Thread: Zen Studies Podcast

Zen Studies Podcast

Recently I've been listening to Domyo Burk's Zen Studies Podcast. She is a priest in the Soto Zen tradition. I was wondering if the "flavour" of her Soto Zen teachings are largely in line with Treeleaf or if I should be aware of different teachings or emphases.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Jim
    stlah
    Last edited by JimInBC; 02-06-2021 at 03:07 AM.

I have only listened to a couple but I thought it was really good; I think someone here recommended it but cant remember lol

gassho

risho
    -stlah

I've always loved Domyo's podcast, and I think it fits really well with what is taught here. There's also Jundo and Kirk's podcast that you can find here: https://www.zen-of-everything.com

Gassho,
    Koushi
    ST
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Oh, Rev. Domyo is great, very down to earth and right to the point, and a good friend of Treeleaf too.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I was actually listening to a lot of her podcast episodes before I found Treeleaf, and the Zen Studies Podcast is great! A ton of information with Dogen, the history of Buddhism, all of it is wonderful. Of course, the Zen of Everything is great as well!

Gassho,

Bokuchō (Josh)
    SatToday/LaH

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thanks, Everyone. I love her podcast, so it's great to hear the teachings are in line with Treeleaf.

And I just added Zen of Everything to my subscribed podcasts.

Gassho,
    Jim
    stlah

Another Zen Studies Podcast listener here! If I remember right, I actually first heard about Treeleaf on one of her episodes.

That and Zen of Everything are the main Buddhist podcasts that I keep up on.

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today LAH
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Everyday Zen, which mostly features dharma talks by Norman Fischer is a good listen too. That combined with Zen of everything and Zen studies are my holy trinity of go-to podcasts.

Gassho
    Bokusei
    saTToday

Quote Originally Posted by Bokusei View Post
    Everyday Zen, which mostly features dharma talks by Norman Fischer is a good listen too. That combined with Zen of everything and Zen studies are my holy trinity of go-to podcasts.

Gassho
    Bokusei
    saTToday
    Ah there's something special about Norman Fischer

Gassho

Risho
    -stlahy

On our Recommended Books & Media list, we have a whole bunch of podcasts listed, heavily weighted toward Soto Zen groups of course. Check em out (scroll toward the bottom here).

Suggested Books & Media
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ed-Books-Media

I haven't checked the list in quite some time, so please excuse if some of the links are not working etc.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Ah there's something special about Norman Fischer
    He is a good man! His wife Kathie recently gave a lovely talk (in my opinion) on Baizhang's Fox at Upaya:

https://www.upaya.org/2021/01/fische...ngs-fox-wpp21/

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

thank you Kokuu!

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Really enjoying the Zen of Everything! Thank you for the recommendation! So far I've let go of my attachment to the idea a hot dog is not a sandwich.

Gassho,
    Jim
    Stlah

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    No matter how much zazen we do, poor people do not become wealthy, and poverty does not become something easy to endure.
    Kōshō Uchiyama, Opening the Hand of Thought

Quote Originally Posted by JimInBC View Post
    Really enjoying the Zen of Everything! Thank you for the recommendation! So far I've let go of my attachment to the idea a hot dog is not a sandwich.
    Would it be a sandwich if wrapped in a piece of sandwich bread?

Gassho,
    Koushi
    ST
    理道弘志 | Ridō Koushi

Please take this novice priest-in-training's words with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi View Post
    Would it be a sandwich if wrapped in a piece of sandwich bread?

Gassho,
    Koushi
    ST
    As you prefer. As I said, I let go of that attachment.

Gassho,
    Jim
    Stlah

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    No matter how much zazen we do, poor people do not become wealthy, and poverty does not become something easy to endure.
    Kōshō Uchiyama, Opening the Hand of Thought