Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our January 2021 Treeleaf JUKAI (Undertaking the Precepts) CELEBRATION! -MAIN PAGE-

Our January 2021 Treeleaf JUKAI (Undertaking the Precepts) CELEBRATION! -MAIN PAGE-

The time has again arrived for our annual

JUKAI CEREMONY at Treeleaf Sangha

... to commence Sunday, January 17th at Midnight (Sunday-Monday) Japan time (that is New York 10am, Los Angeles 7am (Sunday morning), London 3pm and Paris 4pm (Sunday afternoon)) (Aussie-Zealanders ... you figure it out! ). The ceremony will last about 1 hour, and will be visible from that time at the screen below:

Our 24 Preceptees come together simultaneously from 10 countries (from New Zealand, Australia, Latvia, England, Germany, Spain, Canada, USA and Japan ... with 4 folks in Georgia, 3 in the U.S. state and 1 in the country! ... plus several other folks undertaking Jukai with us for the second or more times) joining in this Jukai as one, after having spent several months preparing for this day, studying the Precepts, sewing a rakusu, weighing the place of the Buddhist Teachings in their life. As with everything at Treeleaf, all was accomplished fully online, and invite all our Sangha to the celebration. Jundo Cohen is the Preceptor.

Jukai literally means to receive or to undertake the Precepts. It is the ceremony both of one’s formally committing to the Buddhist Sangha and to the Practice of Zen Buddhism, and of one’s undertaking the “Sixteen Mahayana Bodhisattva Precepts” as guides for life. Traditionally for Jukai, one receives from a teacher the Rakusu, which represents the robe of the Buddha, the Kechimyaku, a written lineage chart connecting the recipient to the Buddhas and Ancestors of the past, and a “Dharma name” selected by the teacher and representing qualities of the recipient’s personality and practice.

My teacher, Nishijima Roshi, wrote this:

When a Buddhist seeks to commence upon the study of Buddhism, there is first a ceremony which should be undertaken: It is called “Jukai,” the “Receipt of the Precepts,” the ceremony in which one receives and undertakes the Precepts as a disciple of the Buddha… Master Dogen specifically left us a chapter entitled ‘”Jukai,” in which it is strongly emphasized that, when the Buddhist believer first sets out to commence Buddhist practice… be it monk, be it lay person, no matter… the initial needed steps include the holding of the ceremony of Jukai and the undertaking of the Precepts… The rationale of all of the Buddhist Precepts, the Mahayana Boddhisattva Precepts ... is as a pointing toward the best ways for us to live in this life, in this real world… how to live benefiting both ourselves and others as best we can.

WELCOME!

It is an honor to experience this moment with you.

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLAH

Traditional "Three Treasures Seal" (三宝印) Representing the Bloodline
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-18-2021 at 01:42 AM. Reason: One-way youtube link added.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

We are asking that all our new Jukai-ees and return past Jukai-ees renewing their vows come into the Zoom Room (with camera and microphone if possible) ...

Zoom Link: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Because we are a little crowded, I hope that witnesses and supporters who are not undertaking Jukai this time will use the "one way" view screen above. Thank you.

Anyone who has undertaken Jukai before, here or at another Sangha, is welcome to join us in the Zoom Room to renew your vows.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-15-2021 at 11:45 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Excited to be a part of this!

SatToday lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Congratulations to all of you, thank you Jundo

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

I'm looking forward to sharing this important and sacred milestone with so many of you.

See you all soon!

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    We are asking that all our new Jukai-ees and return past Jukai-ees renewing their vows come into the Zoom Room (with camera and microphone if possible) ...

Zoom Link: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Because we are a little crowded, I hope that witnesses and supporters who are not undertaking Jukai this time will use the "one way" view screen above. Thank you.

Anyone who has undertaken Jukai before, here or at another Sangha, is welcome to join us in the Zoom Room to renew your vows.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Thanks Jundo. See you very soon.

Gassho,
    Sat today,
    Guish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Congratulations to all those taking the precepts this year.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you, Jundo, for making Jukai available like this. Congratulations to everyone taking and renewing the Precepts. Thank you for your practice.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

I still have, on my altar, the leaf I used in Jukai performed in this manner. The ceremony is beautiful, moving, and lastingly meaningful.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

It is an honor to experience this moment with you
    Thank you Jundo

It is indeed an honor to be taking Jukai with you all

Gassho, Chris sat/lah

Congratulations to those undertaking the Precepts. There has been nothing like this in my life.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Congratulations to everyone taking the precepts this this year. I'll be there as part of the one-way crew. Very excited to bear witness to this wonderful event.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

I'll be joining one way too.

Gassho,

heiso.

StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

I'm there one way, so nice to see you all

Gassho

Horin

Stlah

Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Felicitations also from me, I'll be with you one-way
    Sat, Gassho

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk

Here with you

Gassho
    Byokan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

aprapti

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Thank you everyone. That was perfectly lovely. I liked the experiment - felt like it worked well.

