Thread: ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai December 27th, with Heiku Jaime Mcleod

ATTENTION: Special Zazenkai December 27th, with Heiku Jaime Mcleod

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that Zen Priest (and my friend) Heiku Jamie Mcleod will be joining us for a very special Zazenkai and Talk on SUNDAY December 27th, LIVE from Maine, USA and Treeleaf Tsukuba.

More about Heiku ...

Heiku Jaime McLeod is a priest and teacher at Treetop Zen Center in Maine, having received dharma transmission from Peter Seishin Wohl in 2016. Jaime is a member of the White Plum Asanga, the Soto Zen Buddhist Association and the Zen Peacemaker Order. She's a proponent of socially engaged Buddhism and believes practice must find its expression through compassionate activity in the world, growing out of a direct experience of connection with the Earth and all beings. Her teaching focuses on the opportunities for figurative “home-leaving” available to those who remain householders, and she strives to help students awaken right within the realms of work, love, and home. She lives with her wife, Melissa, and their two children in Winthrop, Maine. Read Jaime’s essay, “Picking and Choosing” in the new compilation Zen Teachings in Challenging Times, published by Temple Ground Press.
    She wrote me to describe the Talk like this:

I will talk about “Staying Home” as a contrast (not really) to the tradition of “Homeleaving.” ... While one entry point, of course, is that we’re all staying home as much as possible because of COVID, it [is] more expansive than that. I’m thinking of how some Treeleafers aren’t able to leave home much, even before this, and about how many, or most, contemporary practitioners must make room for practice amidst full and busy lives of work and family, and how it’s not only possible, but that we have ample opportunity, to practice true renunciation (of the three poisons) in that context. We can always “leave” the “home” of our fixed notions of reality without literally leaving our homes. I’ll look to one or more of the koans that gently admonish the wandering monks of old for always going about looking for “it“ somewhere else.

As part of that, I’ll talk a little about my personal life, with my wife and kids and work and my practice journey. So if folks need some inspiration as LGBTQ practitioners or as parents, they will find something in there they can relate to.
    If you would like to read a bit more about Jaime, here's an interview with her: https://www.sunjournal.com/2018/02/04/to-be-zen/

The festivities for our Zazenkai will begin at 11:00 AM US MAINE TIME SUNDAY 12/27 (that is 11am in New York, 8am in California, London 4pm and Paris 5pm, all SUNDAY December 27th) ... (Alas, Monday 1am for those of us in Japan. )

THE ZAZENKAI WILL BE VISIBLE AT THOSE TIMES and AFTER HERE:

Our sitting schedule will be about the following: About 10 minutes of Zazen, the Talk by Heiku for about 30 minutes, and some Questions from our Treeleaf participants. I anticipate the the event will be about 60 minutes or so, maybe a bit longer if the discussion needs.

FOLKS HAVING QUESTIONS FOR JAIME CAN PRIVATE MESSAGE ME DURING THE Q&A PORTION HERE (PM to JUNDO), and I will check from time to time, and ask as many questions from viewers as possible.

I hope that we will have a big turnout, with many folks joining us "two way" too (instructions below).

Let's all get together to welcome Jaime and hear about "Homeleaving" from right at home!

Gassho, Jundo

HOW TO JOIN THE ZAZENKAI LIVE:

You can join "two-way," with camera and microphone, although "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen
    Sorry to run long. STLah

Last edited by Sekishi; 12-26-2020 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Youtube video added.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Wonderful! Thank you Jundo, I’m very much looking forward to this!

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looking forward to this!
    Thank you.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Sounds great! Will definitely catch it live or later

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

I'm looking forward to this so much! After watching clips of Gudō Wafu Nishijima sitting Zazen in his flat, among hoover and drying laundry, I don't perceive anymore my own flat as a less perfect place for practice.

Gassho
    Sat

Thank you Jundo. This sounds like a talk I will get a lot out of.
    Gassho
    Onka
    sat today
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Thank you, Jundo, for arranging this talk. I look forward to it.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you, Jundo. Looking forward to join it

Gassho,
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you Jundo! Heiku Jaime Mcleod's talk outline looks fascinating and very relevant.

Gassho, Chris satlah

Sounds great. I plan to be their live.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

A little bump for Sunday ... Don't forget, and I hope that many can attend ...

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Thank you for the reminder!
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Looking forward to this, I plan to be there live.

Gassho,
    Ryan
    Sat Today
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

REMEMBER, if anyone who is not in the Zoom group (and is watching "one way" via the youtube screen above) has questions for Heiku after her talk, please PM me ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/priv...=newpm&u=11889

... and I will try to ask Jaime for you.

Gassho, Jundo

Stlah

Lovely talk!

Thank you!

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Wonderful talk that I listened to deeply. Thank you Jundo for sharing Heiku with us.

My Koan for today was "where is the link to Two Way?" I was enlightened 57 minutes in but I was present One Way the whole time

Doshin
    St

I can not be more grateful for the opportunity to listen to Jamie’s talk and learn from her. Thanks to her and thanks to Jundo for organizing it!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

What a lovely talk and lesson! Thankful for Rev. Heiku for being here with us and sharing her time and teaching.

Gassho,
    Jesse
    ST

Oh no... I didn't see this event in the Treeleaf agenda and I missed it. I will watch the video on YouTube.
    Gassho
    V.
    SatToday

Thank you Jundo and Rev Heiku for this wonderful teaching.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Thank you, Rev. Heiku, Jundo, and everyone, for a special time and talk. It clarified practice.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Heiku and Jundo,
    I enjoyed this very much.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Deep gratitude for this wonderful and extremely relevant talk! Regardless of the institution of Zen and the "powers that be," I feel the presence of Sangha here at Treeleaf and beyond :-)

Jundo, usually there is a link for donation, am I missing it or would purchase of the most recent book (which I intend to do anyway) be sufficient?

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thank you Heiku and Jundo.
    I still didn't catch the name of the book Ania asked about clearly. Can anyone help?
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Thank you Rev. Heiku and Jundo for this wonderful teaching today. And thank you as well to those that asked some very thoughtful questions. There was much insight to be had during the hour.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

P.S. Onka, the book was The Hidden Lamp by Florence Caplow and Susan Moon.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Thanks Rob
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Deep gratitude for this wonderful and extremely relevant talk! Regardless of the institution of Zen and the "powers that be," I feel the presence of Sangha here at Treeleaf and beyond :-)

Jundo, usually there is a link for donation, am I missing it or would purchase of the most recent book (which I intend to do anyway) be sufficient?

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    Heiku wrote to say ...

They can offer to Treeleaf or to any charity they feel is doing bodhisattvic work.

Pressed Palms
    Gassho, J

STLah

I've finally got a chance to listen to Rev. Heiku's talk. Thank you so much, that really resonated with me in a few ways particularly around challenging what we think a zen practice should look like and practising as a householder.

Gassho,

heiso.

StLah.

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

My deep gratitude to Heiku Jaime Mcleod for a wonderful talk and Q&A session. It hit on so many deeply relevant issues for zen today. Really fascinating food for thought.

Many thanks Jundo for setting this one up and to all who contributed. I've e-mailed Jaime to thank her too

Gassho, Chris satlah
    Last edited by Yokai; 01-04-2021 at 08:02 AM.

I finally had a chance to catch up with this talk. Wonderful. Thank you Jamie and Jundo.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah