Thread: Anyone currently studying?

Anyone currently studying?

I have been studying Japanese on and off for a few years and now I'm back "on". Curious if anyone else is as well.

I have been using lang-8 and HelloTalk to both interact with native speakers and get corrections on everything I write, but honestly have done very little listening and speaking practice.

Sorry to go over: As Jundo knows, I have had some trouble communicating about Zen things because the average Japanese person actually doesn't know much about Zen or Buddhism, not even the word "sangha" (僧伽 そうぎゃ sougya). So I generally include the readings for Buddhist terms and/or an alternative word so as not to confuse people correcting me.

Kenny
    Sat Today

Hey there! I’m starting 101 next year, as part of my religious studies degree (we have to choose a language focus, important for grad school/M.Div programs. Changing careers after 15 years from IT to chaplaincy). To prepare for it I’ve been using this site, which has helped some, but honestly haven’t really dove into study yet: https://marshallyin.com/

Gassho,
    Jesse
    ST

I took two years of Japanese language classes back in 2004 - 2006 and I still remember more than I thought I would, 16 years later. In trying to brush up on my language skills I found that I really benefit from the classroom setting and trying to learn through apps doesn't do it for me for some reason. ざんねんだ。

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

I wouldn't necessarily call it studying but I'm dipping a toe into Japanese hiragana Kenny with learning to read kanji to be the big picture aim.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    Hey there! I’m starting 101 next year, as part of my religious studies degree (we have to choose a language focus, important for grad school/M.Div programs. Changing careers after 15 years from IT to chaplaincy). To prepare for it I’ve been using this site, which has helped some, but honestly haven’t really dove into study yet: https://marshallyin.com/

Gassho,
    Jesse
    ST
    Ooh thanks for this. I might just give it a shot.

Gassho

Nenka
    ST