Thread: Rohatsu Retreat Information Posted!

Rohatsu Retreat Information Posted!

Dear All,

Just a note that the schedule for our "any time, any where" Treeleaf Rohatsu Retreat has been posted ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...E-%28LOCKED%29

... as well as some small preparatory lessons and explanations ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...RATORY-LESSONS

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

It will be my first ever Rohatsu, and I'll be able to join live for only part of it. Are there any ghatas, small ceremonies to perform during the day or stories to read, and dishes I could cook to make the day feel more special?

Gassho
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Ania View Post
    It will be my first ever Rohatsu, and I'll be able to join live for only part of it. Are there any ghatas, small ceremonies to perform during the day or stories to read, and dishes I could cook to make the day feel more special?

Gassho
    Sat
    Hello Ania,

You will find in the Preparatory Lessons thread just such Gathas, for washing or weeing ... and you can make your own too for all moments.

We have Oryoki, And Samu, and you will see poems posted in the main thread which will be the source of inspiration in talks by our folks.

So, everything during the day in our Retreat!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

I'm very excited to participate in Rohatsu with you all.

One question: will we still have our monthly Zazenkai on the 4th/5th? I'm good either way, but just trying to set proper expectations for myself...

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    I'm very excited to participate in Rohatsu with you all.

One question: will we still have our monthly Zazenkai on the 4th/5th? I'm good either way, but just trying to set proper expectations for myself...

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Rohatsu Retreat takes the place of the monthly in December.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Thank you Jundo and leaders for all your effort to prepare and run this Rohatsu Retreat

Looking forward to it (with a sense of awe!)...one step at a time

Gassho, Chris satlah

I'm looking forward to participating where possible.

Gassho,

heiso.

StLah

I look forward to participating in Rohatsu with you all. I will most likely be doing the recorded parts due to work obligations, but I'm with you all the same.

Gassho, Entai
    St/lah

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

I look forward to participating. I was able to sit at a 2-day retreat shortly before the pandemic began at a brick and mortar Korean temple but never in the Soto style.

I have some questions about Oryoki:
    Are there any stipulations about what we should be eating?
    Should we prepare the food during the rest period before Oryoki?

Apologies if this is already explained somewhere.

Kenny
    Sat Today / LaH

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I look forward to participating. I was able to sit at a 2-day retreat shortly before the pandemic began at a brick and mortar Korean temple but never in the Soto style.

I have some questions about Oryoki:
    Are there any stipulations about what we should be eating?
    Should we prepare the food during the rest period before Oryoki?

Apologies if this is already explained somewhere.

Kenny
    Sat Today / LaH
    Well, I suppose vegetarian, as would be typical in a monastic or Sangha retreat setting. Also, I recommend some dishes that can be served and eaten quickly and neatly. One is not meant to linger. Some folks think that Oryoki means "slow and mindful" eating in which each bite is savored. Far from it! When I first began, years ago, it was a real struggle to get all the rice down at such pace ... like a pie eating contest! When the senior monks are done, everyone should be done!

However, our ritual is really a symbolic meal, so don't eat so fast that one put oneself in danger of choking. Rather, take a small portion that one can finish in time.

Gassho, J

STLah

For any folks sitting realtime CET, I've converted the timetable. I look forward to our practice together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwssu0q9dg...0_CET.pdf?dl=0

Gassho,

Peter

stlah

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Shoemaker View Post
    For any folks sitting realtime CET, I've converted the timetable. I look forward to our practice together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwssu0q9dg...0_CET.pdf?dl=0

Gassho,

Peter

stlah
    For the Europe folks, there really is no reason to stay up through the night, and it is designed for folks to catch up on the regular schedule. It is all "real time."

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Thank you Peter!

Shifting only the last units of the day into the morning of the next, sitting the rest live, worked fine for me in CET in the last years.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Here's a schedule for those in the Eastern time zone, just so you don't have to do math:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today / LaH

Here's a schedule for those in the Eastern time zone, just so you don't have to do math:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today / LaH
    Thank you Kenny!

Gassho,
    Jesse
    ST

Another food-related question: can we eat breakfast before a day begins or should we refrain from eating outside of Oryoki?

I brushed up again on the details and was surprised to see that monks eat an evening meal (so, 3 meals) and get around the vinaya rules by considering it "medicine".
    https://terebess.hu/zen/szoto/oryoki.html

Kenny
    Sat Today / LaH

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

In case it helps, it looks like the links for all of the Rohatsu "units" are now posted in the Treeleaf Now calendar, which should automatically adjust for your local time.

Looking forward to sitting Rohatsu with you all whether you sit live, recorded, or simply in your hearts due to other commitments.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Another food-related question: can we eat breakfast before a day begins or should we refrain from eating outside of Oryoki?

I brushed up again on the details and was surprised to see that monks eat an evening meal (so, 3 meals) and get around the vinaya rules by considering it "medicine".
    https://terebess.hu/zen/szoto/oryoki.html

Kenny
    Sat Today / LaH

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I am going to revise my first attempt at an answer, after some reflection.

I would say that our Oryoki is just formal practice once during each day of our retreat, and symbolic, so it is fine to eat in moderation at other times ... especially if there is medical need. However, later in the day when there is not Oryoki scheduled, keep food light, and avoid heavy or complicated meals. It is traditional to avoid meat during retreat.

Yes, in China and Japan, because of the colder climate, monks began to eat a small evening meal and called it "medicine." Of course, remember that in the South Asian countries, the monks usually awakened before the sun rose, and went to bed quite early, often ate good quantities at the noon meals, plus were allowed juices in the afternoon. So, "noon" is later in the day than for most of us, and they ate enough.

Gassho, J

STLah

Very much looking forward to joining you all for Rohatsu. I signed up for two retreats over this past year, both of which were canceled due to COVID-19 concerns. Thankfully that will not be an issue here!

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today/LAH

I very much look forward to sharing the live sittings where I can, I believe it will be the first time anyone besides Jundo and few friends from the FSR have ever actually seen me live! Thank you all for all of the hard work and preparation for this special event.

Gassho,

Josh
    SatToday

In case anyone else finds this helpful, I printed the Rohatsu chant book using the "booklet" layout setting in Adobe Acrobat Reader, which prints four pages on each sheet of paper (two per side).

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/p...at-reader.html

This not only saves paper, but it allows you to simply fold the stack of pages in half, staple them, and you end up with something that's much easier to hold in gassho while following along.

I'm sure that many folks know about this already, but wanted to share just in case.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Jundo

I will be trying to drop in as and when I can over the weekend, especially when the sessions are aligned with CET daytime/evening. My wife's on going recovery and health will be a factor (still taking it day by day and our dog has not been 100% this week to boot) but I am hoping to be there for the opening ceremony / long service but may need to drop out early, being chief cook and bottle washer this year.

Happy Rohatsu Treeleafers

sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Jundo

I will be trying to drop in as and when I can over the weekend, especially when the sessions are aligned with CET daytime/evening. My wife's on going recovery and health will be a factor (still taking it day by day and our dog has not been 100% this week to boot) but I am hoping to be there for the opening ceremony / long service but may need to drop out early, being chief cook and bottle washer this year.

Happy Rohatsu Treeleafers

sat
    Our Rohatsu Retreat is dedicate to your wife, you, all who are ill and those who love and care for them.

(the dog too)

Gassho, J

stlah

I have started retreat this morning, using some of the sessions I missed from last year as today's units. (Asia is ahead of the US based schedule, and I won't be free on Monday to catch up on the sections that will be live Sunday night here) Looking forward to joining all of you wherever you are in space and time.

Gassho,

Nanrin

Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Thank you all. This is Mission Control: The Main Page hatch for the Retreat is now open ... Countdown has commenced (approaching T-minus 12 hours) ... Oryoki fueling commenced ... All systems report operational (apart from one pretty sickly Priestnaut ) ... Go for launch ... ready to light that incense ...

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...2020-MAIN-PAGE

All systems go.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - The Forum will be closed to most other activities for much of the weekend, other than Rohatsu Retreat.
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-05-2020 at 01:37 AM.