Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Released Today: THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE by Jundo Cohen!

Released Today: THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE by Jundo Cohen!

Released Today:

THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE - A Guide to Understanding Dōgen and Who You Are in the Universe
    by Jundo Cohen

I am content to announce that my book has been released today by Wisdom Publications/Simon and Schuster.

So many Soto practitioners, both the very new and the many years’ experienced, struggle mightily sometimes to get a handle on Shobogenzo. That’s largely due, of course, to Master Dogen’s wild writing style and unique expressions of the Buddhist teachings. Some readers and practitioners have given up in the end, feeling that they just cannot get a taste for what Dogen was on about. For many, the Shobo is a "no go."

To help remedy this situation, I wanted my book to serve as a first pathway into Dogen and Shobogenzo for those who struggle. I have somewhat simplified and modernized Dogen’s style in several of his writings to make them easier to follow and grasp for today’s readers. And I accompany this with digestible explanations of the likely meanings, all hopefully in a way that does Dogen justice and is faithful to his intent. I wanted to simplify, but not overly simplify. Further, I have tried to explain Dogen’s stylistic quirks in ways that readers will be able to relate to. So many remain befuddled by what Dogen was expressing in all his lyrical rambles, and I want to overcome that.

Here's a hint: What Coltrane created from the "old standard song book," what Jimi Hendrix did to the “Star Spangled Banner” or Picasso did to a vase and table in order to uncover new angles and new light, Dogen did to the ancient Sutra passages, Koans, and stories of our Way, producing amazing sounds and making fresh discoveries from the inspirations and originals, turning them inside out, changing the beat or vision, going to unchartered places, hot riffin' and rockin' on the classics. Hopefully, with a bit of accompanying explanation of the basic Zen and Mahayana teachings to serve as the groundwork, readers who can grasp what Coltrane, Hendrix, and Picasso were doin’ will now get what Dogen was doin’.

(I also wanted to write something clear and understandable for those totally new to Zen, who would not know a Shobogenzo from Ravioli with Gorgonzola )

Plus, as the title promises, my book will help you realize once and for all:

Who You Are in the Universe!

Thanks everyone.

https://wisdomexperience.org/product...masters-dance/
    and
    https://www.simonandschuster.com/boo.../9781614296454

Gassho, Jundo
    SatTodayLah

PS- A special shout out to our Sangha's Kirk McElhearn, who got the original manuscript in shape to even submit it. Thanks friend.

Last edited by Jundo; 10-20-2020 at 04:10 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

that's awesome! finally it's here!

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

Kyotai
    Congrats Jundo. Well done.

Gassho, Kyotai

Got my copy on Kindle this morning. I'll try find time and read it this weekend.

Gassho
    Van
    Satlah

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vanbui View Post
    Got my copy on Kindle this morning. I'll try find time and read it this weekend.

Gassho
    Van
    Satlah
    Oh, better to just enjoy the fall weather if it is nice.

Gassho, J

STLah

Congratulations Jundo!

I look forward to reading your book.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Just received the info that my preorder was shipped today.
    Looking forward to reading it, too.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

I pre-ordered a while back and was informed that my copy is out for delivery right now. So exciting!

I had started reading Realizing Genjokoan as part of my Ango practice, but I'm going to put that aside for the time being and start with your book as I suspect that it will provide a better contextual basis for diving deeper into Dogen afterwards.

Thank you Jundo for this and for all the clarity you provide through your teachings.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Congratulations on getting it published. I look forward to reading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Jundo,
    I wil order one too.
    Very curious. Probably the hardcopy.
    Look forward to reading it and finally " understand " Dogen after soooo long.

Gassho
    Hosei / Hans
    Mountains are waters and waters are mountains ............

Yay! I have it on pre-order too. It is like Christmas come early!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Yay! I have it on pre-order too. It is like Christmas come early!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Rohatsu come early!

Looking forward to reading it.

Sat today,
    Adam

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Great news! Congratulations!
    Looking forward to reading it

Gassho
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    What Jimi Hendrix did to the “Star Spangled Banner” hot riffin' and rockin' on the classics.

Works for me but Kindle version is not available on Amazon France yet. I will sit and bide my time.

sat n rocked

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Time to order! Awesome, I'm looking forward to read your book

Gassho
    Horin
    Stlah

Enviado desde mi BLA-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Kyotai
    I've ordered the book. Any likelihood of an audio version Jundo?

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

Congratulations, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Juki

sat today and lah
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Released Today: THE ZEN MASTER’S DANCE by Jundo Cohen!

Congratulations Jundo.

Just a note for those outside the US. The Kindle version was available for me this morning in the UK, but the physical book won’t be here for a month. I think that’s generally the case with Wisdom Books; they don’t rush to send new books overseas.

And positive reviews on any websites — Amazon or other — will be helpful to the book.

Gassho,

Kirk

Sat
    Last edited by Ryumon; 10-20-2020 at 06:23 PM.
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    Congratulations Jundo.

Just a note for those outside the US. The Kindle version was available for me this morning in the UK, but the physical book won’t be here for a month. I think that’s generally the case with Wisdom Books; they don’t rush to send new books overseas.

And positive reviews on any websites — Amazon or other — will be helpful to the book.

Gassho,

Kirk

Sat
    Thanks for update. My amazon status is "delivery date pending". I prefere book over kindle, will have to be more patient

Gassho
    Sat

It's here! Just waiting for the book tour now...

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Congratulations, Jundo! My copy arrived today and looking forward to reading it!

Gassho,

Ian

SatToday/LAH

Congratulations! My pre-order is on its way—looking forward to it!
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

I had to buy the Kindle edition. But, I''m hoping to read Master Dogen through the eyes of our teacher. And, did you say our daughter reading Classical Japanese was out of your depth?
    Gassho
    st/ lah
    Gassho
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 10-20-2020 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling as usual.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Congratulations! Nice cover. Look forward to reading it.
    Sat/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Kyotai View Post
    I've ordered the book. Any likelihood of an audio version Jundo?

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST
    Yes, here it is, read by the great Shakesperian actor, Gilbert Godfried ...

Actually, no, haven't heard anything. I will ask Wisdom what they think. Need to find someone with a nicer voice than me and Gilbert.

Gassho, J

STlah

!מזל טוב

Just downloaded a copy.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__
    Last edited by Jishin; 11-01-2020 at 04:01 PM.

I suppose a squee isn't very priestlike. But, squeee! Finally!!

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday/LAH

Congratulations. I'm looking forward to learning who I am. Seriously, deep bows.

Gassho,

Hobun

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Congrats Jundo. I've started reading it and I am definitely liking it so far!

Gassho,
    John
    SATlah

Congratulations, Jundo, on publication. I pre-ordered it, and expect it to arrive tomorrow. I'm excited about reading it.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

I received mine today, Jundo. I look forward to reading it

Gassho
    SatLah

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Many congratulations!! I'm so happy for you.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

My copy is wending it’s way through the mails. Congrats!

Gassho,

Peter

sattoday
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

Congrats Jundo. With your unique voice and clear wisdom, I'm pretty sure you'll add something special to zen lit.

Thanks for the hard work...but I'm betting you enjoyed this dance too!

Gassho, Chris satlah

I received my preorder today in Germany.
    Looking forward to reading it.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Amazon France now have the Kindle version available.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And now I do too.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Suhweet. I got the Kindle version today. Congrats Jundo.

Gassho,
    Kevin, STLaH

Congratulations, Jundo.

Gassho
    ST-lah
    Shoki

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes, here it is, read by the great Shakesperian actor, Gilbert Godfried ...

Actually, no, haven't heard anything. I will ask Wisdom what they think. Need to find someone with a nicer voice than me and Gilbert.

Gassho, J

STlah
    I've always enjoyed Mark Hamills voice in audio books. Perhaps your people could call his people

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

I am looking very much forward to reading this. I will be picking it up shortly. Thank you Jundo!
    Sat today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exciting news! Thank you and congratulations, Jundo! I've placed my order for a copy just now and am looking forward to reading it when it arrives

Gassho
    Kyōsen
    Sat|LAH
    橋川
    kyō (bridge) | sen (river)

Congratulations, Jundo! I had pre-ordered it on Kindle, so it should be in my library already

, meian st lh
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Just purchased, I think I'll put the other books I'm reading on hold for this. Super hyped.

Also in terms of voice actors, Mike Pollock is decent. He's done a variety of things from cartoons, to games, to audio books. That being said, is there any reason you couldn't do the voice over yourself? You seem good at speaking and it would probably save a ton of money.

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Last edited by gaurdianaq; 10-21-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    Just going through life one day at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by gaurdianaq View Post
    That being said, is there any reason you couldn't do the voice over yourself? You seem good at speaking and it would probably save a ton of money.
    As someone who knows how this sort of thing works, I know that it is quite a big job. That’s why there are professional audiobook narrators.

Gassho,

Kirk

Satttt
    流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    As someone who knows how this sort of thing works, I know that it is quite a big job. That’s why there are professional audiobook narrators.

Gassho,

Kirk

Satttt
    True, it's a large time commitment, you also want to have a good setup for recording (looking at minimum 100-200 dollars for a decent microphone)

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Just going through life one day at a time!

Brad Warner did a commentary to go along with this vid. Was listening to it earlier today.

Gassho

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Congrats, Jundo!
    Actually my copy should have arrived today, but mail takes a bit longer nowadays. Normally I buy ebooks, but I had to make an exception in this case.

Gassho,

大哲

#sat2day
    no thing needs to be added

Congratulations Jundo, this is a wonderful achievement. Excited to read it when I am done with the other introductory books you recommended.

Gassho, Tomás

Sat&LaH

A squee is quite priestlike. I recommend Lin-chi's squee.

Squeeeee!

gassho

shonin sat today and lah
    Visiting unsui: salt liberally.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast