Thread: Zen as Embodiment (6) - All the World's Suffering

Zen as Embodiment (6) - All the World's Suffering

A moment of Zazen, without our doing more, without need for a thought ...

... inhales and embodies all the suffering of the world, not merely our own, but that of all sentient beings everywhere ...

... all the ego and anger, war and violence, divided thinking, grudges, addictions, excess ambitions, rabid needs to dominate, dishonesty, manipulation, stinginess, pessimism, hostility, abuse, degradation, sexual harming, humiliation, jealousy, gluttony, cruelty, unkindness, indifference, rage, hard-heartedness, vindictiveness, prejudice, hypocrisy, mercilessness and all the rest ... the hungry children, the homeless, the oppression and injustice, the warming planet, the disease and wars ...

... and without any doing or need for thought ... from the still still point at the center ...

... embodies and exhales the medicine for all the suffering of the world ...

... exhaling selflessness and calm, peace and friendship, union, agreement, equanimity, satisfaction, cooperation, honesty, harmony, generosity, optimism, fraternity, helpfulness, appreciation, love, respect, honor, healthful consumption, sympathy, kindness, caring, ease, soft-heartedness, forgiveness, fairness, truthfulness, mercy ... feeding the children, providing safe homes, offering freedom and justice, nurturing the planet, treating the disease, ending the war.

Then, getting up from the cushion, it is time to get busy, to think and do again ...

... in every thought, word and act, bringing to life and making real all the selflessness and calm, peace and friendship ... cooperation, honesty and harmony ... healthful consumption, sympathy and kindness, and all the rest ... working hard together to feed the hungry, house the poor, reform social injustices, clean the planet, cure the disease and end all war.

This is our Zazen practice, on and off the cushion.

(An image of a Buddha Statue from a Zen temple in Hiroshima, partially melted during the atomic bombing)

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/photography/2020/08/the-elusive-horror-of-hiroshima

Gassho, J
    STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-09-2020 at 07:24 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho
    Van
    Sah

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jundo. This series of teachings is wonderful.
    I saved that Buddha image; it moved me to tears.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Thank you, words and thoughts to live by.

Gassho

Matt
    st
    Matt
    st

Gassho
    Onka/Anna
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Wonderful.

Gassho,
    Juki

Sat today and lah
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Beautiful, Jundo, as have been all of the pieces in this series.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thank you, Jundo. This is quite a useful reminder.

Gassho
    ST/lah
    Shoki

Thank you Jundo, wise words.

Gassho,

Josh
    SatToday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thank you sooo much about this beautiful teaching Jundo!
    Nikolas ,
    Sat/Lah

Στάλθηκε από το SM-T510 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
    希 rare
    理 principle
    (Nikolas)

Gassho,
    Washin
    StLah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Hi Jundo, equanimity is the most difficult word to discover for me, and I have to double think every time I want to think: maybe equality, person to person, actual true respect one for the other. Do I come close? This list so beautiful for much I have discovered with Zazen.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Beautiful description. Does it have an influence from the practice of Tonglen? It sounds exactly like it!

Gassho, Tomás

Sat&LaH

Zen as Embodiment (6) - All the World's Suffering

I have practiced Tonglen with Kokuu’s group and listened to Perma Chodrin on You Tube many times. I subscribe to her on You Tube. I’ve learned a lot, but I’m far from an authority.
    Gassho
    st / lah
    Tai Shi no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Tomás Sard View Post
    Beautiful description. Does it have an influence from the practice of Tonglen? It sounds exactly like it!

Gassho, Tomás

Sat&LaH
    Influence, and just common Wisdom, really all the same. They are not two.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Tonglen allows me to take in the suffering of a friend or relative or community and send back positive feelings. Equanimity may be a part of it and it is empathy and compassion for another from my own breath and feeling and it is giving to another with the heart of my breath.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro