Thread: Zafu Cushion Suggestions

Zafu Cushion Suggestions

Hi y'all. The zafu I have currently is starting to rip apart and is quickly becoming unsatisfactory for my practice, and I'm wanting to get a new one. Any suggestions? I'm not on too much of a budget but would prefer to spend less than 60-70 dollars USD on it if i can. I am 6'1" (185.42cm) and weigh about 240 lbs (about 109kg) if that helps. Any help would be much appreciated

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

I have been using this one daily for about 15 years, and it is still like new. It is a little more than what you have budgeted, and if you can't raise the funds for it, then I suggest looking at their regular zafus, which are also excellent. They use the same, heavy fabric for all of their zafus and zabutons.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

same one i use worth every penny; correction: sans the memory foam

gassho

risho
    -stlah
    Last edited by Risho; 02-08-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Hey there John, I just started using this one, as it's a bit higher sitting than your standard Zafu which does well for my height (6'3") and natural weight: Hi-Zafu Buckwheat from DharmaCrafts. The one that Nengei posted is the one I had before, and it indeed lasted years and you can't go wrong there either.

Gassho,
    Koushi
    ST
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Thank you Nengei and Koushi for the suggestions! I went ahead and purchased the mountain seat cushion, but would love for this thread to continue for those like me who are taller than usual and are looking for a good Zafu to meet their needs.

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

FWIW, I have the same one as Nengei, but the version without the memory foam (only buckwheat hulls). I purchased it last year after using the same kapok-stuffed Zafu that I bought from Dharmacrafts back in the late 1990s. My aging back and legs finally won out, and I went with something taller.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Does anyone have a good zafu to purchase in Europe ? Mine is beginning to fall apart as well !

Gassho,

Uggy,

Sat today
    Lah

I would second the recommendation for DharmaCrafts zafu/zabuton; I've had the same set for 20 years.

Gassho,
    Shujin
    st

Hey everyone,

I will also add as a heavy person (260 lbs), I find I need to add more stuffing to my cushion about everyone 6 months. I use a kapok stuffed cushion now, so it definitely gets compressed over time. But I found the same was true with a buckwheat filled zafu.

Gassho,
    Shoka
    sat

I wonder if someone could find the link to our Unsui Kotei's blanket zafu. I think that's pretty darn impressive... and cheap!!
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    I wonder if someone could find the link to our Unsui Kotei's blanket zafu. I think that's pretty darn impressive... and cheap!!
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    Here it is:

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ugrok View Post
    Does anyone have a good zafu to purchase in Europe ? Mine is beginning to fall apart as well !

Gassho,

Uggy,

Sat today
    Lah
    hi, i have good experiences with the stuff of Klang&Stille in Germany http://www.klang-stille.de/Der+Medit...ssen/index.htm

aprapti

std/lah

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Since you asked the thread to continue for additional suggestions for others... this is the one I have used for a couple years now (mine is black though). I'm 6ft tall, and generally during this time I've been between 180 and 215 pounds. I removed some of the hulls to make it a little flatter (which is easy to do with the zippered cushion). It's not very fancy, and pretty affordable and has been comfortable for me. I have a rectangular kapok filled cushion as well but I primarily use this one now as it's more comfortable. I've packed one with me on trips, even on my carry-on to Portland before.

Gassho
    Nathan
    SAT

What's the filling in this one? It looks to be a pretty good deal.

gassho, shokai
    stlah

p.s. strike that question, I got a translation - it comes with
    a free refill pack of kapok.
    Last edited by Shokai; 02-09-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by aprapti View Post
    hi, i have good experiences with the stuff of Klang&Stille in Germany http://www.klang-stille.de/Der+Medit...ssen/index.htm

aprapti

std/lah
    Danke sehr !

Uggy,
    Sat today,
    Lah

Hello all,

I just wanted to add that I too have the Mountain seat, and have had it since 2008 (mine is just the buckwheat hulls). I love it and I'm short 5'4 with back, knee and hip issues. It takes the pressure off those areas nicely for me to sit comfortably with a folded blanket Zabuton.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei
    sattoday/lah

I've had the DharmaCrafts set for well over a decade and it has held up extremely well. I just ordered their tall zafu so I'm looking forward to trying it.

ST/LAH
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

I use this one, and have no complaints: here

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Neika View Post
    I've had the DharmaCrafts set for well over a decade and it has held up extremely well. I just ordered their tall zafu so I'm looking forward to trying it.

ST/LAH
    I can also attest to the high quality of DharmaCrafts zafus, and they are a responsible, family-owned company. Bumping this thread as they are having a sale right now, including significant discounts on zafus/sets. So, if you've been waiting for a good time to buy...

https://dharmacrafts.com/collections...n-cushion-sets

https://dharmacrafts.com/collections...ation-cushions

-stlah
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishin View Post
    I can also attest to the high quality of DharmaCrafts zafus, and they are a responsible, family-owned company. Bumping this thread as they are having a sale right now, including significant discounts on zafus/sets. So, if you've been waiting for a good time to buy...

https://dharmacrafts.com/collections...n-cushion-sets

https://dharmacrafts.com/collections...ation-cushions

-stlah
    Wow! Those Zabutons look super thick.