Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: October 23rd-24th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - A Ukulele Hannya

October 23rd-24th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - A Ukulele Hannya

Our Heart Sutra today will be for all our many, many Ukulele fans ...

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 10-24-2020 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Updated with one-way youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Our Heart Sutra this time will feature this very mellow Ukulele version from Japan ...

However, in finding that, I have also discovered that, apparently, "Tap Dancing" the Heart Sutra is a "thing" in Japan! Who knew!?!

Here's an even bigger tap performance before the VERY BIG 1300 year old "Great Buddha" in Nara ... Wow ...

I came really, REALLY close to asking all our Zazen participants today to tap dance for our ceremony. But, another time ...

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-23-2020 at 02:49 AM.

I will be sitting with the recording this time around. I look forward to joining you all later

(Grad school has piled up on me a bit this week...)

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Will be there with bells

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you all soon.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Inspiring.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Deep bows to the whole band.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Thanks all for sharing in the music of Zazenkai & tea.

Gassho, Chris satlah

Beautiful music.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Beautiful music.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thanks for chanting us through smiling all the way

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Deep bows to the whole band.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    What would we do without our tech guru?!?! I think I speak for all when I say we’re especially fond of you

SatToday
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Wonderful zazenkai and musical tea time.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

The story of Sona and the Lute ...

[The Buddha said], "Sona, you were a musician and you used to play the lute. Tell me, Sona, did you produce good music when the lute string was well tuned, neither too tight nor too loose?"

"I was able to produce good music, Lord," replied Sona.

"What happened when the strings were too tightly wound up?"

"I could not produce any music, Lord," said Sona.

"What happened when the strings were too slack?"

"I could not produce any music at all, Lord," replied Sona

"Sona ... You have been straining too hard in your meditation. Do it in a relaxed way, but without being slack. Try it again and you will experience the good result."

-- Sona Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya 6.55
    And I also recalled the figure of Benzaiten, much beloved in Japanese Buddhism (although actually a Hindu god in origin), a muse and protector of musicians and all that flows ...

Origin = Hindu River Goddess Sarasvatī

Every major city in Japan has a shrine or temple dedicated to Benzaiten. Her places of worship number in the thousands and are often located near water, the sea, a lake, a pond, or a river. She is one of the nation's most widely venerated deities. ... As the personification of this sacred river and of water in general, Sarasvatī came to represent everything that flows (e.g., music, poetry, writing, learning, eloquence, wisdom, performing arts). ... Temples and shrines devoted to her are still found everywhere throughout Japan, where she is worshipped by musicians, painters, sculptors, writers ... But the introduction of Mikkyō 密教 (Esoteric Buddhism) and the mandala art form in the early 9th century stressed instead Benzaiten's role as the goddess of music and portrayed her as a two-armed beauty playing the biwa 琵琶 (four-stringed lute). This iconic two-armed biwa-playing image of Benzaiten was probably derived from earlier depictions in India, where Sarasvatī was portrayed by at least the 6th century CE playing the zither. In Japan, she appears throughout the Heian era in the Taizōkai Mandala 胎蔵界曼荼羅 (Womb World, Matrix Mandala). This portrayal reflects her conflation with Myō-on Bosatsu 妙音菩薩 (Wondrous Sound Bodhisattva). The latter is described in the 24th chapter of the extremely popular Lotus Sutra -- -- wherein we learn that, in a previous life, Myō-on offered homage in the form of hundreds of thousands of kinds of music. Benzaiten, as the Japanese goddess of music, is commonly equated with Myō-on Bosatsu. Why the biwa rather than some other musical instrument? It's hard to say unequivocally, but in Japan, the ritual performance of biwa was used in association with the cult of Myō-on Bosatsu by at least the late 8th century. Also, in Japan, the practice of chanting sutra with biwa music reportedly started around the same time.
    https://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/benzaiten.shtml

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-24-2020 at 03:21 AM.

Thank you Jundo, Jakuden, Sekishi and all for another wonderful Zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sat with the recording for my first Zazenkai. It was beautiful thank you all.

Gassho
    Darren
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Sat with the recording for my first Zazenkai. It was beautiful thank you all.

Gassho
    Darren
    Sat Today
    Oh, great! Thanks for sitting with us, then!!

SatToday
    Bion

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Wonderful talk today Jundo. As a musician and guitarist I endorse your message

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you everyone. As a ukelele player this was just great.

Gassho
    STlah
    Shoki

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    The story of Sona and the Lute ...

And I also recalled the figure of Benzaiten, much beloved in Japanese Buddhism (although actually a Hindu god in origin), a muse and protector of musicians and all that flows ...

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you, Jundo. I really appreciated your talk. The ukulele Heart Sutra was beautiful; I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed a ukulele so much. Thank you all for your practice!
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Sat with the recording. Thank you everyone for sitting.

