Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EXPRESSING CREATIVITY: clay, fiber, metal, ink, etc.

Kokuu, beadwork and fabric simply exquisite and glorious fine detail! Such stitches must consume hours of artisans work. Your hands and eyes capture ornate beauty!
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

What a wonderfully diverse and inspiring thread.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Nanin's wrist Mala, Kotei's boat project, Koku's Sashiko and Boro style sewing, Onka's friend's printed patches, Anne's collection of bowls and father's wonderful collection of ancient tools,
    Meitou's sharing of Shodo book (looking forward to seeing your calligraphy work) and Tai Shi's photography.
    I hope I have mentioned everybody.

I'm lagging behind because I still haven't mastered the sending of images - any help with this would be much appreciated. Ideally I'd like to be able to download straight from my Samsung mobile.

Gassho

Jinyo
    Last edited by Jinyo; 10-06-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Autumn is keeping me busy in the garden,
    but the canoe is getting some attention again, too.

The outside is sanded and ready for varnishing.
    I took it from it's form and turned it around for the first time.
    Working on the inside now. Still no small decks and gunwales (the inner and outer rim).
    The carrying yoke and seats (frames done) will later hang some cm from the gunwales.

canoe1.jpg canoe2.jpg canoe3.jpg

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 10-20-2020 at 02:53 PM.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Kotei,

That is truly a work of art. I'm so impressed.

Just curious, how thick are the sides? The photos make them appear thin and light (in a good way). Again, very impressive!

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Thank you ,

the sides should be around 1cm thick, maybe some mm more. When finished, it'll be a laminate of the cedar wood in the center and glass-fiber/resin on the in- and outside.
    The planned weight (depends on resin and varnish amount) is around 23 kg (50 lbs.).
    With the yoke in its center of gravity, it should be an acceptable weight on the shoulders.

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    Kotei,

That is truly a work of art. I'm so impressed.

Just curious, how thick are the sides? The photos make them appear thin and light (in a good way). Again, very impressive!

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Last edited by Kotei; 10-20-2020 at 05:14 PM.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Wow. That's amazing. I hope the laminate doesn't completely hide the lovely aromatics of the cedar. That is by far my favorite kind of tree/wood.

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Wow. That's amazing. I hope the laminate doesn't completely hide the lovely aromatics of the cedar. That is by far my favorite kind of tree/wood.
    Sadly, the Western red cedar will be completely sealed. The softwood just can't take the water and mechanical stress.
    I think I'll even completely seal the Ash (the white-ish wood), I am using for gunwales/seats/yoke etc. and also the few, small pieces of pre-used Mahogany for the decks, although oiling would be acceptable there.
    The paddles of local Cherry or/and Ash will just be oiled with Linseed oil, because I expect a better haptic experience with holding it in the hands the whole time. The wood for them is already sawn, but still has to dry for some months before crafting.
    The wonderful scent of the cedar seems to be just for the builder

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    Last edited by Kotei; 10-20-2020 at 06:02 PM.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotei View Post
    Sadly, the Western red cedar will be completely sealed. The softwood just can't take the water and mechanical stress.
    I think I'll even completely seal the Ash (the white-ish wood), I am using for gunwales/seats/yoke etc. and also the few, small pieces of pre-used Mahogany for the decks, although oiling would be acceptable there.
    The paddles of local Cherry or/and Ash will just be oiled with Linseed oil, because I expect a better haptic experience with holding it in the hands the whole time. The wood for them is already sawn, but still has to dry for some months before crafting.
    The wonderful scent of the cedar seems to be just for the builder

Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.
    'Haptic' was a new word to me Kotei, I love the connection that you've made here regarding the paddles and your hands. Another day of learning!
    Deep Bows
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Is cooking considered hand craft?
    Gassho
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Ania View Post
    Is cooking considered hand craft?
    Gassho
    Sat
    Why not? It's creative, and many people, my chef husband included, find their way to express love for others through cooking. Bring it on!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Kotei,
    No words! just gorgeous. Thanks for bringing us along on the journey. I can't wait to go for a ride with you when it's launched.
    and Ania, I consider cooking a fine art. So as Meitou says: Bring it on~

bows
    Anne

~lahst~

FB_IMG_1603315007160.jpg

Vegan version of Bengali thali, that includes around 11 types of different vegetables : dhal soup, fried bitter gourd, raw banana and potato cutlets, lal sag (red spinach), okra in white poppy seed and mustard paste, curry of cauliflower, potatoes and peas, dry curry of aubergine, pui sak (type of spinach) and potatoes, loochi (flaky, puffed roti) and basmati rice

I could imagine myself in tenzo role

Gassho
    Sat

FB_IMG_1603315007160.jpg

Vegan version of Bengali thali, that includes around 11 types of different vegetables : dhal soup, fried bitter gourd, raw banana and potato cutlets, lal sag (red spinach), okra in white poppy seed and mustard paste, curry of cauliflower, potatoes and peas, dry curry of aubergine, pui sak (type of spinach) and potatoes, loochi (flaky, puffed roti) and basmati rice

Gassho
    Sat
    Ania,

That looks amazing! What time is dinner?

