Thread: The life and teachings of Dogen, a series of lectures

The life and teachings of Dogen, a series of lectures

For those of you who understand Spanish well, I found this very interesting series of lectures about Dogen, his life and teachings (coming up): https://sotozen.es/seminario-dogen/

In case you do not understand Spanish and are interested in Dogen's life, I would recommend the movie "Zen":

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Thanks for this. My Spanish won’t be good enough, but the movie looks interesting.

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today

My review of the movie from a few years ago ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello from the Balcony ...

I was finally able to see the movie ... and (though Master Dogen advises during the film that we best drop all thought of "good" and "bad") ... the movie was GOOD!! (especially for a religiously themed bio flick. Of course, it helps to already be a Big Dogen Zenji fan!)

It really has some scenes that, for me, were worth the price of admission. For example, it had the famous lines in which Dogen is asked, after he returns to Japan, what insight he gained in China (and had his "enlightenment" and such) ... he said, "I have come back empty-handed. I have realized only that the eyes are horizontal and the nose is vertical."

It also has a few wonderful scenes in which Dogen, after his so-called "Enlightenment",sheds tears when encountering sadness, like the death of a small child. That's actually a big deal scene, because a lot of Buddhists might think that someone so-called "fully enlightened" should not be crying and feeling tragedy, and would be beyond all such emotions (that is a most common belief in many schools of Buddhism). In fact, Dogen taught that the human heart is right at the heart of the matter!

Okay, there were a couple of cheezy scenes that I put down to the filmmaker's imagination, like the psychodelic animation used to show his moment of "Satori" ... he flies into the sky on an anime pink lotus flower. Hmmm.

But, that was compensated for by the rest of the film, which brought Dogen back down to earth. He spends most of the film teaching such things as "Things Just As They Are (ari-ga-mama)" and "Zazen is not about Satori, Zazen is just to sit!" ... Sound familiar??? :wink:

I give it Five Buddhas!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

(sorry to run long)
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank You Tomas, I enjoyed watching the movie and thank you Jundo for your insight in the movie I also enjoyed the part where they were doing Oryoki, I was proud of myself for knowing quite a bit about Master Dogen I was surprised at what I knew and understood. Excellent movie

Gassho
    John
    SatToday
    Heitou
    平桃

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    My review of the movie from a few years ago ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello from the Balcony ...

I was finally able to see the movie ... and (though Master Dogen advises during the film that we best drop all thought of "good" and "bad") ... the movie was GOOD!! (especially for a religiously themed bio flick. Of course, it helps to already be a Big Dogen Zenji fan!)

It really has some scenes that, for me, were worth the price of admission. For example, it had the famous lines in which Dogen is asked, after he returns to Japan, what insight he gained in China (and had his "enlightenment" and such) ... he said, "I have come back empty-handed. I have realized only that the eyes are horizontal and the nose is vertical."

It also has a few wonderful scenes in which Dogen, after his so-called "Enlightenment",sheds tears when encountering sadness, like the death of a small child. That's actually a big deal scene, because a lot of Buddhists might think that someone so-called "fully enlightened" should not be crying and feeling tragedy, and would be beyond all such emotions (that is a most common belief in many schools of Buddhism). In fact, Dogen taught that the human heart is right at the heart of the matter!

Okay, there were a couple of cheezy scenes that I put down to the filmmaker's imagination, like the psychodelic animation used to show his moment of "Satori" ... he flies into the sky on an anime pink lotus flower. Hmmm.

But, that was compensated for by the rest of the film, which brought Dogen back down to earth. He spends most of the film teaching such things as "Things Just As They Are (ari-ga-mama)" and "Zazen is not about Satori, Zazen is just to sit!" ... Sound familiar??? :wink:

I give it Five Buddhas!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

(sorry to run long)
    One of those movies you can watch over and over and over again and it never loses its charm. It is never about how it ends or any expectations. It’s always about enjoying the ride.

SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you Tomas and Jundo

I'm 20 mins in and loving it. The cook is just awesome!

Gassho, Yokai (Chris) sat/lah

It was a very nice film - thanks again for posting. A couple of the scenes may not be suitable for children.

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today

Quote Originally Posted by bad_buddha_007 View Post
    It was a very nice film - thanks again for posting. A couple of the scenes may not be suitable for children.

Gassho,
    Gareth

Sat today
    Indeed. There were a few scenes not suitable for children. I have watched it a couple of times. It's amazing.

Gassho,
    Sat today,
    Guish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk
    Has been known as Guish since 2017 on the forum here.

Just added to my weekend 'towatch' list. Thanks for the recommendation.

Gassho.

Satlah
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

Quote Originally Posted by bad_buddha_007 View Post
    ... A couple of the scenes may not be suitable for children.
    Hmm. My daughter would prefer Toy Story anyway.

Hey, I just had a great idea for making a Lego "Life of Dogen!"

Dogen in China:

Dogen at Eiheiji:

Dogen meets the Shogun:

No?

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

A nicely integrated project for Treeleaf Arts & Music Circle!

Gassho, Chris sat/lah
    Last edited by Yokai; 01-22-2021 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hmm. My daughter would prefer Toy Story anyway.

Dogen in China:

Dogen at Eiheiji:

Dogen meets the Shogun:

No?

Gassho, J

STLah
    These lego scenes are amazing
    Totally need them

Sat

Franz

Sent from my SM-G770F using Tapatalk