Thread: [Engaged] Extra Life Charity Live Stream

[Engaged] Extra Life Charity Live Stream

I'll be live streaming some video games this Friday/Saturday as part of the extra life charity drive to raise money for sick kids. If anyone is interested in checking it out you can see the stream at my extra life page here.

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm...ipantID=434850

I might also be streaming earlier but we'll see how time goes. The money goes towards helping sick kids in London, Ontario. More details about the hospital here https://childrenshospitals.ca/childr...th-foundation/

Thinking I'll be streaming some Dark Souls, Hades, Dead Cells, Beat Saber... Might eat a super spicy pepper on stream for entertainment purposes, it will be fun (and quite painful if I eat the pepper!)

I'll be starting streaming some time between 3 and 4pm Eastern Time (Toronto/New York Time)

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Last edited by gaurdianaq; 11-10-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    Just going through life one day at a time!

Kyotai
    Very cool idea Evan. A very wonderful cause close to my heart. Thank you

Gassho, Kyotai

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by gaurdianaq View Post
    I'll be live streaming some video games this Friday/Saturday as part of the extra life charity drive to raise money for sick kids. If anyone is interested in checking it out you can see the stream at my extra life page here.

https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm...ipantID=434850

I might also be streaming earlier but we'll see how time goes. The money goes towards helping sick kids in London, Ontario. More details about the hospital here https://childrenshospitals.ca/childr...th-foundation/

Thinking I'll be streaming some Dark Souls, Hades, Dead Cells, Beat Saber... Might eat a super spicy pepper on stream for entertainment purposes, it will be fun (and quite painful if I eat the pepper!)

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Ah! So it’s happening! Vert nice!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Hi Evan,

Maybe the hot pepper can be saved for a certain dollar amount. If you know what time you will be streaming it would you mind posting the times here? It might make it easier for people to stop by see what your up to.

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday

Good for you, Evan, that is a great cause!

Thinking I'll be streaming some Dark Souls, Hades, Dead Cells, Beat Saber...
    Well, those all sound very wholesome!

Just kidding - enjoy and I hope you raise a lot of money for the hospitals.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hi Evan,

Maybe the hot pepper can be saved for a certain dollar amount. If you know what time you will be streaming it would you mind posting the times here? It might make it easier for people to stop by see what your up to.

Gassho
    Hoseki
    Sattoday
    Good point, updated it with a general time frame of when I'll be starting (sometime between 3 and 4). And I might do that, I ordered a pack of dried carolina reaper peppers so I'll have more than one. (whether I can stand to eat more than one in a single day is another question)

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu
    Good for you, Evan, that is a great cause!

Thinking I'll be streaming some Dark Souls, Hades, Dead Cells, Beat Saber...
    Well, those all sound very wholesome!

Just kidding - enjoy and I hope you raise a lot of money for the hospitals.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Only the most wholesome games for me :P (technically Hades is about someone trying to escape the greek underworld so that he can meet his mother, and beat saber is just a music game)

EDIT: Depending on time and how I feel, might also play Kennys game

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Last edited by gaurdianaq; 11-10-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Awesome, Evan! I also stream sometimes, but it's been a while. Streaming for charity is a great idea! I've been trying to figure out how to stream in VR without blowing up my laptop...

Gassho
    Sat, lah

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Geika View Post
    Awesome, Evan! I also stream sometimes, but it's been a while. Streaming for charity is a great idea! I've been trying to figure out how to stream in VR without blowing up my laptop...

Gassho
    Sat, lah

I... haven't actually tried streaming VR yet, hopefully my desktop can handle it... I should probably test that out tonight...

Evan,
    Sat today, lah

Lol, yes you should! I always run into some sort of hiccup.

Gassho
    Sat, lah

求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Wow, that's so cool, thank you Evan. I must be getting really old though because I have no idea what anything in your post means besides the raising money for sick kids part. Thank you for some uplifting and badly needed engaged activity!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Wow, that's so cool, thank you Evan. I must be getting really old though because I have no idea what anything in your post means besides the raising money for sick kids part. Thank you for some uplifting and badly needed engaged activity!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    Basically I'm going to play video games for entertainment purposes (where a stream of me/the game will be publicly viewable), the idea is to try and attract viewers and then they watch you play (and possibly donate). I don't really have a following of viewers, but I'm spreading around the fact that I'm doing it anyways, and even if someone doesn't want to tune in to watch, they could still donate if they feel like it.

Evan,
    Sat today, lah

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH
    LOL! I was going to write exactly this too. My gaming career began with playing Frogger at my cousin's house on their Atari. It ended with a splat not long after haha. I always preferred sitting in trees or riding my bike.
    Good on you Evan for doing this though. A very worthwhile event.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    Last edited by Onka; 11-11-2020 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Corrected autocorrect
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Wow, that's so cool, thank you Evan. I must be getting really old though because I have no idea what anything in your post means besides the raising money for sick kids part.
    big smile.. me too

aprapti

std

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Btw streaming right now, playing among us with some of our co-workers.

www.twitch.tv/gaurdianaq

Evan,
    Sat today, lah

Btw streaming right now, playing among us with some of our co-workers.

www.twitch.tv/gaurdianaq

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Saw you for a bit on the stream, love Among Us! Fun game

Quote Originally Posted by Tomás Sard View Post
    Saw you for a bit on the stream, love Among Us! Fun game
    Did you catch me when my mouth was on fire after eating a reaper pepper?