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Ania,

That looks amazing! What time is dinner?

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Imagine if someone comes up with a technology or something where we can taste an image without actually eating it, something similar to Virtual Reality.

Imagine if someone comes up with a technology or something where we can taste an image without actually eating it, something similar to Virtual Reality.
    Huawei are actually preparing some devices that allow smells to be transmitted between users online. That is INSANE

SatToday
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

FB_IMG_1603315007160.jpg

Gassho
    Sat
    Wow - the presentation is beautiful - the taste must be lovely too !

Gassho

Jinyo

Sat Today

FB_IMG_1603315007160.jpg

Gassho
    Sat
    Oh that's just lovely Ania! I love the pop of the chilli pepper on the side of the plate. Of course you do realise that you may now have to open a recipe thread!
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Wow, Ania! Please can you be tenzo if we have a European retreat?

A recipe thread would be a great idea. If anyone doesn't know these two books from Tassajara, they are a great Zen resource for cooking:
    The Tassajara Bread Book (maybe the best £10 I ever spent!)
    The Complete Tassajara Cookbook

Also, Gesshin Greenwood has her own guide to Japanese monastery food:
    Just Enough: Vegan Recipes and Stories from Japan's Buddhist Temples

Apologies for running long in enthusiasm!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 10-29-2020 at 07:55 PM.

I also just wanted to share a finished facing of sashiko work for a cushion in a traditional 'hemp leaf' pattern on indigo fabric: https://postimg.cc/yJF6g7qZ

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    I also just wanted to share a finished facing of sashiko work for a cushion in a traditional 'hemp leaf' pattern on indigo fabric: https://postimg.cc/yJF6g7qZ

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-
    Oh my word! Amazing work Kokuu, you're an expert already, that's so beautiful.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Yes, Kokuu wonderful work. Stunning really. Thanks for sharing.
    And Ania that does make me long for an artfully arranged, prepared and served meal. Beautiful.

Kokuu when my father died (1984) I inherited his two Tassajara cookbooks. I am sure it made his head hurt to think they came from a Buddhist (!!!) community but he loved baking bread. The books are so worn and covered with flour and who knows what else, not from his use, but from mine. There must be more recent versions but I love these tattered books.

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~

IMG_20201031_201628_761_compress34.jpg

Wow!! So many beautiful crafts on here

Here is my contribution- my first ever piece of cross stitch.
    Very soothing and I can imagine doing lots more of this over the next few weeks as England goes into lockdown round 2.

Gassho,
    Dee
    Sat Today / Lah

Dee, I love that bee! But also, such a happy image, the colors, composition, your tattooed fingers and blue finger nails and thumb ring! The whole thing! Thank you.

Bows
    Anne

~st~

Thank you so much Anne!
    The design of the cross-stitch itself was from a pattern - John Lewis is doing adorable little cross stitch kits for £8. Great for learning.
    One day soon I will design my own patterns, my sister says it is easily done in excel - I have been wondering what I could stitch next that would be Treeleaf or zen related! Ideas welcome

Gassho,
    Dee
    Sat Today

Dee, if you look on Etsy, there are some Buddhist and Zen-related patterns such as this lotus flower which is available as a downloadable PDF file: https://www.etsy.com/hk-en/listing/7...stitch-pattern
    Or this Buddha: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/7557...dha-stitch-zen

One craft company I buy materials from has said that their order numbers have gone up massively this year because of people crafting through lockdown so you are not alone in finding solace in that!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Thank you for respected charities. Jundo and others are placing charities in an appropriate thread which I believe any member is welcomed to place their chosen charity. This is an appropriate place for charities!
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I realize much is purely informational and places to secure materials and designs! I hope such are affordable to our members. I myself had to think twice before buying Jundo’s book because of funds! Too many advertised “things!”
    Gassho
    sat / lah
    Tai Shi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for book recommendations! Kokuu and Sweetde hats off! What a dedication and beautiful work. I admire anyone who excels at stiching or any craft. I'm crying and inventing new poetic swear words over my rakusu attempt

Gassho
    Sat

Those patterns are beautiful- thank you Kokuu!! Plenty more lockdown crafting to come

Ania - sending you lots of good vibes for the Rakusu sewing!! I am there with you and have also had the joys of starting and then having to unpick my stitches and start over again - I think mistakes mean we are doing it right

Gassho,
    Dee
    ST/LAH

I'm crying and inventing new poetic swear words over my rakusu attempt
    Ania, I think you join a long line of rakusu sewers throughout history, myself included!

I am there with you and have also had the joys of starting and then having to unpick my stitches and start over again - I think mistakes mean we are doing it right
    Yes, all part of the joy of sewing! I think the experience is diminished if you don't have to basically pull the whole thing apart at one point or other!

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday-

Thank you for book recommendations! Kokuu and Sweetde hats off! What a dedication and beautiful work. I admire anyone who excels at stiching or any craft. I'm crying and inventing new poetic swear words over my rakusu attempt

Gassho
    Sat
    Ania, I surprised myself with the creativity of my swearing at times while sewing my rakusu.

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12