Thread: September 18th-19th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Embodiment

September 18th-19th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai - Embodiment

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 09-19-2020 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Added youtube link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I will be sitting this afterwards for all people separated from loved ones due to Covid 19. My partner and I will doing a welfare check on our friend whose husband has been in hospital for some time (not Covid 19) because he's unable to have visitors to see how she's travellin'.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat/LAH
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Lovely Onka, to you both. Metta to your friends at this difficult time.

(I'm trying to spot the anarchy...Maybe "Stuff sitting live I'm off to help someone!")

Gassho, Chris satlah
    Last edited by Yokai; 09-18-2020 at 05:14 AM.

I will be there ‘live’. See you tomorrow ...

Gassho, Jonathon
    SATLah

Thank you Jundo.

I'll be there live with instruments ready!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Metta for your friends, Onka. I hope to sit live with you all, but I am pretty tired as I’ve been up since 3 am. I’d be mortified if I dozed off, toppled over and ended up on the Treeleaf blooper reel.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you all soon.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Joining live on YouTube.

Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you all. That was an excellent talk.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you all!
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Thank you everyone for the practice.
    And Jundo, indeed, thank you for the wonderful and very insightful talk...
    It is always a pleasure to sit with you all.
    May you all and all your beloved ones be well.

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    ST&LAH.

Thanks Jundo, Kyonin and all for sharing zazenkai. Wonderful talk and a privilege to be with you all.

Tea time was a real blast - awesome banter!

Gassho, Chris satlah

Thank you all for sitting with me. Jundo, that talk was a really great reminder for me and I was absolutely absorbed listening to you! I loved seeing all of you, as always, and I appreciate all of you deeply!

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Thank you, Jundo, Kyonin, and everyone. It was great to sit with everyone, and the talk made me see how to practice in different situations.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you everyone for sitting.

The mention of "flow" during the talk reminds me of cognitive flow state, a common topic in videogame design. Hopefully this is an interesting read:
    https://www.gamasutra.com/view/featu...hology_of_.php

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today, LAH

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thank you to all.

P

Sattoday
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin, and all! Our weekly Zazenkai continue to be an important cornerstone of support, especially during this intensive practice period.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Here is the "mystery Soto monk" showing the ritual of taking off and hanging robes to attend to the toilet in a Soto monastery ... and it does not even contain the bowing and chanting portions and other rituals of entering the toilet and hand washing after, only the clothes removal.

From about 9:00 he shows it all together at full speed, but it still takes some time ... best not to be in a rush!

Hallway floor washing in a Soto monastery ...

The "toework" ballet of the Morning Ceremony (Choka) at a large Soto monastery (this is bringing out the books for the "tendoku" ritual reading of the 600-fascicle Large Prajña Paramita Sutra (Dai Hannya Kyo), which involves shouting the title and volume number of the sutra, then quickly flipping through the sutra book itself. The purpose is a bit esoteric, much like the belief that simply praising the name of a Sutra equals the merit of reading the whole Sutra, much like those Tibetan prayer wheels where every turn of the wheel = a reading of the sutra inside).

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-19-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Here is the "mystery Soto monk" showing the ritual of taking off and hanging robes to attend to the toilet in a Soto monastery ... and it does not even contain the bowing and chanting portions and other rituals of entering the toilet and hand washing after, only the clothes removal.

From about 9:00 he shows it all together at full speed, but it still takes some time ... best not to be in a rush!

Hallway floor washing in a Soto monastery ...

The "toework" ballet of the Morning Ceremony (Choka) at a large Soto monastery (this is bringing out the books for the "tendoku" ritual reading of the 600-fascicle Large Prajña Paramita Sutra (Dai Hannya Kyo), which involves shouting the title and volume number of the sutra, then quickly flipping through the sutra book itself. The purpose is a bit esoteric, much like the belief that simply praising the name of a Sutra equals the merit of reading the whole Sutra, much like those Tibetan prayer wheels where every turn of the wheel = a reading of the sutra inside).

Gassho, J

STLah
    Thank you for sharing more info on this. I can't recite Heart Sutra yet so I've been listening to the second video before sitting zazen. Fascinating! Now I know à little more of what's going on there
    Gassho
    Sat
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-19-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Thank you Jundo, Kyonin and all.

Jundo, your talk really spoke to me and some things I have been thinking through. Thank you (...and I didn't feel it was too long at all!)

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning. Wonderful talk Jundo. That was a classic.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Just finished sitting along, and even managed to forget that it wasn't "live" for most of it so I'm going to count that as progress.
    Just going through life one day at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by gaurdianaq View Post
    Just finished sitting along, and even managed to forget that it wasn't "live" for most of it so I'm going to count that as progress.
    That is awesome!!! You were totally present while we were sitting it anyway. I could “see” you in one of the many invisible zoom squares

SatToday lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Wonderful talk Jundo. Sat with you today on youtube.

Sat Today

Thank you everyone.

Gassho,
    Juki

sat today and lah
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

_()_

gassho
    shonin, who sat today and lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Thank you everyone

sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by gaurdianaq View Post
    I'm always forgetting it and waving and saying goodbyes . I prefer it this way .
    Sat with all of you this morning .

Gassho,
    eva
    sattoday and LAH
    Last edited by Eva; 09-20-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Thank you everyone! It's nice to be able to sit with you again!
    Gassho, Nikolas
    Sat/LaH

Sitting this one now. Gassho, Matt

Thank you all for sitting with me.

Gassho
    Kokuu

thank you

Gassho

Risho
    -stlah

I managed only today to sit with the recording.
    Thank you Jundo for your teaching, thank you Sangha for your effort.
    Gassho,
    Mags
    ST

Sat with this today. Thank you everyone

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat this today, thank you all for being the embodiment of the practice. This is a very special place and I appreciate everyone involved who makes it so. Metta to you all, deep bows, and thank you for practice.

Gassho,

Josh
    SatToday/LaH

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Wonderful to sit with everyone on Saturday morning. Jundo's words rung true as I sat before my blinking computer screen connected to the tiny tiled ZoomZen faces. Thank you.

Gassho,

Brett.
    SatToday.

Thank you teacher for this lesson. Up until 9 yrs ago I did my share of washing dishes, cooking, laundry, and then death On May 15, again, Oct. 3, 2011, again April 2012, The Woman I love took over as she retired, even she visited Japan's gracious people took all hoshold duties, now I sit zazen in a chair, when I can straight back, and I feel arthritis in my hands, sinking into body, forgive me an old Buddhist.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thank you everyone!
    Gassho,
    Kotei sta/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Loved those videos, the ballet during the Heart Sutra was beautiful. Yours wasn't bad either Roshi! Thank you everyone.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Just finished sitting this. Thank you Jundo for the talk.
    Thank you everyone for practicing together

Gassho,
    Washin
    Buddha typing Buddha
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

Hey just finished this sit. Glad to have sat with all of you fine folks.

Jundo thank you for the teaching as it validated some of the thoughts I had about treating simple things as spiritual acts.

Gassho

Sat Lah, Chelsea

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

I just sat Sunday Sit completely through in my straight back chair, and I made it to the Walking Meditation, the again to the end. I think I will buy a lay robe.
    Gassho
    sat / lah
    Tai Shi
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