Yippee!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Congratulations to all in our new brood of Buddha's Children
    Thank you for this beautiful ceremony.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    Last edited by Shokai; 01-17-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Congratulations everyone! Lovely ceremony

Gassho,

Ryan S
    Sat Today

Congratulations everyone who received the Precepts. I renewed my Precepts one-way and it was a beautiful ceremony. Thank you all for your practice.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Congratulations everyone!
    Deep bows.

Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Thank you to all.

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Absolutely beautiful!

Congratulations to everyone, and thank you so much for your practice!

Nine bows
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

What a beautiful ceremony, and such wonderful selection of dharma names. Congratulations to the new jukaiees!
    Gassho,

Horin
    Stlah

Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Beautiful. Congratulations to everyone involved.

Gassho

heiso.

StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Sooo wonderful. Cheers, and hugs all around!

Gassho
    Byokan
    sat + lah
    展道 渺寛 Tendō Byōkan
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

Thank you to Jundo and everyone participating in this beautiful ceremony.
    YIPPPEEEEE!
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Dear Jundo,
    dear members of the Sangha,

That was indeed a wonderful ceremony. Thank you all so much for being there. Your presence was clearly felt.
    Special thanks to Jundo! For making this possible and for being there for us! And a personal thanks also to Kotei for answering my questions at all hours of the day and night during the sewing. Glad you are all here, I look forward to meeting and to sit with you.

Deep bows
    SatT
    Sascha/ Seiga

Congratulations everyone! Thank you for your sincere practice.

Sekiyuu 赤熊
    Sat Today / LaH

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sekiyuu; 01-17-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Wonderful ceremony! Congratulations to everyone and thank you for your practice!
    Hugging all

Gassho,
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you Jundo, Unsui, fellow Jukai-ees and all in this wonderful Treeleaf Sangha!

Congratulations Jukai-ees! It's been an honor to share this Jukai journey with you.

Big thanks Kotei for all your help

Yee-ha! and Gassho,

Chris sat

Wonderful ceremony. Congratulations to our Jukaiees. Thank you for your practice and your commitment to this path.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Thank Jundo from the bottom of my heart.

And thank you all for allowing me to walk this journey with you. It's been quite the adventure so far, and we're really just beginning, right?

Congratulations to all of my fellow Jukaiees!

Gassho,
    Rob (Seikan)

-stlah-

Such a wonderful ceremony! It was an honor to share this moment with the sangha and fellow Jukai-ees!

Thank you Jundo and our tireless Unsui for all that you do!

Gassho (and Yippie!),
    Koushi,
    ST

Congrats everyone! I completely spaced and thought it was later but I was sitting zazen w you all so there congrats!

gassho

risho
    -stlah

Thank you Jundo! And congratulations to all my fellow Jukaiees!!

sat/lah

Gassho,
    Shoshō
    (they/them)

Congratulations everyone. Thank you to everyone involved in Jukai this year. I learnt so much through reading everyone's posts in the Precept study and it was wonderful to be a part of this ceremony with you all.

Sorry for the faff when we were all asked to turn our microphones on. For some reason Zoom lost mine, but luckily I had a spare external microphone nearby.

Gassho,
    Phill / Sōka
    sat

A wonderful ceremony, many thanks to all!

Gassho,

Tōsai/Peter

STLAH

Thank you Jundo, and congratulations to all participants! It was an honor to share this journey with each and every one of you! Special thanks to Chris and Ryan for being my amateur Ango buddies, and Juki for being my professional Ango buddy!

Yippie! / Gassho,

Josh / Bokuchō

SatToday/LaH

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

What a privilege to be a part of that beautiful ceremony with you all. Congratulations to all Jukaiees and deep gratitude for your practice

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congratulations!

Gassho

Nenka
    ST

Congratulations to all!

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Congratulations to all "children of Buddha". Thank you for your practice commitment.

Also, anyone who wishes to change their forum name to their Dharma name, send me a PM.

Nine bows,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Woo hoo!

gassho
    doyu shonin stlah today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you everyone for this beautiful ceremony. I'm deeply honoured and forever grateful to Treeleaf.

Gassho
    Sat
    Inshin/Ania

A beautiful ceremony.
    Congratulations to all!
    SatToday

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Did not get a chance to join one way today but will watch the replay. Congrats to all who took their vows today. Deep bows to you all.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I have deeply profound affection and appreciation for all of you and I thank you immensely for your fellowship, your practice and commitment to realizing the Buddha way.
    Congratulations fellow jukai recipients! I bow to you (clumsily still with my brand new rakusu)

SatToday lah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Congratulations to you Bion!
    clumsily still with my brand new rakusu
    ... love it

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast