Thread: Do priests need to have shaved heads?

Do priests need to have shaved heads?

Excuse the ridiculousness of the question ,
    It's something I've genuinely been wondering about ever since I took a Buddhist Philosophy class and the instructor said that he would have become a priest except he didn't want to cut off his hair.

I have a long complicated relationship with haircuts (in fact I've given up haircuts for Ango cause I have a compulsion for cutting my hair allll the time - including yes shaving my head!!).

So is priesthood out of the question for anyone who doesn't want to chop it all off?

Gassho,
    Dee
    ST

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

From what I have seen so far, it is a must in most traditions (if not all). Since a monk works to be free from attachment, aversion and delusion, a monk has a shaved head (and traditionally, I believe they also shaved their eye brows) and wears no jewelry and perfumes. I am not sure if this applies in the Soto zen tradition, I am only speaking from my basic knowledge of the early Buddhist Vinaya (the code for monastics).

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH

Hi Dee

Most of our male unsui and priests here shaved their heads for ordination and have kept to the prescribed standards of hair length (which I believe is no more than two finger widths).

However, although as Tomás says that it is usually required in monastic traditions, Sōtō Zen in the west is largely non-monastic (and priests in Japan are also often householders due to changes in the Meiji period) and we recognise that for women in the west, having a shaved head can be more of an issue than it is for the men.

So, some of our female unsui shaved their heads at ordination and others did not. They all now wear their hair longer I believe and the same is true of most female Zen teachers in the west that I know.

In short, homeleaving ordination is still an option if you want to hang on to your hair! Your vows are more important.

Apologies for a few additional sentences.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 09-18-2020 at 04:45 PM.

No, it is not a rigid requirement. The Vinaya (the old Indian rules of the monks in India) said that hair should not be longer than two finger widths. Some facial hair may have been allowed too. Many monks in China and Tibet can be seen with some hair, although it is usually very short.

This is Thailand

At times of certain important ceremonies such as the actual Ordination ceremony, or on certain shaving days during the month, the priests may completely remove the hair in Asian countries. It is a sign of renunciation, dropping concern with beauty and fashion, living pure and simply. Japanese monks tend to shave their head in most sects (not some of the Pure Land priests however), but this is also not universal.

In the west, many priests keep their hair, especially women priests, although they tend to keep it short. Even many of the Japanese Zen priests in places like Hawaii grow their hair in modern times.

In Ordinations in our Lineage, some of the priests decided not to completely shave their head at Ordination. I am flexible. I shaved complete for my Ordination, but let it grow too (I almost don't have enough hair left to equal "two finger widths" even if I try! :-) ) I shave about every month or so.

Finally, some facial hair is allowed, and even a pierce ... as shown by this guy.

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-18-2020 at 11:03 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Dee,

Although Jundo does not ask us priests to shave our heads after ordination, I chose to do so because it means a lot to me.

I put aside my vanity and the luxury of having hair.

I remind myself everyday of the Bodhisattva vows I live for.

But then again, I am known to do stuff like that

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you all for sharing your insight and experiences about this! It is really interesting to hear about the different approaches to hair, and how that has been interpreted differently over time.

It sounds like a powerful ritual for some and a signifier and reminder of the vows, and it is also beautiful to hear there is room for flexibility.

Gassho,
    Dee
    ST

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi Dee
    My post is about hair and personal growth. Around 20 years ago I had a shaved head and was living a life with a very aggressive mindset and embraced my ability to intimidate. Shaved heads are best for street fighting. I knew Buddhist's shaved their heads as an act of humility and renunciation of ego but I already had a shaved head so I decided the most humbling thing I could do was to do something that made me feel vulnerable so grew my hair. As it grew it formed dreadlocks and for a while my act of humility worked... until it didn't. I kept letting my hair grow and hated every minute of it. My dreads reached my knees and although I hated them my ego was still there and I could still intimidate people. I didn't want to be like this so I cut my hair off hoping to have miraculously rid myself of ego but no. I still sought out violent confontation and had no respect for people who desavowed violence. I thought I was right and could justify everything I said and did. I knew things needed to change and my tokenism was exactly that. I was kidding myself. I found Treeleaf and found my teacher. When I started studying the Precepts I shaved my head again but this time it felt different. I was accountable and had a responsibility to do and be better. My journey with Jundo has been a challenge for both of us as I reign in my attachments and learn to accept a process but I'm still here wrestling with myself every day. Finally my short hair really does represent renunciation and humility.
    Gassho from a work in progress
    Onka
    Sat today

Apologies for going well over 3 sentences but I couldn't find a way to share this with less words.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I chose to not shave my head mostly because I did not want to give any of my family and friends reason to worry, since many of them do not even know that I am training to be a priest. For those that do know I am ordained, I do not want to give them the impression that this path requires these kinds of changes, and that I can continue to express myself physically as I wish. I would not mind shaving it off to be honest, but I also like having long hair. If Jundo came to my house with a razor blade demanding my hair, I would bow and offer it up.

Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Here are some pictures of Soto Zen priests in Japan and, if you look very closely, you will see that some have hair even during big ceremonies ...

And in Western Buddhism, such as these Soto Zen priests in America, you will see that it depends on the person ...

I think it is a good symbol, as our Zen clergy move closely to "ministers" in the world than celibate priests.

Gassho, J

STLah

I shaved my head a few years ago because I wanted to abandon vanity and the ego driven concern over appearance. Unbeknownst to me my head is covered with cherry angiomas which are tiny red dots caused by capillaries collecting on the surface of the skin so I looked like some kind of cartoon alien or weird tropical fruit. I haven't done it since because people started asking what the red dots all over my head were and it was a bit much having to explain.

Gassho
    ST/lah
    Shoki.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm on board with Kazuaki Tanahashi's look, even if he's not a priest.

https://www.upaya.org/wp-content/upl...3-250x339.jpeg

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm on board with Kazuaki Tanahashi's look, even if he's not a priest.

https://www.upaya.org/wp-content/upl...3-250x339.jpeg

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    As my grandmother always said to me, "it is not how someone looks, but who they are inside."

Of course, in Tanahashi Sensei's case, I think that both inside and outside match, and he is wonderful inside and out.

Even a guy with a racoon on his head should not be judge by appearances.

Gassho, J

STLah

I find it a beautiful, physical declaration of a priest's faith and refuge, and I'll be honest, I realise that I have a tad less respect for priests who don't do it, because I see that as vanity, which is my bad.
    I use clippers on my hair at the beginning of every summer and don't think about it again until next summer, I have no attachment to my hair or any other aspect of my physical appearance , but that has come with whatever tiny amount of wisdom age has given me (not much!).
    I like Tanahashi's look ; I'm working on the beard
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

My teacher Kenshin is fifth from right in the front row in the SZBA group photo. <3 _()_

She told me I should shave for ordination and could grow it back, my option; one other priest in our local Sangha has done so. I've kept my head shaved for now (looks like Kojak, dang it!) in solidarity with my Dharma sisters of 2500 years, a personal choice.

IMG_0387.JPG

gassho
    shonin sat today
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Quote Originally Posted by Shōnin Risa Bear View Post
    My teacher Kenshin is fifth from right in the front row in the SZBA group photo. <3 _()_

She told me I should shave for ordination and could grow it back, my option; one other priest in our local Sangha has done so. I've kept my head shaved for now (looks like Kojak, dang it!) in solidarity with my Dharma sisters of 2500 years, a personal choice.

IMG_0387.JPG

gassho
    shonin sat today
    Love the Kojak reference! You just need a lollipop...

I already shave my head because I feel that it looks better. Therefore, if I ever were to ordain, perhaps I would have to grow my hair out as that would go against my vanity... An interesting thought anyway.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

(apologies for the extra sentences)

I already shave my head because I feel that it looks better. Therefore, if I ever were to ordain, perhaps I would have to grow my hair out as that would go against my vanity... An interesting thought anyway.
    How do you feel about losing the beard? That was far harder for me than shaving off the hair!

(spoiler: it grew back! )

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    How do you feel about losing the beard? That was far harder for me than shaving off the hair!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Oh! When you said beard.. I felt that in my gut!!!

SatToday lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Good point. I would hate that as I've only shaved it off once in 30 years (for about 6 months). I'd be willing to make that sacrifice though.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

I was quite sad at first when I started going bald a few years back. The moment I decided to shave it all off and went through with it, it felt like a relief. Not so sure about the beard though, I am really attached to that red-haired friend.

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat&LaH