Thread: ARTS: A New Home for Treeleaf Poets

ARTS: A New Home for Treeleaf Poets

Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the new-ish Poetry section of our revamped Treeleaf Art Circle. As you can see, all of the existing poetry threads are still here (including the Haiku Club)—they’ve just moved into a new place on the forum.

I have been asked by Jundo and Kokuu to help provide support, guidance, and ultimately inspiration (I hope!). We already have a wonderful community of Treeleaf poets, and I want to ensure that you all continue to share your beautiful work with us. Additionally, I hope that we are able to inspire other members to pick up a pen (or a keyboard) and explore the wonderful world of poetry as an expression of our practice.

Largely, this poetry section will remain as it has—an open, welcoming space for all where we can share our love of poetry regardless of our own self-assessed skill level. This is a critique-free zone, and everyone should feel welcome and comfortable in sharing your work.

We do ask that all poetry shared here should relate to Zen and/or Buddhist practice on some level. Shared poetry certainly doesn’t have to be “about” Zen practice, but it should relate to our practice in some (even remote) way and/or try to adhere to a Zen aesthetic (such as how Haiku, Senryu, Haibun, and other such forms do). When in doubt, just share your work! Chances are, it will fit right in.

***Please Note: It should go without saying that any work shared here must be in accord with our practice of the Precepts (no hateful speech, no excessively violent writings, etc.). Please use your best judgement when posting. If you have any concerns, please PM me.

In the coming weeks, we will try some new things to help provide inspiration. Poetry prompts and possible collaborations with other sections of the Arts & Music Circle are already under consideration. Additionally, I plan to offer a new monthly “Featured Poet” thread. The goal is to spotlight a poet that you may or may not have heard of (always someone with a Zen connection or flavor to their work).

In the meantime, please continue to share your wonderful poems (of any style), and please let me know if there is anything new or different that you would like to see us try here in the poetry section.

Gassho,
    Seikan (RobD)

-stlah-
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-24-2021 at 02:32 AM.
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Lovely!

Looking forward to the monthly poet spotlight!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

This is very exciting, I'm looking forward to this.

Thank you for taking this on, Seikan.

Gassho,

heiso.

StLah.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikan View Post
    Hello Everyone!

Welcome to the new-ish Poetry section of our revamped Treeleaf Art Circle. As you can see, all of the existing poetry threads are still here (including the Haiku Club)—they’ve just moved into a new place on the forum.

I have been asked by Jundo and Kokuu to help provide support, guidance, and ultimately inspiration (I hope!). We already have a wonderful community of Treeleaf poets, and I want to ensure that you all continue to share your beautiful work with us. Additionally, I hope that we are able to inspire other members to pick up a pen (or a keyboard) and explore the wonderful world of poetry as an expression of our practice.

Largely, this poetry section will remain as it has—an open, welcoming space for all where we can share our love of poetry regardless of our own self-assessed skill level. This is a critique-free zone, and everyone should feel welcome and comfortable in sharing your work.

We do ask that all poetry shared here should relate to Zen and/or Buddhist practice on some level. Shared poetry certainly doesn’t have to be “about” Zen practice, but it should relate to our practice in some (even remote) way and/or try to adhere to a Zen aesthetic (such as how Haiku, Senryu, Haibun, and other such forms do). When in doubt, just share your work! Chances are, it will fit right in.

***Please Note: It should go without saying that any work shared here must be in accord with our practice of the Precepts (no hateful speech, no excessively violent writings, etc.). Please use your best judgement when posting. If you have any concerns, please PM me.

In the coming weeks, we will try some new things to help provide inspiration. Poetry prompts and possible collaborations with other sections of the Arts & Music Circle are already under consideration. Additionally, I plan to offer a new monthly “Featured Poet” thread. The goal is to spotlight a poet that you may or may not have heard of (always someone with a Zen connection or flavor to their work).

In the meantime, please continue to share your wonderful poems (of any style), and please let me know if there is anything new or different that you would like to see us try here in the poetry section.

Gassho,
    Seikan (RobD)

-stlah-
    Ah Seikan,
    perhaps you can advise me?
    What is the accepted practice please, to add a new poem to one of the existing threads (which one) or to begin somewhere new (where)?
    I offer apologies, for being confused. Sometimes I feel old beyond my years.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.

Hi Seiko,

Great question. The short answer is please don't stress about it. Anywhere you post is just fine.

The long answer, and my general advice (not a rule) would be to post under an existing thread if your post shares a similar theme (like the new Winter/Summer thread from last week, or the more specific Haiku Club subforum, etc.). However, if no existing thread seems to fit, you are always welcome to create a new thread to post your work. Whatever feel most right to you.

My thinking is that if we can keep our work loosely grouped by theme/subject where possible, it will make it easier for us all to read and enjoy each other's work, but again, this is just a directional idea--not a "rule" by any means.

Looking forward to reading more of your work.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko View Post
    Ah Seikan,
    perhaps you can advise me?
    What is the accepted practice please, to add a new poem to one of the existing threads (which one) or to begin somewhere new (where)?
    I offer apologies, for being confused. Sometimes I feel old beyond my years.

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Quote Originally Posted by Seikan View Post
    Hi Seiko,

Great question. The short answer is please don't stress about it. Anywhere you post is just fine.

The long answer, and my general advice (not a rule) would be to post under an existing thread if your post shares a similar theme (like the new Winter/Summer thread from last week, or the more specific Haiku Club subforum, etc.). However, if no existing thread seems to fit, you are always welcome to create a new thread to post your work. Whatever feel most right to you.

My thinking is that if we can keep our work loosely grouped by theme/subject where possible, it will make it easier for us all to read and enjoy each other's work, but again, this is just a directional idea--not a "rule" by any means.

Looking forward to reading more of your work.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

thank you

In Gassho
    Seiko
    stlah
    Gandō Seiko
    頑道清光
    (Stubborn Way of Pure Light)

My street name is 'Al'.

Any words I write here are merely the thoughts of an apprentice priest, just my opinions, that's all.