle for me, and since staring zen I have been able to let go of a couple of very harmful ones. I find a simpler, calmer, slower, not as excitable life through zen and it is a breath of fresh air for me as I've always been the opposite to mine and my family's detriment.

Gassho,
    John
    Sat today

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I got a lot of insight out of this podcast. I binge eat a lot, especially after taking my medicine for insomnia, and i wonder sometimes if it's a detriment to my practice to indulge in eating when i get "the Munchies". This podcast has defined for me what the line is. Thank you

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

Thank you for another amazing episode!
    When I was a student I used to work for Belgian chocolate company and we could have as many chocolates as we wished. I still remember the morning walk to "magic fridge" filled with hundreds of "shining bright pearls" of delight. I never got tired of it. On certain days I would have as much as half a kilo of chocolate. Greed in full swing. I regret nothing. One of the best times of my life. Nowadays, aware of my defilments, working each day with Precepts I strive for moderation. I ad couple of fasting days per month, and I'm discovering that rumbling belly and full belly are just empty sensations. But take me again to that magic fridge and I can't vouch for myself.

Gassho
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Inshin View Post
    Thank you for another amazing episode!
    When I was a student I used to work for Belgian chocolate company and we could have as many chocolates as we wished. I still remember the morning walk to "magic fridge" filled with hundreds of "shining bright pearls" of delight. I never got tired of it. On certain days I would have as much as half a kilo of chocolate. Greed in full swing. I regret nothing. One of the best times of my life. Nowadays, aware of my defilments, working each day with Precepts I strive for moderation. I ad couple of fasting days per month, and I'm discovering that rumbling belly and full belly are just empty sensations. But take me again to that magic fridge and I can't vouch for myself.

Gassho
    Sat
    Jundo, you got me hooked to Cobra Kai. I don't feel bad watching a few episodes a week. There are a lot of insights and also a lot of things that can be boring but I view both with equanimity.

Gassho,
    Sat today,
    Geerish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by Guish View Post
    Jundo, you got me hooked to Cobra Kai. I don't feel bad watching a few episodes a week. There are a lot of insights and also a lot of things that can be boring but I view both with equanimity.

Gassho,
    Sat today,
    Geerish.
    My family has moved on to the Gilmore Girls. (No, I am not recommending that to you, unless you a interested in mother-daughter relationships in small town Connecticut! )

The show's main focus is on the relationship between single mother Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter Rory, who live in Stars Hollow, Connecticut, a small fictional town filled with colorful characters. The series explores issues of family, romance, education, friendship, disappointment, and ambition, along with generational divides and social class.
    Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    My family has moved on to the Gilmore Girls. (No, I am not recommending that to you, unless you a interested in mother-daughter relationships in small town Connecticut! )

Gassho, J
    Roshi,

I am not ready for this level.

Gassho,
    Geerish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Gassho, J
    The Gilmore girls is SOOOO GOOD . And the new 4 parts from Netflix was an awesome treat!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

ha excellent episode as always!

gassho

risho
    -stlah

Binging and moderation,
    Repentance and Vow,
    The two feet of the Mountains walking,
    An endless end and a beginningless beginning!

Gassho,
    Hōkō

SatToday and LAH

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    法 Dharma
    口 Mouth

Was very happy to hear that Kirk doesn't like The Office (I could never get into the American version), but I'm struggling that he doesn't like Star Wars. I just... don't.... understand....

Gassho, Jim
    ST/Lah

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    No matter how much zazen we do, poor people do not become wealthy, and poverty does not become something easy to endure.
    Kōshō Uchiyama, Opening the Hand of Thought