Thread: Zafu recommendation

Kyotai

Zafu recommendation

I've been using the same Zafu for over 10 years and have decided its time to get a new one. Was hoping someone could recommend one that they really like. (Must ship to Canada).

Thank you in advance

Gassho, Kyotai
    ST

years ago ( i think like 10 also) I got my zafu/zabuton from zen mountain monastery; that thing hasnt even to start showing any signs of wear; it’s filled w buckwheat hulls

here’s a link: https://monasterystore.org/products/mountain-seat-zafu

mine doesnt have the memory foam but it looks just like that

gassho

risho
    -stlah
    Last edited by Risho; 10-17-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Kyotai
    Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    years ago ( i think like 10 also) I got my zafu/zabuton from zen mountain monastery; that thing hasnt even to start showing any signs of wear; it’s filled w buckwheat hulls

here’s a link: https://monasterystore.org/products/mountain-seat-zafu

mine doesnt have the memory foam but it looks just like that

gassho

risho
    -stlah
    thank you. I will see what others suggest as well and then check out that link. My zafu is actually leaking buckweat from the zipper. Makes a bit of a mess every time.

Gassho, Kyotai

Hi Kyotai

I bought a zafu and zabuton from North Meditation (https://northmeditation.com/) that I like. They are local to you.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

ooo no; yeah ive been wanting to get a “punk” looking one from brad warner ( not sure if he still sells them) but luckily no issues or need yet; then if I do start collecting them, would that be spiritual materialism? lol seriously I’d be interested to hear back too and see what sort of setup everyone has

gassho

rish
    -stlah

I find that buckwheat zafus are the most comfortable, and they certainly lost longest.

Because of back pain, I've tried both high zafus and low, half-moon zafus. With both, the buckwheat means that they are very solid, and don't give over time.

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    I got my current set from Leewadee who I believe have a Canadian "branch"

https://www.leewadee.com/uk/1021.html

The zabuton design has changed in the last 4+ years as mine has a dimpled style. Being Kapok filled the zafu is begging to sag again (supplemented with insides of an old pillow a year or so back), so have been considering filling it with Buckwheat Husk (my original and still going strong zafu was BW just too low for me now). Anyway I was searching online for loose Buckwheat Husk and game across this one here in France, with the product being used like tree bark a weed barrier. It crossed my mind as it is just dried husk it could be used for filling and considerable less a price than the bespoke BW Husk offers out there for pillow or zafu stuffing. What dya think ?

https://www.jardiland.com/cosses-de-...RoCLs8QAvD_BwE

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin;27423 Anyway I was searching online for loose Buckwheat Husk and game across this one here in France, with the product being used like tree bark a weed barrier. It crossed my mind as it is just dried husk it could be used for filling and considerable less a price than the bespoke BW Husk offers out there for pillow or zafu stuffing. What dya think ?

[url
    https://www.jardiland.com/cosses-de-sarrasin-50l-1539135.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwlbr8BRA0EiwAnt4MTpCkVos htlAk4PP13exBWH5IAy-JC0LM4jNDiqETk4dBhXzqPD92_RoCLs8QAvD_BwE[/url]
    It certainly looks the same, but I wonder if, since it's sold for use in garden, if it might not be as clean, or might potentially have some small insects in it. This said, do the people who sell it for pillows and zafus on Amazon buy a specific version that is cleaner?

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

I find the kapok filled zafus to be incredibly uncomfortable. Buckwheat hulls all the way here. Luckily they do not seem to break down easily.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Tairin View Post
    I find the kapok filled zafus to be incredibly uncomfortable. Buckwheat hulls all the way here. Luckily they do not seem to break down easily.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    I fill mine with popcorn kernals, cover with foil then, applying a little heat, it fluffs right up. Here's the final product:

Also, any extra makes for a tasty snack after Zazen.

Just kidding. Don't do that.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Got mine from Zafustore.com years ago and is still holding up. They have zafus in different shapes and sizes filled with kapok, buckwheat, caramel, cheese. Whatever you like.

Gassho
    ST-lah
    Shoki

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I fill mine with popcorn kernals, cover with foil then, applying a little heat, it fluffs right up. Here's the final product:

Also, any extra makes for a tasty snack after Zazen.

Just kidding. Don't do that.

Gassho, J

STLah

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    It certainly looks the same, but I wonder if, since it's sold for use in garden, if it might not be as clean, or might potentially have some small insects in it. This said, do the people who sell it for pillows and zafus on Amazon buy a specific version that is cleaner?

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    Might just go for it and see what the quality is like when it arrives. If no good for stuffing it will just go on a few flower beds to keep the weeds down. So win win at the end of the day.

sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

I'm always shocked at the high price of zafus and zabutons , zabutons in particular are so expensive for what is basically a floor cushion. That struck me today when I was in a pet supply shop that had lovely dog beds/ floor cushions for medium and large dogs at a lower price - and no not necessary to sit on a cushion covered in cartoon dog bones, there were some nice sober navy blue ones. Just thought I'd throw that in here for anyone who might be looking to economise a little.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

"Regulation" cushions certainly aren't cheap. But I have found a couple that have been of high quality and I like: Samadhi Cushions Zafu (nice firm, kapok filled) - they're a little pricy but high quality. Samadhi is owned/run by the wife of a Shambhala Acharya if that matters. The other recommendation is buckwheat filled from StillSitting (run by very kind Rinzai Zennies from Washington). Good fabric, firm comfy sit. Slightly off topic, but Zen Mountain Monastery's tall seiza bench is top notch for tall folks. I alternate between it and a zafu.

Sorry if I ran over three sentences.

Gassho,

Ian
    SatToday/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    ... and no not necessary to sit on a cushion covered in cartoon dog bones ...
    Now, wait a second, the Buddha actually recommended that, contemplation looking at bones! Maybe he did not mean cute bones, however.

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - And don't forget Kotei's wonderful and practical "Zafu from a folded blanket!" Ultimately, a Zafu is just something to put your Holy Butt on.

Last edited by Jundo; 10-21-2020 at 12:24 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I never thought about a dog bed! What a great idea for a zabuton. Also, the above rolled blanket technique was my way to go for many years until my husband bought me a zafu.

Gassho
    Sat, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

ha - my dog turned my zabuton into her bed years ago; I still have old saliva marks on there and I would never wash them off because she's no longer here with us, so it's part of my zabuton

Project Get Stuffed...........

Ok so my "garden mulch" has turned up and it seems good quality and dry. So old zafu has been emptied of kapok and is having a wash before, stage two, refill and sew.
    For comparison my 50L cost me 22 Euros and a 15.5L bespoke refill sack around 15 Euros

And if it all goes Pete Tong, I've ordered this as a backup at 35 Euros inc p&p

https://www.zenetbio.fr/fr/meditatio.../451-zafu.html

I will keep you posted.

Sat ........... probably just as well

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Project Get Stuffed Continued

So anyone need an idea for Samu work ? Try this Zafu stuffing lark, so I gave up my guitar practice time to ensure I had something to sit on in the morning and 90 minutes later (including sewing and lots of garage floor sweeping !) result. So I now have a very plump and solid 8" high zafu, which will be perfect for my old knees.

Completing this task was great practice, from the letting go of the kapok covered Seishin and need to wash not only the empty zafu but one of my favourite Lynyrd Skynyrd T-shirts, to the careful art of filling a Zafu that does not want to be filled - more buckwheat on the floor than in the zafu for the first 15 minutes - until we became one and all flowed into each other.

In the last pic my 20 odd year old first zafu, which I could have sworn was described as buckwheat filled when I bought it, after all that it is not and I knew no difference at the time.

I find it ironic looking at the last pic, just like my first Karate Black belt, that I wore for another 12 years and further gradings, both my zafu and zabuton have started to turn grey with use and age. Just like the Karateka Dan grade who keeps on practicing, his belt becoming whiter in time. the colour of a beginners belt. We see Beginners Mind in all things.

All in all I used about 2/3 of the 50L bag, so the "upgrade" cost me about 15-16 Euros in all. The new Zafu 35 Euros which these days is not a bad price. Looking forward to tomorrow mornings test ride, as the extra height as I said will ease my old knees, however now it is time for a well earned beer.

Sorry for the long post, difficult to truncate this to three sentences but maybe folks will benefit from my experimental toils.

Sat lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/