Thread: Half-way Zen

Half-way Zen

“Zazen is living the Dharma without confusion. You don’t do things in a half-assed way.”-Kodo Sawaki

I feel like the only thing I do during the day that isn’t “half-assed” is zazen. A few hours after zazen I’m back to multitasking and juggling multiple electronic devices and social media, trying to inhale as much information as possible. As a result everything is “half-assed,” from how I organize my shoes, do the dishes, my hobbies, even work etc… etc… All because of the pull of electronics, media, and information addiction on my attention. As zen practitioners, how have you dealt with this problem? How do you deal with the feelings of boredom that arise once you quit these addictions?

(Sorry, more than three sentences)

Gassho,

Tom

Sat

I have no television, stereo, radio, desktop or laptop - just my phone - that makes it easy to avoid overload from media. As for boredom, if you can get past the first month without all the devices, you find that life is really richer without all the static. I work, sit zazen, practice and teach yoga, go for long walks, read and take care of my kitties-and it's blissful. I've lived like this for 14 years now, but I could not have done it as a younger person - for numerous reasons. Maybe try disconnecting a little at a time - no devices at all for an hour or two, or just your phone for a day, and see how you feel.

Gassho,
    Juki

sat today and lah

Sorry for going longer than 3 sentences
    Last edited by Juki; 11-29-2020 at 09:11 PM.
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Juki puts it really beautifully.

I am not totally disconnected as I rely on the internet for social interaction since my illness keeps me confined indoors (although this year I am certainly not alone in that). Also I have to check that you folk here are behaving

But, yes, removing the intensity of social media can be hard at first, as we miss the dopamine hit of the refresh button, but that passes quickly enough and personally I find the lack of pressure and feeling of space far outweighs the loss of excitement.

One of the things I enjoy instead is quiet sewing.

Apologies for a little long.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

It is good to reduce social media, minimize, simplify. Even during our busy modern life where most of us must often run and hustle and are bombarded with information, it is good to take a few times each day (or a few days now and then) when we unplug completely, focus on and dedicate to one thing for awhile.

However, also remember that, when doing something "half-assed" you are 100%, thoroughly, "half-assed." Even running, hustling and checking social media is the whole universe, through your eyes and fingers, perfectly running, hustling and checking social media. There is NOTHING in this life, not one second, that is anything less than all the time FULL ASSED, FULLY HALF-ASSED with nothing to ADD! When half-assed, just be 100% half-assed, for half an ass is completely a halved ass. A total FULL MOON!

As to the boredom, take it in small steps, like detoxing ... be simple for bits of time each day ... 45 minutes, an hour to start ... a day now and then ... and build up to where it fits and feels right in your life. No need to go cold turkey.

Sorry to run long ... I should minimize and simplify!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PPS - Tonight is a full moon, by the way, and a "penumbral eclipse" many places (sorry, not in Europe and only parts of Australia)

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...20-november-30

(A "penumbral" eclipse is a very light shading of the moon, by the way, very subtle to notice. However, always a perfectly subtle penumbral eclipse.)
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2020 at 12:12 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    It is good to reduce social media, minimize, simplify. Even during our busy modern life where most of us must often run and hustle and are bombarded with information, it is good to take a few times each day (or a few days now and then) when we unplug completely, focus on and dedicate to one thing for awhile.

However, also remember that, when doing something "half-assed" you are 100%, thoroughly, "half-assed." Even running, hustling and checking social media is the whole universe, through your eyes and fingers, perfectly running, hustling and checking social media. There is NOTHING in this life, not one second, that is anything less than all the time FULL ASSED, FULLY HALF-ASSED with nothing to ADD! When half-assed, just be 100% half-assed, for half an ass is completely a halved ass. A total FULL MOON!

As to the boredom, take it in small steps, like detoxing ... be simple for bits of time each day ... 45 minutes, an hour to start ... a day now and then ... and build up to where it fits and feels right in your life. No need to go cold turkey.

Sorry to run long ... I should minimize and simplify!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PPS - Tonight is a full moon, by the way, and a "penumbral eclipse" many places (sorry, not in Europe and only parts of Australia)

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...20-november-30

(A "penumbral" eclipse is a very light shading of the moon, by the way, very subtle to notice. However, always a perfectly subtle penumbral eclipse.)
    what is full moon in Japanese? I think that would be a fitting name for me because of the double entendre, if I ever undertake Jukai

Gassho,
    Tom

Sat

Quote Originally Posted by StoBird View Post
    what is full moon in Japanese? I think that would be a fitting name for me because of the double entendre, if I ever undertake Jukai

Gassho,
    Tom

Sat
    Full Moon that is half-assed.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

That is the greatest thing Ive seen in a long while.

Gassho
    Tom

sat

Maybe try disconnecting a little at a time - no devices at all for an hour or two, or just your phone for a day, and see how you feel.
    Almost every weekend when I join our volunteer group of the tree planters I try to forget about all gadgets for about 4-5 hours. (except when in need to take photos of our activity...) There were times when I even forgot the phone at home and must admit I felt much happier then
    Yes, nowadays we can't 'function fully' without our devices but putting them aside for a while is good for the practice.

Gassho,
    Washin
    StLah
    Last edited by Washin; 12-01-2020 at 12:11 PM.
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Thank you everyone

I have been without tech for a little while (except for listening to music and watching the occasional tv show) and your advice truly helped...

Sat
    Lah
    Last edited by StoBird; 12-13-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Matt_12
    Quote Originally Posted by StoBird View Post
    All because of the pull of electronics, media, and information addiction on my attention. As zen practitioners, how have you dealt with this problem? How do you deal with the feelings of boredom that arise once you quit these addictions?
    Hi Tom,

Maybe this (short video) will put things in a different perspective:

Warm wishes,

Matt

So, are you living with or without your electronics and their media "half-assed"?

Perhaps you could treat the boredom you foresee as a withdrawal symptom?

Gassho,
    Steve
    --sat today
    Last edited by adahee; 12-19-2020 at 03:22 PM.