Thread: ARTS: Early Music

ARTS: Early Music

This thread is for any posts on Early Music. Your music, discussions questions, everything.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-15-2021 at 01:45 AM.
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Well, this thread is off to rather a slow start. Would you like me to post some examples of music, to find out what you all like?

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

My favorite early music composer is Bach. I also like many of the famous pieces - Handel's Messiah, Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Of course, I'm including the Baroque period as early music. Some would define early music as pre-Baroque, so I guess one question is, How are you defining early music?

Gassho,
    Jim
    stlah

Quote Originally Posted by JimInBC View Post
    My favorite early music composer is Bach. I also like many of the famous pieces - Handel's Messiah, Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Of course, I'm including the Baroque period as early music. Some would define early music as pre-Baroque, so I guess one question is, How are you defining early music?
    Most definitions of early music cut off at the baroque period.

Some of my favorite early music is the solo viol repertoire, notably music by Captain Tobias Hume. I played the instrument for a while, and it's a lovely, rich, powerful sound.

I'm also a big fan of John Download, Pérotin, Gesualdo, and many others from that period.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

My favorite composer is Vivaldi. I have a thing for strings... I am not at all well educated in music. I just listen to my local classical station and note what I like.
    Gassho,
    Naiko (Krista)
    st

Quote Originally Posted by JimInBC View Post

Gassho,
    Jim
    stlah
    Hello Jim,
    Wikipedia says the early music period ends in 1750.

Grove (now 'Grove Music Online' - previously 'The Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians') is much more generous, including any music which is played as an historically informed performance on period instruments.

So in either case, the Baroque period is most certainly INcluded.

I also love Bach - now and then - but my favourite Baroque composer is GF Handel.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.

Well, the Wikipedia article says that it _can_ include baroque. None of the early musicians I know include the baroque period in their definition.

And the Grove is simply wrong; does that mean that Beethoven performed on a fortepiano or with gut strings is early music? Or Liszt on a piano from his time? Not in any way.

But, as with the folk music thread, these definitions have led to many arguments among musicians and musicologists.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    Well, the Wikipedia article says that it _can_ include baroque. None of the early musicians I know include the baroque period in their definition.

And the Grove is simply wrong; does that mean that Beethoven performed on a fortepiano or with gut strings is early music? Or Liszt on a piano from his time? Not in any way.

But, as with the folk music thread, these definitions have led to many arguments among musicians and musicologists.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    Well, you and I will not argue, but an exchange of views is healthy.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光

My street name is 'Al'.