Thread: Newbie Questions: Jukai and Dokusan

Newbie Questions: Jukai and Dokusan

After many years of practice at a Soto zendo, in late 2017 I began a very intense year with a Rinzai/Soto mix zendo about 2 hours north of me. I drove up frequently to meet with my teacher, attended sesshins (5 in total!) and participate in classes. I also hosted a local sitting group affiliate and acted as the organization's registrar. It culminated with Jukai in December 2018, after which - unfortunately - the organization imploded due to mounting disputes between its multiple teachers. It was dismaying, and I opted out of the drama.

I missed sitting with a Sangha, though, and recently found my way here. Two curious questions:

1. When one receives Jukai and then switches sanghas, what is the protocol? Is it common to to do Jukai again and sew a new rakusu? Just sew a new rakusu? Neither? Both?
    2. What is the dokusan recommendation in Tree Leaf? (Or is there one?) Honestly, I'm looking for a community more than a teacher, but it feels like there should be a connection to the latter to be fully engaged with the former (?).

[Sorry! More than 3 sentances...]
    Gassho, Shōkon
    昭魂 - Bright Spirit
    Sat Today

Hi Shokon,

Well, as to your first question, attitudes seem to vary from Sangha to Sangha. I believe that one can undertake Jukai many times with many teachers (I experienced Jukai with 4 teachers important in my life), and the the Rakusu is completely portable. I know people in Japan who repeat the Jukai ceremony every year. If you underwent Jukai and have a Rakusu from another group, you are more than welcome to wear it here and use a Dharma Name here. We are of this type. However, there are some groups that are more exclusive about this, and only recognize Jukai, a Rakusu etc. from their group.

In any case, our Jukai preparations start each September for the ceremony in January, with reflections and study on each of the Precepts and sewing a Rakusu, and you are more than welcome to join in if it feels right to you.

However, in my book, the most important thing is -not- the ceremony itself, which alone works no magic. The ceremony is just a celebration of our seeking to live gently, and to learn from the Buddhist teachings, right now and each day. The ceremony just celebrates that fact. More important is that you do your best, today, to live gently in a way helpful and healthy to oneself and others (who are "not two," by the way), avoiding harm such as excess desires, anger, violence, jealousy, ugly speech and the like. That is the real Jukai, undertaking the Precepts, each day.

As to Dokusan ... Dokusan is a bit more emphasized in a Rinzai Zen group which is practicing "Koan Introspection Zazen" in which students are expected to present their understanding of the Koan or Koan phrase to their teacher, sometimes several times a day. In Soto Zen, Dokusan is more a "how is your practice going?" check in, and in our Sangha, very informal ... no bowing and bell ringing, and just a little chat. The focus is usually on practice itself. As well, I like to keep Dokusan for more private and personal issues that cannot be discussed openly, and for all else, keep questions and discussions open on the Forum, where others can benefit and others can also offer valuable insights and help.

Dokusan is also fine just to say "hi" and get to know each other a bit, so I am available most weekdays for that. Have a look here for details if you want to set a time.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...for-Dokusan%29

Anyway, good to have you around the Sangha Shokon, Bright Spirit. Please just make yourself at home.

Sorry for more than 3 sentences too.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-05-2021 at 01:05 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo. I had a wise first teacher who saw my 'spiritual materialism' a mile away - I want a robe and to chant from memory and a Rakusu! - and gently denied me Jukai for many years while she slowly disabused me of a lot of it. By the time I took vows I was still suspicious of my motives but it all felt a lot less 'urgent'. I view my Rakusu as a reminder of what has proven helpful and a visible endorsement of sangha these days, so maybe I've grown a little. But I'm still really impressed that I was actually able to sew something so cool - I'm happy to keep it for now if no change is required.

I started koan work twice, and both times it proved poisonous to my practice, re-igniting a natural tendency toward approval-seeking that shikantaza had calmed. And it felt like it emphasized the student-teacher power imbalance; a public give-and-take feels less fraught. Admittedly, for other personality types, koans and private interviews might be just the right medicine...

[20 minutes of editing and still can't get it to 3 sentences!]
    Gassho, Shōkon
    昭魂 - Bright Spirit
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Shokon View Post
    Thank you, Jundo. I had a wise first teacher who saw my 'spiritual materialism' a mile away - I want a robe and to chant from memory and a Rakusu! ...
    Yes, we cherish the Rakusu, honor the Rakusu for the meaning and teachings embodied ...

... but should not be clinging and attached to the Rakusu, which are just rags after all.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Dlt Whisteblowing.jpg
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-29-2022 at 04:39 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE