Thread: February 5th-6th OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - The 'Missing' Heart Sutra

February 5th-6th OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - The 'Missing' Heart Sutra

We will begin a series of reflections on the Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo) with a look at
    the mysterious 'missing sections'
    (text below in this thread)

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/febru...g-heart-sutra/

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...s-in-the-Zendo
    Last edited by Sekishi; 02-14-2021 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Added one-way youtube video. Added podcast.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Talk this week will look at the mysterious 'missing parts' of the Heart Sutra (Hannya Shingyo 般若心経), as the first in a series of monthly reflections on ... the Heart Sutra!

The Tibetan version of the Heart Sutra contains the following verses that we do not usually chant. Why? And what do they mean?

Thus have I heard. Once the Blessed One was dwelling in Rajagriha at Vulture Peak mountain, together with a great gathering of the sangha of monks and a great gathering of the sangha of bodhisattvas. At that time the Blessed One entered the samadhi that expresses the dharma called "profound illumination," and at the same time
    Avolokitesvara Bodhisattva, Awakened One of Compassion, in Prajna Paramita, the Deep Practice of Perfect Wisdom, perceived the emptiness of all five conditions, and was free of suffering ...

Gate! Gate! Paragate! Parasamgate! Bodhi! Svaha!

Thus, Shariputra, the bodhisattva mahasattva should train in the profound prajnaparamita. Then the Blessed One arose from that samadhi and praised noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, saying, "Good, good, O son of noble family; thus it is, O son of noble family, thus it is. One should practice the profound prajnaparamita just as you have taught and all the tathagatas will rejoice." When the Blessed One had said this, venerable Shariputra and noble Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva mahasattva, that whole assembly and the world with its gods, humans, asuras, and gandharvas rejoiced and praised the words of the Blessed One.

Last edited by Jundo; 02-05-2021 at 09:45 AM.

In honor of our German members, our Hokey Pokey today is by the Wirtschaftswunder (Miracle on the Rhine) Stars!

The Hazy Osterwald Sectett!

Gassho, J

STLah

Well before my time, but the Hazy Osterwald sextet was quite a number back in the days.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    In honor of our German members, our Hokey Pokey today is by the Wirtschaftswunder (Miracle on the Rhine) Stars!

The Hazy Osterwald Sectett!

Gassho, J

STLah
    I shall dance my heart out in German, then

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Looking forward to the talk (very interesting topic!) and sitting with you all

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I see "this video is not available" for the Hokey Pokey.

See y'all soon!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Ausgezeichnet! Looking forward to this! (I think that’s right; my German is very rusty.)
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st/lah

I'll be there with the bells!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

PS I am not able to see the video either.

PPS Please excuse that I do not wear the Kesa tonight, I came home and the woodstove is going and it's almost 100 degrees in my basement :-p
    Last edited by Jakuden; 02-05-2021 at 10:42 PM.

Will join in a bit later due to emergency HVAC repair.

Gassho,

Koutoku
    SAT
    Koutoku

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    I see "this video is not available" for the Hokey Pokey.

See y'all soon!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Huh? Fine here. Try (remove space) https:// youtu.be /cRMtCa5xFpc

Thank you, Jundo, Jakuden, Sekishi, and everyone. I love to learn more about the Heart Sutra, and to do the Hokey Pokey in different languages. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Jundo, Jakuden and all for sharing zazenkai. Wonderful!

The Heart Sutra/Star Wars talk was amazing. I look forward to the sequel

Gassho, Yokai (Chris) sat/lah

Thank you Jundo, Jakuden, Sekishi, and all for another wonderful Zazenkai. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the talks on the Heart Sutra in the coming months. That was great!

Fun Star Wars fact for anyone interested... Prior to the official release in 1983, Return of the Jedi was originally titled Revenge of the Jedi before Lucas changed his mind on the name. The original name even made its way to pre-release marketing materials including the first teaser trailer. So technically, everyone had the name right tonight.

May the Force be with you all.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Lovely Zazenkai. Thank you Jundo, Jakuden and everyone.

I learned a lot and look forward to more about the Heart Sutra, Jundo!

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today LAH
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everyone, for a lovely sit and talk. So glad I’m not the only one that has those senior moments!

Gassho,
    Jakuden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My little visit to Vulture Peak about 4 years ago ...

A small taste of the atmosphere on Vulture Peak, filmed on my vitist. Buddhist folks from many places, mostly in Asia. Amazing that the all the Gods and Azuras could squeeze in ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you everyone for the wonderful sit and Dharma talk. Looking forward to the next Zazenkai. I hope you all have a good weekend.

Gassho,

Shade

ST

A small taste of the atmosphere on Vulture Peak, filmed on my vitist. Buddhist folks from many places, mostly in Asia. Amazing that the all the Gods and Azuras could squeeze in ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Love this.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Gassho, J

STLah

I think I need to practice more Zazen because I am feeling slightly envious of your trip . I've always wanted to go to Bodh Gaya, and also Amritsar. Thanks for the photo and video.

Gassho,

Shade

ST

It was great sitting with you guys, thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Anant

Quote Originally Posted by newby_x86 View Post
    It was great sitting with you guys, thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Anant
    Lovely!

SatToday
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you everyone for another great monthly zazenkai. The Hokey Pokey was spectacular this time!

SatToday
    Bion

Gassho, J

STLah
    Oh, that is lovely!! Thank you for sharing that!!

SatToday
    Bion

Thank you Jundo, Jakuden, Sekishi, and this lovely Sangha. I'm always grateful for the opportunity to sit with you all.

Gassho
    Sat

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you everyone! I was expecting a talk on the Heart Sutra for a long time now, so it was nice to finally have it!
    Gassho
    Nikolas Sat/Lah

Jundo, Its good to see that you were color coordinated with the Theravadins. As to the foot print of Vulture Peak, I imagine all the invoked Buddhas and bodhisattvas, etc just floated out around the peak on air. There is no way they'd all fit on the mountain.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Jundo, Its good to see that you were color coordinated with the Theravadins. As to the foot print of Vulture Peak, I imagine all the invoked Buddhas and bodhisattvas, etc just floated out around the peak on air. There is no way they'd all fit on the mountain.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    With the Tibetans, I believe. They go for reds. Theravadans are more Orange, although some redish too ...

Sri Lanka ...

Burma ...

Thailand ...

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this weekend. I am enjoying the discussion on the Heart Sutra.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

It was great to sit with everyone.

Gassho,
    Koutoku
    SAT
    Koutoku

Quote Originally Posted by Koutoku View Post
    It was great to sit with everyone.

Gassho,
    Koutoku
    SAT
    How wonderful to see you and sit with you every week!!!

SatToday lah
    Bion

Good sitting with you all.
    Ps I couldn’t bring myself to chant for Jar Jar. I’m sorry.

Gassho,
    Kevin
    #SAT #LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post

Gassho,
    Kevin
    #SAT #LAH

Poor Jar jar.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post

Gassho,
    Kevin
    #SAT #LAH

A Star Wars Koan: Does Jar Jar have Buddha Nature?

Gassho, J

STLah

Not - 無 (む)

, Shokai
    stlah
    Last edited by Shokai; 02-09-2021 at 01:23 AM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you everyone. Looking for to more missing links in weeks to come.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you all! Took a while to sit this week but lovely to be with you all.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

Jundo's talk just went out as a podcast episode. You can listen directly here if you want:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/febru...g-heart-sutra/

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.