Thread: Is a Treeleaf being hacked?

Is a Treeleaf being hacked?

To our sysadmin wizards

I just want to make sure everything is legit. I occasionally look at the “Who’s Online” (link under quick links) to see who’s online. Last couple of times there has been a number of users (i to 10) I don’t recognize all looking at the same thing. When I check to see who the users are the forum software says I don’t have permission to view the profile. I can view every other profile. I have a screenshot of what I am seeing but he file is too large to upload so I can email it.

Maybe everything is ok but something seems suspicious to me.

Let me know if I can be of any more help

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Certainly not being hacked, but there is a setting that is misconfigured on that page. You should be able to view profiles wherever they display, such as on a forum page. Presumably the server tenzo will take care of this.

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    To our sysadmin wizards

I just want to make sure everything is legit. I occasionally look at the “Who’s Online” (link under quick links) to see who’s online. Last couple of times there has been a number of users (i to 10) I don’t recognize all looking at the same thing. When I check to see who the users are the forum software says I don’t have permission to view the profile. I can view every other profile. I have a screenshot of what I am seeing but he file is too large to upload so I can email it.

Maybe everything is ok but something seems suspicious to me.

Let me know if I can be of any more help

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Hi Tairin, yeah we are aware of this, but thanks for telling us! Our valiant warrior Sekishi is battling the bots I think.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    清 道 寂田
    SEIDO JAKUDEN
    She/her.
    I am a novice priest. Any resemblance my posts may have to actual teachings about the Dharma, living or dead, is purely coincidental (and just my attempt to be helpful).

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Hi Tairin, yeah we are aware of this, but thanks for telling us! Our valiant warrior Sekishi is battling the bots I think.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks Jakuden. Like I said, something seemed off.

Sekishi

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    Thanks Jakuden. Like I said, something seemed off.

Sekishi

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    But the bots are on the outside looking in (as unapproved registrants). They can only see the public sections of the forum (not those for registered and approved members, like the "All of Life" section).

A bot can register, but unless it writes me personally, introduces itself, and tells me a bit about its life and practice ... it ain't getting in as a member!

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Miracle worker and Defender against Bots. What more could we ask for??

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Jakuden has it. We have bots that try to create accounts on the forum. The ones that pass the captcha and such end up in a sort of "holding pattern" where they have created an account but it is not allowed to do anything (cannot read anything that isn't already public, cannot post, etc.). So they log in and attempt to post over and over again. Eventually they give up. I come through once a week or so and delete the accounts.

This activity has really ticked up the past 3 or 4 months and has more or less made the "1 of 10" feature ... not very useful.

Thank you for checking in on it. Same goes for everyone -- if you ever see something odd or funky about the forum, feel free to post or PM Jundo or one of the Unsui! Like Kannon, together we have many hands and eyes.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    sekishi
    石志

He/him. As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

No, this has nothing to do with bots. The report is that on the Who's Online page, clicking a user name to view a profile returns a permissions error.

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    No, this has nothing to do with bots. The report is that on the Who's Online page, clicking a user name to view a profile returns a permissions error.

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    Uh no. This was about the Bots. I just happen to notice them via the Who’s a online page. As was explained above, the user created by the bots are only partially created and awaiting Jundo’s approval to be fully created.

All is good. Our valiant warrior Sekishi is on the case.

Thanks all

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

If I look now, I can click through to profiles of users I know. But when this was first reported, I wasn't able to do this. So it is two problems, and perhaps one is solved.

Why don't we just have a captcha like other websites to thwart bots?

Gassho,

Kirk

bot
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    Why don't we just have a captcha like other websites to thwart bots?
    Hi Kirk,
    I've had a look at the registration page and there is a reCaptcha. Seems that the arms race got into the next round with bots solving those.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean that my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Hi Kirk,
    I've had a look at the registration page and there is a reCaptcha. Seems that the arms race got into the next round with bots solving those.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    I have even had a small numbers of human folks contact me after registering who struck me as suspicious, e.g., perhaps from some hacker operation in India or Vietnam or the like (they exist, with actual human beings in "call centers" registering with websites). However the person was unable to tell me the first thing about Zen or why they are interested, and other such folks did not even bother to write back. I think that simply communicating with most new registrees filters out the fakers. Maybe a few fakers got through anyway (I am still suspicious about Kotei ), but we catch the rest I think.

The only actual conman I encountered was in an brick and mortar Zen group I used to sit with in the USA. Fellow showed up with a hard luck story, secretly "borrowed" hundreds or a few thousand dollars from members to help him out (the people who helped him did not know about the other people helping him in the group), then he vanished ... turned out he runs the same scam at churches, Jewish temples, Buddhist and other groups all over the USA. And that was not even online!

In any case, no other signs of mischief, spam or trouble makers around here (other than Kotei), so looks pretty safe. Reminds me of this old Zen story:

A Zen Master lived the simplest kind of life in a little hut at the foot of a mountain. One evening, while he was away, a thief sneaked into the hut only to find there was nothing in it to steal. The Zen Master returned and found him. "You have come a long way to visit me," he told the prowler, "and you should not return empty handed. Please take my clothes as a gift." The thief was bewildered, but he took the clothes and ran away. The Master sat naked, watching the moon. "Poor fellow," he mused, " I wish I could give him this beautiful moon."

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-28-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Maybe a few fakers got through anyway (I am still suspicious about Kotei ), but we catch the rest I think.
    You know how it is with us AIs... we just have to watch enough of you 'real' guys to behave exactly like you. But as you are learning the same way... who's the fake one anyway

The thief left it behind:
    the moon
    at my window.
    Ryokan

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean that my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.