Thread: All is Burning

All is Burning

Dear sangha

After Jundo's talk at this week's Zazenkai, noting that in early Buddhism, nibbana/nirvana referred to the extinction of fires, I just wanted to point towards The Fire Sermon (Adittapariyaya Sutta) which I imagine many of you already know or are aware of.

Thus I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was living at Gaya, at Gayasisa, together with a thousand bhikkhus. There he addressed the bhikkhus.

"Bhikkhus, all is burning. And what is the all that is burning?

"The eye is burning, forms are burning, eye-consciousness is burning, eye-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with eye-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.

"The ear is burning, sounds are burning...

"The nose is burning, odors are burning...

"The tongue is burning, flavors are burning...

"The body is burning, tangibles are burning...

"The mind is burning, ideas are burning, mind-consciousness is burning, mind-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with mind-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.

(translation by Bhikkhu Ñanamoli)

So, here the Buddha is directly pointing to which fires are extinguished - the fire of lust, the fire of hate, the fire of delusion (the three poisons - greed, anger and ignorance) and so on.

We can feel the heat of these fires as we are drawn to objects and people with desire or repel them with aversion and anger, and the coolness when these are not present.

It is very much an early Buddhist presentation of samsara and nirvana, and we would usually speak about it differently in Zen terms, but I think that how the Buddha talks about the fires of samsara is very direct and understandable.

(Sorry, ran longer than three lines)

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-13-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Dear sangha

After Jundo's talk at this week's Zazenkai, noting that in early Buddhism, nibbana/nirvana referred to the extinction of fires, I just wanted to point towards The Fire Sermon (Adittapariyaya Sutta) which I imagine many of you already know or are aware of.

So, here the Buddha is directly pointing to which fires are extinguished - the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion (the three poisons - greed, anger and ignorance) and so on.

We can feel the heat of these fires as we are drawn to objects and people with desire or repel them with aversion and anger, and the coolness when these are not present.

It is very much an early Buddhist presentation of samsara and nirvana, and we would usually speak about it differently in Zen terms, but I think that how the Buddha talks about the fires of samsara is very direct and understandable.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Thank you Kokuu. I haven't read that in ages, so this was a wonderful chance to revisit it.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Yes this In the Fire Sermon is understandable and direct. Ancient Chinese curse, “May you live in interesting n times.” I’m being tested for Covid 19. Physical with blood work last Tuesday the best in 9 years. If I b have to fight it off I’m in the Best shape I could be in. I’ve had flu like symptoms for 3 days b so hospital says be tested. Quarantine for 3 to 5 may you line in interesting days hours moments.
    Gassho
    sat
    Ta Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Thank you brother! So "ancient" yet still so relevant. Our ancestors are always here with us.

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Thank you Kokuu.

Tai that is good news about your health; stay well

gassho

risho
    -stlah

Thank you, Kokuu. I hope all will be well with you, Tai Shi.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Yes this In the Fire Sermon is understandable and direct. Ancient Chinese curse, “May you live in interesting n times.” I’m being tested for Covid 19. Physical with blood work last Tuesday the best in 9 years. If I b have to fight it off I’m in the Best shape I could be in. I’ve had flu like symptoms for 3 days b so hospital says be tested. Quarantine for 3 to 5 may you line in interesting days hours moments.
    Gassho
    sat
    Ta Shi

Tai Shi,

Metta to you and hoping that your test comes back negative. Glad to hear that all else is good!

Gassho2

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

All is Burning

Thanks Rob! I encourage you in your way and being. Sounds like you are an okay guy! I want to buy a lay robe. All is Always burning. Seems worse now.
    Gassho
    sat
    Tai Shi
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 09-13-2020 at 06:18 PM.

I've never heard this Sutta before and it couldn't be more relevant than this present time when it feels like half the world is literally on fire.
    Powerful stuff, thank you Kokuu

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

thanks, kokuu.

aprapti

std/lah

hobo kore dojo / 歩歩是道場 / step, step, there is my place of practice

Aprāpti (अप्राप्ति) non-attainment

Lovely.

Perhaps one difference in the Mahayana and Zen from the traditional meaning of The Fire Sermon in South Asian Buddhism is summed up in something I read recently, by a scholar commenting on the change in focus by the great Mahayana Ancestor Nāgārjuna (in his great writing known as the MMK, or Mūlamadhyamakakārikā). Early Asian interpretations of Buddhism emphasized more that we need to completely cool and put out the fires of passion and desire within in order to realize nirvana as an escape from "samsara" (this ugly world):

Nāgārjuna’s most vivid [shift] is found in his radical non-dual equation of saṃsāra and nirvāṇa in MMK XXV:19: ‘Saṃsāra [this ordinary world and our ordinary mind] is nothing essentially different from nirvāṇa. Nirvāṇa is nothing essentially different from saṃsāra.’ Saṃsāra and nirvāṇa have the same essential nature – no nature – like all things they share the same empty natures. ... Between the two, also, there is not the slightest difference whatsoever’ (MMK XXV:20). Hence, liberation is not overcoming the bondage of saṃsāra and achieving freedom in nirvāṇa; such a view is a dualistic reification of both the path and the goal of Buddhist practice. Saṃsāra and nirvāṇa are not-two. Nirvāṇa is not a separate realm for the practitioner to aspire to; it is right here in the midst of saṃsāra. The conventional is the only means to the ultimate, moreover, properly understood, there is no difference between them. This is a pivotal non-dual insight that, as we shall see, is mobilized in Zen thought and practice.
    AND YET, this realization of samsara (this messy and sometimes beautiful and sometimes ugly world) as nirvana (a wholeness beyond all small human views and passions of beautiful and ugly, thus its own Big Beauty) ... CHANGES EVERYTHING!

So, we have fires burning within ... the fires of excess desire in lust by the eye, gluttony by the tongue, the fire of of anger in the heart ... and we seek in our practice to keep such fires small and constructive: A fire which is small is useful for cooking and heat, but if too large and unguided burns down the house! Desire for sex or eating keep us alive and the species going, but if in excess becomes addiction.

At the same time, the world is burning ... both literally in our forests, and with the anger and conflict, poverty and disease in society. Nagarjuna and the Zen masters teach us to burn along with it, accept the burning ...

... even as we grab a bucket of water to cool what we can ... and combat the troubles of society, the conflict, poverty and disease as we can ...

... even as we simultaneously cool our own hearts, and keep them balanced, while combating the fires in the world without.

That was the topic of this week's talk in Zazenkai that Kokuu mentions (about 56:30)

(Sorry for burning long with words)

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-13-2020 at 11:16 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Gassho,
    Washin
    stlah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I've not heard of this before Kokuu. Thank you.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Gassho2, meian st lh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post
    Ancient Chinese curse, “May you live in interesting n times.”
    Narrator: It's not Chinese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_yo...eresting_times

:-)

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    流文

I know nothing.

I first heard Picard say that quote; I always attributed it to him hahahaha

gassho

Risho
    -stlah

I stand corrected! Thank you lol, ha, lol
    Together in Treeleaf we create great treasures!
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Byrne is burning. I liked this Sutta. Felt relatable.

Gassho

Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Byrne View Post
    Byrne is burning. I liked this Sutta. Felt relatable.

Gassho

Sat Today
    Ha!

Gassho

Risho

All is good, let late birds sing in Japan, Evermore in Hartford, despite bad cold, life with flowers in SD is good.
    Gassho
    sat/ lah