Thread: Zazenkai as Well as my Zazen time I committed to

Zazenkai as Well as my Zazen time I committed to

So something I was thinking about today, for Ango I committed to sit 40-45 minutes a day, should I count Zazenkai towards that, or should I consider it as something extra once a week?

Evan
    Sat today, lah
    Just going through life one day at a time!

It is your Ango. You make the rules.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by gaurdianaq View Post
    So something I was thinking about today, for Ango I committed to sit 40-45 minutes a day, should I count Zazenkai towards that, or should I consider it as something extra once a week?

Evan
    Sat today, lah
    Ango is beyond time, Zazen is beyond time, all the world is beyond time, you are beyond time. You do the math!

Here is a "non-clock."

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Personally, I consider my Zazenkai day to be different to usual days of practice.

So, in your position, I would sit 40-45 minutes each day aside from the Zazenkai day and on that day just sit that.

But, as Tairin said, you make the rules.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Personally, I consider my Zazenkai day to be different to usual days of practice.

So, in your position, I would sit 40-45 minutes each day aside from the Zazenkai day and on that day just sit that.

But, as Tairin said, you make the rules.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Since in my case zazenkai is on Saturday early morning (3 to 4:30 am) I simply consider it my morning zazen. I will just sit in the afternoon/evening as usual.

SatToday lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

In a weird way, zazenkai day is my "day off" from practice. Even though I sit and practice much more than on other days, it uses different "mental muscles" than the one I use to make myself go sit by myself. I find that part of my brain needs appreciates the once weekly "break."
    Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshin View Post
    In a weird way, zazenkai day is my "day off" from practice. Even though I sit and practice much more than on other days, it uses different "mental muscles" than the one I use to make myself go sit by myself. I find that part of my brain needs appreciates the once weekly "break."
    Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

I think I have the opposite experience, Zazenkai is the one I really have to put in more effort to do... In fact I ended up dipping out very early last night (though part of that was probably due to being so tired and not giving myself enough time to rest before it).

gasso1
    Evan,
    Sat today

I think I have the opposite experience, Zazenkai is the one I really have to put in more effort to do... In fact I ended up dipping out very early last night (though part of that was probably due to being so tired and not giving myself enough time to rest before it).

gasso1
    Evan,
    Sat today
    It's not that zazenkai is easier, it just uses different muscles, for me anyway. I understand the early exit. Sleepy zazen is absolute torture for me.

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshin View Post
    It's not that zazenkai is easier, it just uses different muscles, for me anyway. I understand the early exit. Sleepy zazen is absolute torture for me.

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

In retrospect, I could have done what I did for the 4 hour zazenkai and just start doing Kinhin instead, less likely to fall asleep... I might eventually try following along with the recording on saturdays, but I have some hurdles to get past in regards to doing that. Namely that it doesn't "feel right" and that my mind is rejecting the idea of following along with a recording.

Evan,
    Sat today

In retrospect, I could have done what I did for the 4 hour zazenkai and just start doing Kinhin instead, less likely to fall asleep... I might eventually try following along with the recording on Saturdays, but I have some hurdles to get past in regards to doing that. Namely that it doesn't "feel right" and that my mind is rejecting the idea of following along with a recording.

Evan,
    Sat today
    Evan. You and I are in the same time zone (same city actually). For me Friday evening just isn’t convenient because it is traditionally family time and spending time with my family is a big part of my practice. I probably have sat live no more than 10 times in the 5 years I’ve been a member. I sit Saturday mornings with the recording and often forget that I am not sitting live. There truly is no difference. There is the same little squares on screen, same chanting and bowing, same bells, same dharma talk. I wave and gassho along with everyone else. I suppose the only thing that is missing is that I don’t hear Jundo speak my name but I know that Jundo and the rest of the Sangha knows I sit. Which is why I post to the forum afterwards.

Sorry for the extra sentences but I wanted to make my point clear.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    Last edited by Tairin; 09-12-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Evan

As folks have said it is your Ango. For me Zazenkai is part of my normal daily not so daily practice. Living in France a 3 am start is not convenient but also family commitments means a long sitting session is also impractical. So I have always sat Zazenkai "On Demand". The Weekly I will sit over Saturday and Sunday morning and the Monthly will take up my mornings sits on Monday and Tuesday as well. However, for my Ango commitment of sitting longer, I add an extra 15-20 minutes, sometimes 30 in the late evening and an extra 10 minutes to my 30 minute sit each morning (when possible). To factor that extra time in to my morning sit when I am playing Zazenkai catch up, I sit through the Kinhin sessions. I am comfortable with this approach, as it does mean a net gain of extra sitting time. Not sure if I could do it any other way given my circumstances but we all lead different lives.

Gassho

Sat/lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart