Thread: November 13-14 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai -FRIDAY the 13th!- Remember Daylight Savings!

November 13-14 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai -FRIDAY the 13th!- Remember Daylight Savings!

NOTE: Daylight Savings has changed, please confirm timeless times!

It's FRIDAY the 13th! But today's Zazenkai will bring endless good fortune!

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 8pm, LA 5pm Friday night, London 1am and Paris 2am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 11-13-2020 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Added youtube one-way video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you all soon!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

I'll be there with instruments ready.

Gassho,
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I'll probably be sitting on Sunday, going to be doing the charity stream all night (unless I decide I want a break at 8, and then maybe I'll come)

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Just going through life one day at a time!

Hi all, I'll be with you recorded as it's my son's 10th birthday

Gassho, Chris satlah

Quote Originally Posted by gaurdianaq View Post
    I'll probably be sitting on Sunday, going to be doing the charity stream all night (unless I decide I want a break at 8, and then maybe I'll come)

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Yeeees! Take that break and join us! I’d love to see you, buddy

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Hi everyone

Thanks for sitting with me today, it made my week complete.

Gassho

Satlah - Tokan

Wonderful sitting with you all! Regarding Friday the 13th, feminist writer Barbara G. Walker wrote of Friday in The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets: "Day of the Goddess Freya, called unlucky by Christian monks, because everything associated with female divinity was so called. Friday the 13th was said to be especially unlucky because it combined the Goddess's sacred day with her sacred number, drawn from the 13 months of the pagan lunar year." Well, I don't know how accurate this is, but it makes for a good story.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Thank you all for a great zazenkai. Have a wonderful weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you Jundo, Washin, and all! After a fairly gloomy week here, it was wonderful to see all of your faces and practice together.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Thank you all for this sit. Have a great weekend.

Gassho
    Anant
    SaT

Thanks everyone for sitting!

ジュンドウさんを来訪する人々、僕たち一緒に座るありがとうございます!

Kenny
    Sat today

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone! Have a nice day!
    Nikolas,
    Sat/Lah

History Stories
    UPDATED:NOV 11, 2020ORIGINAL:OCT 13, 2017
    Why Friday the 13th Spelled Doom for the Knights Templar
    The much-feared day was the beginning of the end for the powerful warriors.
    BARBARA MARANZANI
    Illustration of a group Templars being burned at the stake.
    Illustration of a group Templars being burned at the stake.

Why are Fridays that fall on a month’s 13th day so fearful?

Some attribute the origins to the Code of Hammurabi, one of the world’s oldest legal documents, which may or may not have superstitiously omitted a 13th rule from its list. Others claim that the ancient Sumerians, who believed the number 12 to be a “perfect” number, considered the one that followed it decidedly non-perfect.

One of the most popular theories, however, links Friday the 13th with the fall of a fearsome group of legendary warriors—the Knights Templar.

READ MORE: The Knights Templar: The Rise and Spectacular Fall of God's Holy Warriors

Founded around 1118 as a monastic military order devoted to the protection of pilgrims traveling to the Holy Land following the Christian capture of Jerusalem during the First Crusade, the Knights Templar quickly became one of the richest and most influential groups of the Middle Ages, thanks to lavish donations from the crowned heads of Europe, eager to curry favor with the fierce Knights. By the turn of the 14th century, the Templars had established a system of castles, churches and banks throughout Western Europe. And it was this astonishing wealth that would lead to their downfall.

Illustration depicting the Knights Templar in battle, based on a fresco in the Chapel of the Templars in Cressac sur Charente, France.
    Illustration depicting the Knights Templar in battle, based on a fresco in the Chapel of the Templars in Cressac sur Charente, France.

(Credit: DeAgostini/Getty Images)

For the Templars, that end began in the early morning hours of Friday, October 13, 1307.

A month earlier, secret documents had been sent by couriers throughout France. The papers included lurid details and whispers of black magic and scandalous sexual rituals. They were sent by King Philip IV of France, an avaricious monarch who in the preceding years had launched attacks on the Lombards (a powerful banking group) and France’s Jews (who he had expelled so he could confiscate their property for his depleted coffers).

In the days and weeks that followed that fateful Friday, more than 600 Templars were arrested, including Grand Master Jacques de Molay, and the Order’s treasurer. But while some of the highest-ranking members were caught up in Philip’s net, so too were hundreds of non-warriors; middle-aged men who managed the day-to-day banking and farming activities that kept the organization humming. The men were charged with a wide array of offenses including heresy, devil worship and spitting on the cross, homosexuality, fraud and financial corruption.

READ MORE: The Knights Templar Rulebook Included No Pointy Shoes and No Kissing Mom

The Templars were kept in isolation and fed meager rations that often amounted to just bread and water. Nearly all were brutally tortured. One common practice used by medieval inquisitors was the “strappdo,” in which the hands of the accused are tied behind their backs, and then suspended in the air by a rope around their wrists, intended to dislocate the shoulders. As Dan Jones notes in his book, The Templars: The Rise and Spectacular Fall of the Knights Templar, one of the accused’s hands were tied so tightly that blood pooled in his fingertips, and he was kept in a pit no wider than a single footstep. Many of the men were likely stretched on the infamous rack, or had their feet dipped in oil and held over a fire to burn. Given the extreme conditions, it’s not surprising that within weeks, hundreds of Templars confessed to false charges, including Jacques de Molay.

Portrait of Grand Master Jacques of Molay.
    Portrait of Grand Master Jacques of Molay.

(Credit: Stefano Bianchetti/Corbis via Getty Images)

Pope Clement V was horrified. Despite the fact that he’d been elected almost solely because of Philip’s influence, he feared crossing the extremely popular Templars. The Knight’s coerced “confessions,” however, forced his hands. Philip, who had anticipated Clement’s reaction, made sure the allegations against the Templars included detailed descriptions of their supposed heresy, counting on the gossipy, salacious accounts to carry much weight with the Church. Clement issued a papal bull ordering the Western kings to arrest Templars living in their lands. Few followed the papal request, but the fate of the French Templars had already been sealed. Their lands and money were confiscated and officially dispersed to another religious order, the Hospitallers (although greedy Philip did get his hands on some of the cash he’d coveted).

READ MORE: Top Templar Sites in Western Europe

Within weeks of their confessions, many of Templars recanted, and Clement shut down the inquisition trials in early 1308. The Templars lingered in their cells for two years before Philip had more than 50 of the them burned at the stake in 1310. Two years later, Clement formally dissolved the Order (though he did so without saying they’d been guilty as charged). In the wake of that dissolution, some Templars again confessed to gain their freedom, while others died in captivity.

In the spring of 1314, Grand Master Molay and several other Templars were burned at the stake in Paris, bringing an end to their remarkable era, and launching an even longer-lasting theory about the evil possibilities of Friday the 13th.

Gassho
    John
    SatToday
    Heitou
    平桃

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning. Thank you all for your practice.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you Jundo, Washin and everyone. Always a favorite way to close out my week. Love these opportunities to sit with you all (those who did, have and will).

Gassho

Ryan
    Sat Today
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you all for this sitting, Krista and Soyozen73 for interesting stories. I'm not really superstitious but definitely have an exaggerated need of being in control. Learning to let go, every day, bit by bit.

Gassho
    Sat

I was unable to sit with the zoom meeting this weekend- I shall catch up with it on Thursday.

Stewart
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    I was unable to sit with the zoom meeting this weekend- I shall catch up with it on Thursday.

Stewart
    Sat
    Catching up ... yet what is there to attain? (A Koan)

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Sat on demand last couple of mornings.

It's a funny old world. Friday the 13th is seen as a lucky day in Italy, as is the number. But it is Tuesday the 13th which is unlucky in Spain.
    So many labels for so many things, what did folks do before calendars I wonder..............................

sat lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Thank you all for sitting with me!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    Last edited by Kokuu; 11-15-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Sat on demand. Thank you everyone.

Gassho

heiso.

StLah

Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Interesting to sit along with this recording at work on a very quiet day.

Home is noisier as it is in the countryside so I'm surrounded by usual farminig noises and the chainsaws of the lumberjacks, if they choose to work on a Saturday morning. An empty concrete and glass school is physically quieter but there are more things around me that provoke stress. Not sure I'd want to do this at work again unless I have to but it was interesting to do it.

I'd alwasy thought that Friday the 13th was unlucky because Jesus was killed on a Friday and he had 12 close followers plus Judas who abandoned him at that time. The ultimate 仏滅 (butsu-metsu) day.

Stewart
    Sat