Thread: The Jukai Ceremony

Question The Jukai Ceremony

Hello everyone! I am new here at Treeleaf, and I have a question. How does the Jukai ceremony occur? I have been interested in Buddhism for a long time now, but have been unable to go to any temples due to my remote location. I intend to have a formal Buddhist practice and wish to receive the Bodhisattva precepts and a Dharma name, so I’m very excited to be able to join sessions of zazen and talk with the community here! Thank you for your time!

- Arthur

My Dharma name is Tai Shi. I am called calm poetry. I write poetry, but my poetry began to change after undertaking the Precepts. Jukai format can be found in our Zendo; however, this profound change takes time. I did not change with my rakusu; I changed over time.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thank you for the reply! Overtime since I’ve gained my interest in Buddhism I have come to realize that profound changes take time, and that the Jukai ceremony won’t necessarily change me vastly in that moment. I would still like to do the ceremony when possible though as a way of reminding my commitment to the path! I appreciate your help, and thank you again!

- Arthur
    Last edited by redmaple; 12-13-2020 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redmaple View Post
    Thank you for the reply! Overtime since I’ve gained my interest in Buddhism I have come to realize that profound changes take time, and that the Jukai ceremony won’t necessarily change me vastly in that moment. I would still like to do the ceremony when possible though as a way of reminding my commitment to the path! I appreciate your help, and thank you again!

- Arthur
    Hi Arthur,

Well, our Precept reflections and sewing of a Rakusu for Jukai begins each September for our Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) ceremony in January. You are invited to join us next autumn, as it is a little late now for our upcoming ceremony. We take time, especially with the beautiful practice of sewing, with no hurry.

HOWEVER, really, the ceremony is just a celebration of our doing as we can to live by the Precepts each day. The ceremony itself works no magic, and has little meaning, if we let ourselves by filled with greed, anger and division at other times. So, what is most important is that, the ceremony aside, you live right now, as best you can, in a harmless and healthful way, beneficial to self and others (who are not two, by the way). You can and should study and reflect on the Precepts any time!

So, if you wish, I invite you to informally join in our Ceremony in January, although unofficially, and say the vows in your heart. Then, if you wish, you can prepare and join in the ceremony to more formally undertake Jukai next time, starting next Fall. Would that be okay?

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-13-2020 at 04:04 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Arthur,

Well, our Precept reflections and sewing of a Rakusu for Jukai begins each September for our Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) ceremony in January. You are invited to join us next autumn, as it is a little late now for our upcoming ceremony. We take time, especially with the beautiful practice of sewing, with no hurry.

HOWEVER, really, the ceremony is just a celebration of our doing as we can to live by the Precepts each day. The ceremony itself works no magic, and has little meaning, if we let ourselves by filled with greed, anger and division at other times. So, what is most important is that, the ceremony aside, you live right now, as best you can, in a harmless and healthful way, beneficial to self and others (who are not two, by the way). You can and should study and reflect on the Precepts any time!

So, if you wish, I invite you to informally join in our Ceremony in January, although unofficially, and say the vows in your heart. Then, if you wish, you can prepare and join in the ceremony to more formally undertake Jukai next time, starting next Fall. Would that be okay?

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH
    Thank you for the reply Jundo! I would be honored to informally join the ceremony this upcoming January, and I would be very happy to undertake Jukai next fall!

- Arthur

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Arthur

If you wish to sit with other Sangha members online (via Zoom) you can join us anytime (well nearly) at "Treeleaf Now" https://www.treeleaf.org/now/
    Some events are formal and will involve bells and chanting, others such as the EuroKiwi session is more a "martini" approach (anytime anyplace anywhere) within the time parameters in the calendar, folk drop in and out as they wish for as long as the wish

The scheduled events that are listed in the calendar are sat within our virtual Scheduled Sitting Room - use the quick links on the drop down menu.
    If you wish to sit outside of these times you can use the Free Sitting Room - again use the quick links drop down. You may sometimes sit on your own or you may just bump into one of us.

There is also our weekly Zazenkai https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...TTING-NETCASTS long or short where you can sit live, if it suits your timezone. Or on demand via the recording, as many of us do.

After all that ........welcome to Treeleaf

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Welcome Arthur! You may wish to say "hi" to everyone in the newcomers thread, if you haven't already https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ighlight=jukai

I look forward to sharing with you.

Gassho, Chris satlah
    Last edited by Yokai; 12-13-2020 at 11:03 PM.