Thread: Art Circle Resources library

Art Circle Resources library

We are looking to create a new resources library for the Art Circle and would welcome any and all suggestions for possible additions to this.
    The library will contain links to resources like Hyperallergic magazine, online museums, art studios that hold online sessions, artist websites, courses, tutors etc, as well as book and material recommendations. But that's just the tip of the fine art iceberg, because we'd also like to include all mediums and practices, including resources for writing, music, fibre craft, photography, performance, film, gardening, cooking, basically anything that involves a creative input.
    If you have some resources you'd like to share , please put them in a comment on this thread. Links would be great, but don't worry if that's not possible, we'll sort that for you. Similarly, if you want to make suggestions for all the possibilities I've no doubt overlooked here, please feel free to put them in this thread.
    When we have a goodly number, I'll start collating them into a pinned post.
    And those artists amongst you, and I know you're out there, do not be shy in promoting yourselves, you all have so much to offer to the rest of us.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-30-2020 at 12:50 AM.
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Lovely idea, Meitou!

This is a link to a virtual exhibition of boro textiles: https://www.japansociety.org/page/pr.../boro-textiles
    A short piece on boro work: https://www.heddels.com/2015/08/all-...ese-patchwork/

A good introduction to sashiko ("little stabs") sewing: https://upcyclestitches.com/sashiko/
    My sashiko 'bible', The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook

There are plenty more if you would like them!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Yes, Kokuu, bring them on, share the joy - also your Haiku resources would be welcome!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Yes, Kokuu, bring them on, share the joy - also your Haiku resources would be welcome!
    I think there is a section for that in the Haiku Club forum but I will check!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

What a great idea!

It would be wonderful to include gateways for beginners to try out new arts/crafts/creative writing/calligraphy/music etc.

It looks like you've already got this covered

Gassho, Chris satlah

Kokuu, we'll just link into the post in that case.
    Chris, thank you this is so helpful because it helps clarify how to organise the various elements of the library (bit of a nightmare), and see, I'd overlooked calligraphy.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Hi,
    Here is a blog link for textile artist Claire Wellesley Smith. I recommend her book Slow Stitch for information and inspiration about the slow stitching movement. http://www.clairewellesleysmith.co.uk/new-page

There is also a Facebook group, for those not adverse to social media, called TextileArtist.org Community Stitch Challenge 2020. It was created during the height of the pandemic lockdowns earlier this year and features 7 “units” of weekly stitch challenges and tutorials that are designed to inspire play and exploration with different materials and techniques, taught by different textile artists. The units are beginner friendly but suitable for experienced stitchers too.

For anyone interested in music instruction, I like https://pegheadnation.com/ for acoustic roots music (US-bluegrass) instruction. There is a fee for the lessons, but they are very good (well, I find the mandolin lessons are very good).
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

I'd overlooked calligraphy.
    My friend Shōgen from Glasgow Zen Centre runs online shodō (Japanese calligraphy) and shakyo workshops: https://drawingandpaintingstudio.com/events-art-groups

There is also this lovely You Tube channel by Esteban Martinez of Gohitsu Shodō Studio which has demonstrations of calligraphy: https://www.youtube.com/user/shodostudio

His website offers an introductory course and shodō blog: https://www.gohitsushodostudio.com

For anyone interested in music instruction, I like https://pegheadnation.com/ for acoustic roots music (US-bluegrass) instruction. There is a fee for the lessons, but they are very good (well, I find the mandolin lessons are very good).
    Thank you, Krista! I have a mandolin and mostly play British and European folk music.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

What an amazing lot you are!
    Thank you Krista and Kokuu.
    Deep bows
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    My friend Shōgen from Glasgow Zen Centre runs online shodō (Japanese calligraphy) and shakyo workshops: https://drawingandpaintingstudio.com/events-art-groups
    Thank you, Krista! I have a mandolin and mostly play British and European folk music.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Oh, marvelous! I am a beginner, but at some point I hope to learn British/Irish/Pentangle-inspired music. It’s easier to find bluegrass lessons though. MandoLessons.com is great too, and free.

This is going to be a cool thread.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Meitou - thank you so much for starting this, it looks like the beginnings of a wonderful resource.

Kokuu - why am I not surprised you play folk on your mandolin?

Gassho

Heiso
    StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Kokuu - why am I not surprised you play folk on your mandolin?
    I guess I am nothing if not predictable!

Oh, marvelous! I am a beginner, but at some point I hope to learn British/Irish/Pentangle-inspired music. It’s easier to find bluegrass lessons though. MandoLessons.com is great too, and free.
    Bluegrass is a great style to play. I don't know if there are any free British/Irish lessons but there is a lot of free tablature at these two sites:

Mandolin Café
    Mandolintab.net

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    I guess I am nothing if not predictable!

Bluegrass is a great style to play. I don't know if there are any free British/Irish lessons but there is a lot of free tablature at these two sites:

Mandolin Café
    Mandolintab.net

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Thank you, Kokuu!
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Thanks for starting this Meitou! I've got lots of links/resources to add. Might go back through past art circle posts to pull out links there. After the election!

Bows
    Anne

~lahst~

I was wondering if as well as this thread a live document can be added as a sticky that can be updated by moderators?
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    I was wondering if as well as this thread a live document can be added as a sticky that can be updated by moderators?
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    I'm not sure what you mean Onka but this thread is just to get the ball rolling. The resource library itself will be a pinned post/ sticky, which we will be updating. I'm not doing that yet as time is needed to sort out categories etc.
    I hope this answers your question.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean Onka but this thread is just to get the ball rolling. The resource library itself will be a pinned post/ sticky, which we will be updating. I'm not doing that yet as time is needed to sort out categories etc.
    I hope this answers your question.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to say Meitou. Reading my comment back I commend you for deciphering it at all hahs.
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Hi Meitou,

If I may promote myself as suggested, this is the link to my website: www.ambersunart.com

Gassho,
    Judy
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by MJG27 View Post
    Hi Meitou,

If I may promote myself as suggested, this is the link to my website: www.ambersunart.com

Gassho,
    Judy
    Sat
    Yes you may Judy! Lovely gallery, I particularly loved From a Distance and the Nectarines, but all of your work is great - I loved that you could give equal space and beauty to a simple bend in the road as to a traditional and complex landscape, really inspiring
    And this goes for anyone here who has a website or blog featuring their work, please don't be shy about sharing your creativity, it can be so inspirational for others and encourage them to step up.

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Yes you may Judy! Lovely gallery, I particularly loved From a Distance and the Nectarines, but all of your work is great - I loved that you could give equal space and beauty to a simple bend in the road as to a traditional and complex landscape, really inspiring
    And this goes for anyone here who has a website or blog featuring their work, please don't be shy about sharing your creativity, it can be so inspirational for others and encourage them to step up.

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    Hi Meitou,

Thank you for the insightful observation and kind words!

Gassho,
    Judy