Thread: Does anyone else feel it is "easier" to sit with groups?

Does anyone else feel it is "easier" to sit with groups?

I have been struggling to hit the 15 minute mark on my sitting. But I noticed( aside from my neck and back pain) I have been able to go 30 min. when sitting with others ( last night and this morning. TY to all I sat with) and barely noticed the time passing. Was wondering if anyone else experiences this when group sitting vs. sitting alone.

Dave
    SAT/LAH

Hi Dave,

I feel the same way as there is a very tangible supportive energy to be found in sitting with others, even "virtually".

It was good to sit with you last night, and I hope to sit with you again soon!

Gassho,
    Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Hello Dave,

I find Zazen easier with others because it motivates me to stick with the practice. I feel that as someone who practices Zazen, I'm SUPPOSED to profess a single-minded determination to practice regardless of circumstances, but I think practicing with a group is more beneficial (at least for me, anyway). It's kinda like in university when I did my best work at a library, as opposed to working at home where I could potentially become distracted and shirk my responsibilities.

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Left to myself I'm often good for only 20 minutes (lower back, usually -- chronic injuries). With a group, duing Ango, I often made it to 40 minutes. During sesshin I often end up lying down before it's all over.

Here is an interesting thread from not too long ago: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...=Lion%27s+Pose

It was good to sit with you last night, Shonin. _()_

sorries, too many sentences.

gassho
    shonin the second sat/lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Ty both for your response.
    Rob, I enjoyed sitting with you as well. I will try to be sitting in that slot or sometimes the 11:30 est slot. Plus the 9:30 am slot.

Pleasure to sit with you this morning, Shade.

I've only done it twice recently ( back 10 yrs ago hardly anyone sat virtually)

I never feel like sitting is something I "have to do". But sometimes between the physical pain and my mind not shutting up I find it "difficult" for any real length of time. I just noticed time flies when with the two group sittings(last night and this morning) and there's this energy in the group sit I don't encounter solo.

Shonin(sorry dont know how to make the symbol above your "o"),That's how I feel physically. I woke with my neck very stiff and sore but was able to do the morning sit without any complaints in that area. Thank you again for hosting the sit.

Dave
    SAT/LAH
    Last edited by Shonin; 01-06-2021 at 04:47 PM. Reason: another post came in

I feel the same way. On my own, It's hard to go for more than 20-30 minutes. When I sit weekly Zazenkai, if I have the time, I can do it all in one go. The supportive energy of the group is immense.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Of course, being with a group encourages us and helps keep our asses on the cushion! It sure is a lot harder to get up and walk out in a room full of other folks!

I just want to say though ...

I have been struggling to hit the 15 minute mark on my sitting
    ... even as one sits and may set the clock for "15 minutes," also know deep down that there is no mark to hit, and no time.

Gassho, J
    STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

TY Jundo. Trying to hit the 20 min. twice a day. I know I shouldn't be attached to it. However, I do find sitting with the groups i am doing 30 min twice a day. I'm not distracted by the clock when I am with others it seems.
    Dave
    SAT/LAH

Please excuse the length of my reply.

I was just thinking about a similar topic this morning. For the past few days I have been sitting without a timer set, and this has been a bit different for me than carrying the anticipation of waiting for the bell---there is no bell. In conceptualizing that this moment is only for this (sitting), not having a timer going was a bit... I don't know... better? Definitely different. What does this have to do with your question? It just got me thinking about sitting alone versus in a group, and where the necessity for a timer came from. It is nice to sit, and only have that moment for sitting.

I got the idea from running. We runners tend to get caught up in our watches (the magical ones that record almost everything about you while you run). We talk a lot about how much fun it is to sometimes leave the watch behind and just... run. It is freeing, because your running becomes something only for you. I'm not trying to say anything to anyone else when I run without my watch.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Yes, sitting with others is definitely helpful (at least for me). One unforeseen effect of COVID is that it seems to have brought folks around to the idea of sitting together on video conference. I find people much more amenable to the idea now. I am fortunate to be able to sit with a friend who lives nearby via Zoom a few days a week.

Gassho,
    Shujin
    st.

If I'm physically in the room with them then I'd say maybe, but other than that, not really.

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Just going through life one day at a time!

Ania I will sit with this.

Nengei, I get what you're saying and can see the value in that. I think i'm just more timer oriented to make sure i'm sitting for whatever length of time I have set as my goal for that sit. In the past I have sat with the intent to keep on sitting. Like on free days when i didn't have much or nothing to really do for the day. But I can see how not timing could be nice. Like you said that freedom.

Shujin, seeing the sunshine through the clouds? Shame it takes a pandemic for folks to sit together though.

Gaurdianaq, What makes it less real? There's an actual flesh and blood person in that little camera window.

Dave
    SAT/LAH

PS Had a great sit with the 9:30am(EST) group this morn.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonin View Post
    Ania I will sit with this.

Nengei, I get what you're saying and can see the value in that. I think i'm just more timer oriented to make sure i'm sitting for whatever length of time I have set as my goal for that sit. In the past I have sat with the intent to keep on sitting. Like on free days when i didn't have much or nothing to really do for the day. But I can see how not timing could be nice. Like you said that freedom.

Shujin, seeing the sunshine through the clouds? Shame it takes a pandemic for folks to sit together though.

Gaurdianaq, What makes it less real? There's an actual flesh and blood person in that little camera window.

Dave
    SAT/LAH

PS Had a great sit with the 9:30am(EST) group this morn.
    I never said it was any less real, I'm just less likely to get up before the other person when I'm physically in the room with them. It's a lot easier to just quietly press leave on the zoom call.

Evan,
    Sat today, lah

Sorry i worded that poorly. Excuse me. I dont see a difference personally. a group is a group. But everyone has their own views. I dont think i'm less likely or more likely to quit. I just feel a kind of "we are all together in this" as opposed to feeling like I'm practicing alone.

Dave
    SAT/LAH

To me, sitting alone or with someone, I'm still sitting and it doesn't really affect how I feel about sitting beyond the fact that I know if I get up in a room full of people I'm more likely to disturb them (and I don't want to disturb people). I'm kind of a hermit though and probably interact with people far less than most people do (aside from my wife, I interact with her on a daily basis).

Evan,
    Sat today, lah