Thread: Chanting with Compromised Eyesight

Talking Chanting with Compromised Eyesight

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive the length of this new post.

This is just my suggestion, I have not consulted other Treeleafers. Someone else may have a better idea.

I wonder if Treeleaf priests could possibly compile a more-or-less 'standard use' chant book (hymn book!? ). I know that there is a chant book, but for Rohatsu it was different. That is ok, although both are difficult for me to see/read . I have attempted to increase the font size - without much luck - maybe because they are in pdf. It would be very helpful to have a large print version.

I think aiming for an A5 page size would make the booklet easy to hold in the correct manner. A5 might mean that pages would have to be assembled carefully and perhaps stitched together through the fold, with a needle and thread.

The large print version in A5 format would have more pages that usual size print, so instead of page numbering, perhaps numbering each chant and offertory would help, so the precentor could say, please turn to number 7, or whatever.

I may be rambling, so I'll leave it here. Happy to discuss further if this is a possibility. Certainly large print would help me a lot.

Thank you for reading my meanderings

In Gassho
    Al
    Stlah

Hi Allister

I do not see any reason why we cannot do this, and it would doubtless be useful to have for future members with visual impairment also.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hi Allister

I do not see any reason why we cannot do this, and it would doubtless be useful to have for future members with visual impairment also.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Thank you Kokuu. I am grateful for your positive response.
    The A5 format and numbering in a standard size print may be useful for fully sighted people too.

In Gassho
    Al
    Stlah

I have produced my own chant book for personal use and think a number of other members have too. Creating something like this, in a 'print your own' PDF format for A5 stitching/stapling together might be nice, with a larger font option for those with certain visual impairments.

However, the A4 Retreat and Zazenkai chant books seem to have served us well for many years.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 12-08-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Hello Kokuu,
    I am not critical of the A4 format. Yet, A5 will be more readily held (in the shape of 3 fingers on the outer cover, pinky and thumb over the pages in use).
    In Gassho
    Al
    Stlah

What sort of specifications would be helpful for you, Allister?

What size font?
    Any specific fonts to use/avoid?
    Bold?

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Hi Kokuu,
    For me, Arial, 16 please.
    No need for bold unless using it for emphasis now and then.
    Thank you so much.
    In Gassho
    Al
    Stlah

Hi Al,

We have a different Chant book for Rohatsu Retreat because so many things there that are not usually included for our regular Zazenkai.

However, we also have this text version of the regular Zazenkai Chants ... Besides what Kokuu might make up for you, feel free to copy and paste it into a WORD file, then change the sizes, fonts and arrangements any way this is best for you.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...nthly-Zazenkai

Also, I just checked all the PDF versions of our Rohatsu Retreat Chant Book, Zazenkai Chant Book and the guide for our upcoming Jukai Ceremony. The text on each one copies if you drag your mouse across it (or just hit "select all"), and then it can past into a WORD file for someone to adjust font, text sizes etc. It is not so pretty, but you can make it any way or size you wish, and then make it look as you wish.

Of course, if someone needs assistance to do so, Kokuu and any of our priests and members will help out, I know.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Al,

We have a different Chant book for Rohatsu Retreat because so many things there that are not usually included for our regular Zazenkai.

However, we also have this text version of the regular Zazenkai Chants ... Besides what Kokuu might make up for you, feel free to copy and paste it into a WORD file, then change the sizes, fonts and arrangements any way this is best for you.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...nthly-Zazenkai

Also, I just checked all the PDF versions of our Rohatsu Retreat Chant Book, Zazenkai Chant Book and the guide for our upcoming Jukai Ceremony. The text on each one copies if you drag your mouse across it (or just hit "select all"), and then it can past into a WORD file for someone to adjust font, text sizes etc. It is not so pretty, but you can make it any way or size you wish, and then make it look as you wish.

Of course, if someone needs assistance to do so, Kokuu and any of our priests and members will help out, I know.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Thank you,
    In Gassho
    Al
    Stlah