Thread: Kodo Sawaki on Transparent self

Kodo Sawaki on Transparent self

A wondrous expression of Shikantaza zazen by Master 'Homeless' Kodo Sawaki, sitting in wholeness beyond and right through all the divisions, disagreement and debate of the world (published in the AZI Journal 'Zen Revue' in the 90s):

~~~~~~~~~~~

People only grow angry because they think of their five feet eight inches of body as a possession. Yet when the sutras talk about it, all they say is that it is a big bag of stinking skin. When somebody in a rage shouts «Who do you take me for?» or «Who do you think you're talking to?» I think to myself, «To a big bag of stinking skin.»

Human beings tear each other apart because of their opinions, politicians tear each other apart, husband and wife tear each other apart. The whole world is full of tearing. Why? Just because of the vanity of our egos. Even monks and nuns and priests tear each other apart: Is there life after death? Is the soul eternal or not? All of that is nothing but trivial jokes, ego-stories. If we stop paying attention to the ego, such nonsense as eternity or not eternity ceases to exist, [likewise] for the soul.

This degenerate world is the reason why professional liars succeed today. But if we observe impermanence, there are no more lies, and where there are no more lies religion appears.

You can see your image in a mirror, but how do you see the mind that not even a mirror can reflect? It’s possible, in zazen, Nothing reveals the ego like zazen. The purer the zazen, the more transparent. the better you can see the illusions of your ego.

Our corruption is that we are cut off from the universe, ‘and our illusion is that we confuse the cut-off ego with the one that, originally, is not separate from the cosmic system, The roots of that true ego are the same as those of sky and earth, the same body and same mind as all sentient beings.

This true religion, which has no right side or wrong side, no inside or outside, is transparent from sky to earth, is the secret of Zen. Everything must become completely transparent, me and you, past and present and future. In terms of reality this means that our life today, our attitude now, gives life to the past. If our attitude is false

then all those who have fed us and taught us, all those we have met and known, have acted solely in order to produce that falseness. If our attitude is right, whatever they have done they did solely in order to produce that rightness. The limits of the Self are truly beyond any imagining, and fill sky, earth, and the whole universe.

In terms of religious faith, space and time have nothing to do with it. It is only right now that we can use this ordinary human body to practice zazen with Shakyamuni, with the Buddhas of the whole universe in the ten directions, practice zazen with the mountains, rivers and trees. That's why | practice zazen.

Sitting like this is what makes the self become transparent, makes us able to see without any limits, in harmony with sky and earth, and it is what gives the self a total vision of the whole universe. That is the way of silent sitting and the principle of Shikantaza.
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-28-2020 at 10:48 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Very inspiring, thank you jundo

Gassho

Horin
    Stlah

Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Thank you.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Wow. Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,

Peter
    st

A wonderful piece of wisdom to push us to correct practice. Very inspiring.
    Thank you, Jundo.
    Gassho
    V.
    SatTodayLAH

Big bag of stinking skin
    walking through the temple of life
    polishing
    the shining jewel of dirt

gassho
    sat

Very interesting and beautiful. TY,Jundo
    Dave
    SAT

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Thank you Jundo

Nothing reveals the ego like zazen.
    This is so true.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Gassho,
    Jesse
    ST

Thank you Jundo, the precept study about anger, this excerpt, and a bit about anger I read from Brad Warner have all been on my mind lately. This is one I struggle with, but tying anger to the ego makes so much sense. Like all things Zen, the solution is Zazen.

Gassho,

Josh
    SatToday/LaH

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Krista
    stlah

Thank you, Jundo. The first paragraph was funny, but it is all so true.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,

Shade

ST
    Hi Shade,

Thank you for being around the Sangha. I hope you are feeling at home.

If I may ask, when you get a chance, would you add a human face photo to accompany your posts? It helps us keep things human around here.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...n-Avatar-Photo

Thank you. Let's us look each other in the eyes more. For some strange reasons, the software designers made the avatar and profile pictures separate. Also, would you mind to sign a human name (like Bob or Mary, if you don't wish to use Casson), as it also makes things a bit more human (some folks use a Dharma Name, but I don't think you have one yet). If there are some confidentiality concerns, let me know, and we have some advice on how to handle that here:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ENTIALITY-TIPS

Thank you!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I like the idea of unity with the trees and earth. Seems so homey to me.

Gassho
    Chelsea
    Sat

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Thank you Jundo
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Great stuff, thanks Jundo.

Gassho,

heiso.

StLah

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

"If our attitude is false then all those who have fed us and taught us, all those we have met and known, have acted solely in order to produce that falseness."

This part really hit me.

Thanks for sharing this excerpt, Jundo.

Matt / Kaishin
    -sT
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Thank you Jundo.
    Gassho.
    Sat today. lah.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    In terms of reality this means that our life today, our attitude now, gives life to the past. If our attitude is false then all those who have fed us and taught us, all those we have met and known, have acted solely in order to produce that falseness. If our attitude is right, whatever they have done they did solely in order to produce that rightness.

It is only right now that we can use this ordinary human body to practice zazen with Shakyamuni, with the Buddhas of the whole universe in the ten directions, practice zazen with the mountains, rivers and trees.
    These concepts are profound and life-altering. Time-limited, eternal sameness. Everything that was--whatever it was--led up to this moment of right action or wrong action. And this is it. Right now is the time, the only time.

Jundoshi, is this essay part of a longer form, published somewhere accessible to we masses?

Gassho
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengei View Post

Jundoshi, is this essay part of a longer form, published somewhere accessible to we masses?
    Here you are. Some of the writings have been published before, some not. I found some stronger than others. I will be posting here an astounding section on "Satori" in the coming day.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...fhWzX2HFn_THmU

Gassho, J

STLah

Here you are.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.