Evan,
    Sat today, lah

Did you catch me when my mouth was on fire after eating a reaper pepper?

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Holy hot pepper, it dawned on me reading this thread that you were going to eat an actual reaper! Yikes, I would have totally watched if I could have, I hope you raised a lot of money lol

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tuned in to see you playing "Dark Souls." Look like like a ferocious Buddhist protector, doing Bodhisattva work, saving folks from the fires of hell with your Sword of Wisdom! Not to mention fighting dragons.

(Unless I misunderstood the game).

Here is another Buddhist Guardian, also with "Estus Flask," Trident and Sword to fight Delusion!

Anyway, fighting evil to help sick kids ... what could be more Bodhisattva than that!?

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-13-2020 at 11:35 PM.

PS - Soto monks, back in the day, were also good dragon and ghost hunters and such, like this story of the 14th Century Soto priest Genno ...

Genno reportedly was traveling through Hoki when he
    encountered the ghost of the wife of Shimazu Atsutada, the lord of
    Kasuga castle. A lifetime of evil deeds had led the deceased wife to suf¬
    fer the torments of hell. Every night as she attempted to escape, her ghost
    appeared, shrieking outside of her grave. The local people were afraid to
    go out after dark. Genno confronted the ghost, teaching her that anyone
    who repented of their evil deeds could be saved. That night Atsutada
    dreamed that his wife had become a Buddha. The next morning he dis¬
    covered that it was Genno who had led her to salvation, and in thanks he
    pledged his financial support to Genno. Shortly thereafter, Atsutada told
    Genno that for several nights he had observed a light shine out of the sea
    to a certain spot on a nearby mountain. Genno interpreted the light as
    evidence that a Buddhist spirit must be hidden in the mountain. Atsu¬
    tada, however, told him that at the foot of the mountain lay the pond of
    an evil dragon. On occasion, the dragon had destroyed local crops and
    attacked people. Genno walked over to the mountain, seeing with his
    own eyes the lands wasted, the crops in ruins. The local villagers begged
    Genno to protect them from the dragon. As he approached the pond, the
    wind suddenly howled and the surface of the water boiled. The dragon
    appeared from out of the pond and moved toward Genno. To stop the
    dragon, Genno chanted scripture. Then, as soon as the dragon became
    still, he administered the precepts. The dragon was transformed instantly
    into Kannon bodhisattva and disappeared into the sky. The next morning
    the baleful pond was gone. The site of evil obstructions thus proved the
    ideal setting for revealing the spiritual power of the precepts and the
    Buddhist compassion associated with Kannon bodhisattva. At that site
    Atsutada erected a new Zen temple (Taikyuji) for Genno.
    Ah, ya see ... the Power of Jukai!

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I tuned in to see you playing "Dark Souls." Look like like a ferocious Buddhist protector, doing Bodhisattva work, saving folks from the fires of hell with your Sword of Wisdom! Not to mention fighting dragons.

(Unless I misunderstood the game).

Here is another Buddhist Guardian, also with "Estus Flask," Trident and Sword to fight Delusion!

Anyway, fighting evil to help sick kids ... what could be more Bodhisattva than that!?

Gassho, J

STLah
    Something along those lines, or at least you try, too bad most of the characters eventually lose their sanity (there are a couple of dragons in the game as well)

Actually one of the games I played, Overwatch, has a character named Zenyatta. Who is basically a Robot Buddhist Monk.

Zenyatta is an omnic monk who wanders the world in search of spiritual enlightenment. It is said that those who cross his path are never the same again. He believes that by forming people into relationships, the world can be healed, and a better society created. But, when necessary, he will fight to protect the innocent, be they omnic or human. The orbs he uses were hand-carved at the Shambali monastary and serve as a means to channel omnic energy.

Like all Shambali, despite being unable to eat, Zenyatta knows how to prepare food.

A former member of the Shambali, Zenyatta disagreed with the group's approach. He believed that the way to repair the problems between humans and omnics was not through dogmatic teaching but through interpersonal connection and engagement. Ultimately, Zenyatta followed his own path. He chose to leave the monastery and wander the world, helping those he meets to overcome their personal struggles and find inner peace.

At some point either before or after leaving the monastery, he encountered Genji, who had left Overwatch and was conflicted with his nature as a cyborg. Though Genji initially rejected Zenyatta's wisdom, the benevolent omnic would not be deterred. In time, Zenyatta became his mentor, and under the monk's tutelage, Genji reconciled his dual existence as both man and machine. Zenyatta would later consider Genji to be one of his brightest pupils.
    Some people think his name is supposed to be a combination of Zen and Śūnyatā.

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Last edited by gaurdianaq; 11-14-2020 at 04:46 AM.