The ukelele talk reminded me of the art of Iwasaki Tsuneo recently posted on the forums, particularly this piece where the sutra is painted as a reverberation from a bell.
    https://parabolaorg-4jzhg7c.stackpat...nging-Bell.jpg

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
    Thanks for chanting us through smiling all the way

SatToday

Thank you beautiful ukuleles for another inspiring Zazenkai!
    Nikolas,
    Sat/Lah

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you everyone _/\_

Lovely talk Jundo as being an Advanced Beginner Guitarist it resonated with me considerably. If you are truly interested in learning the guitar, I can strongly recommend Justin Sandercoe's online courses, which are free unlike many others out there.

https://www.justinguitar.com/

He has years of experience and teaches everything to take you from absolute beginner up to the like of Eddie Van Halen, as you mentioned, if you have the desire to reach those heights. Feel free to drop me a PM if you would like further info he really is very good. Anyone else for that matter I'd be happy to help if you are interested in playing.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Thank you everyone _/\_

Lovely talk Jundo as being an Advanced Beginner Guitarist it resonated with me considerably. If you are truly interested in learning the guitar, I can strongly recommend Justin Sandercoe's online courses, which are free unlike many others out there.

https://www.justinguitar.com/

He has years of experience and teaches everything to take you from absolute beginner up to the like of Eddie Van Halen, as you mentioned, if you have the desire to reach those heights. Feel free to drop me a PM if you would like further info he really is very good. Anyone else for that matter I'd be happy to help if you are interested in playing.

Sat
    Seishin,

Justinguitar looks great. Thank you. Now, all I need to do is buy a couple of guitars for Leon and me.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Sat with the recording. Thank you everyone for sitting.

The ukelele talk reminded me of the art of Iwasaki Tsuneo recently posted on the forums, particularly this piece where the sutra is painted as a reverberation from a bell.
    https://parabolaorg-4jzhg7c.stackpat...nging-Bell.jpg

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today
    This is absolutely beautiful, thank you for sharing Kenny! I too just sat with the recording and it was beautiful, thank you all for your participation.

Gassho,

Josh
    SatToday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sitting this now. Gassho, Matt

Sat with you all this morning. Many thanks to all.

Tap dancing away to samu...

Gassho,

Peter
    +LAH

Great to hear, Darren.

Gassho,

Peter
    sat+lah

Thank you very much everybody for your effort. Thank you Jund for your teaching, it... touched a string with me.

Gassho,
    Mags
    ST

Hi Jundo, Hi All, this week was particular difficult, and I missed both Zazenkai and Sunday sit because I will undergo Radio Frequency Ablation, needles inserted. In my procedure today, Monday after our sit and rituals; for about 30 minutes Dr Scott Lockwood will use hollow needles into facett joints of my neck spine, cervacle vertabrea, C2, C3, and C4. I must be partially conscious during this procedure, but I'm given strong pain medication abnd sedative. I will experience level 10 pain several times although in each joint briefly. This is the highest pain people experience. The point of this is to deaden my spinal nerves for up to 9 months to avoid more pain. The procedure is repeated every 9 months as long as I am able, hopefully the rest of my luife, the point being that there is perhaps pain 6 or leverl below. My pain has been too high for zazen. Think of me and those of you might sit metta for me is you are able. Thank you.
    Gassho
    sat
    Tai Shi
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 10-26-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling, etc
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Hi Jundo, Hi All, this week was particular difficult, and I missed both Zazenkai and Sunday sit because I will undergo Radio Frequency Ablation, needles inserted. In my procedure today, Monday after our sit and rituals; for about 30 minutes Dr Scott Lockwood will use hollow needles into facett joints of my neck spine, cervacle vertabrea, C2, C3, and C4. I must be partially conscious during this procedure, but I'm given strong pain medication abnd sedative. I will experience level 10 pain several times although in each joint briefly. This is the highest pain people experience. The point of this is to deaden my spinal nerves for up to 9 months to avoid more pain. The procedure is repeated every 9 months as long as I am able, hopefully the rest of my luife, the point being that there is perhaps pain 6 or leverl below. My pain has been too high for zazen. Think of me and those of you might sit metta for me is you are able. Thank you.
    Gassho
    sat
    Tai Shi
    Tai Shi,

Much Metta to you friend. Good luck with your procedure. I strongly hope it gives you the relief you need.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Wonderful! Thank you all for sitting with me.

Sending you much metta, Tai Shi. I know this is an unpleasant procedure but glad you experience the benefits of reduced pain for ome time afterward.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Think of me and those of you might sit metta for me is you are able. Thank you.
    Much metta Tai Shi. I hope you find relief after the procedure and that the procedure itself goes well.

Gassho,
    Jesse
    ST

Gassho
    sat
    Tai Shi
    Sitting and thinking of you, all Metta, TS. I know that you have had this procedure before, so know where to place the mind during the procedure. May you feel so much better on the other side.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Tai shi; sending much Metta your way, get well soon

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Sat with Uke-Shu this morning - 'strumming zen' - marvellous! Maybe he should be called Melodious Monk!

Metta to Tai Shi - wishing you a well spring of wellbeing.

Inspired by the music, I have dusted the cobwebs from my Uke. 'Many a moon has passed since I played you last, forgive me dear old friend!' NOW... to learn to tap dance - this may take a while!

Gassho,
    Brett.

sattoday lah

Gassho
    sat
    Tai Shi
    Finished sitting with you all this evening. Lovely song -- thank you each and everyone for your individual songs

Metta to you Tai Shi, I will keep you in my thoughts

Gassho,

Ryan S
    Sat Today

October 23rd-24th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - A Ukulele Hannya

What I need now is an old time mover and shacker faith healer who will permanently restore my spine just the way Jesus restored vision to the blind man, but I have not that kind of faith. Oh would I like the one of ten gentile stop to thank the Master, And Jesus said truly you have been saved of more than lepracy. Come to think of it I have been saved of more than spondylitis this because the folk gentle folk have saved me from myself for 6 years since 10-2014 and I never thought the tireless hours at 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 just waiting for another few minutes to clear their thinking and the hours spent in sitting just sit.
    Gassho
    st
    Taishi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 10-28-2020 at 06:18 AM.

Thank you and I mean that thank you very much
    Gassho
    st
    Taishi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for making this happen and for sitting with me. I finished the sitting with the recording yesterday.

The talk about emptiness within the ukukele and between the notes made me think of this quote from the Tao Te Ching:

"Thirty spokes share the hub of a wheel;
    yet it is its center that makes it useful.
    You can mould clay into a vessel;
    yet, it is its emptiness that makes it useful.
    Cut doors and windows from the walls of a house;
    but the ultimate use of the house
    will depend on that part where nothing exists..."
    Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Thank you everyone,
    I resonate very much with the idea of finding practice in playing an instrument.
    Practicing traditional pieces on a Shakuhachi is imho quite close to it.
    Instead of an explicit melody or rhythm (which are constructions of time, relying on past and future),
    there are mainly phrases, fitting in one unobstructed breath (no breath modifying techniques like vibrato or airway closing),
    accenting the experience of this moment, Now.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

The Buddha's use of science worked. What is called Radio Frequency Ablation of misnamed Rhizotomy (in my case) shows signs of working, and I may remain with much less pain, and even less, for up to nine months and then this procedure will be repeated. Though the procedure costs Medicare about $15,000 the HOSPITAL believes this is the is better, long run, as successful, it is less expensive than surgery which my doctors have already advised against. and it results in a less drastic procedures such as a pain pump with narcotics constantly pumped into my system, or Oxcodone of which I have already walked away. I will continue with Tizanidine ,the MS drug which helps, though potenlly habit forming at 12 mg/day, I'm allowed maximum 6 mg/day. and at dose it works. My best friends, I am reacting emotionally (you know me) and I believe the Buddha would be happy and compassionate for/to me. And, my God is, and even with tears there is no pain. The procedure is working even at 3 days out. If it works at 5 pm, I will know and will know. I will be, if at all possible, with Zazenkai this coming Friday. As we say in my other most important program, sometimes one moment at a time. I am now able to sit longer hours (I believe) than before, Thank you all. Jundo, please in this case excuse the longer entry.
    Gassho
    st
    Tai Shi
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 10-29-2020 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Nenka

ST

Metta to you, Taishi. I hope the pain continues to subside.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Tai Shi,
    Nice to hear some encouraging words. Keep on keeping on.

Gassho
    STlah
    Shoki

Hello everyone

I was absent for personal reasons, but I am grateful to be back in this wonderful community. A year after my Jukai in January 2017, at Treeleaf I stopped being present. But I am happy to be back, I feel a great respect for Treeleaf and I hope to be able to completely return to a path that I know is correct.
    Today I was with everyone at this moment of practice. I already missed hearing Jundo's teachings. Even his voice and the special way of communicating I was missing.
    I wish you all a great week.
    Sat today
    Gassho 🙏

Welcome back Gokai! Thank you for your practice.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way

Jundo, I felt the least amount of pain I’ve ever felt during procedure so I also believe this will be the most successful of any RFA I’ve ever had.
    Gassho
    st/ lah
    Tai Shi

Thanks for the reminder I can watch/ participate with recordings! Zazenkai: I will sit this week Monday or Tuesday.
    Gassho
    st/ lah
    Tai Shi

Jundo, I felt the least amount of pain I’ve ever felt during procedure so I also believe this will be the most successful of any RFA I’ve ever had.
    Gassho
    st/ lah
    Tai Shi

Tai Shi! Great to hear that!!

SatToday lah
    Bion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast