Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sept 4th-5th, 2020 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Commencing Jukai & Ango!

Sept 4th-5th, 2020 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Commencing Jukai & Ango!

Our Zazenkai is in Special Celebration and Welcome of the
    Commencement of our 2020 ANGO & JUKAI Season

Today's Talk will reflect on
    our "Dedication of Merit" Recital

(text below in this thread)

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=ssr
    OR at https://zoom.us/j/4834831244, password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
    https://treeleaf.podbean.com/e/septe...ng-jukai-ango/

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Shoka; 09-11-2020 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Added youtube link.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Todays talk will look closely and reflect on the "Dedication of Merit" (Eko 廻向, with the Kanji meaning "Go Around" and "Face Beyond") which we recite in our weekly Ceremonies ...

Buddha Nature pervades the whole universe, Reality, existing right here now:
    In reciting THE HEART OF THE PERFECTION OF GREAT WISDOM SUTRA (and THE IDENTITY OF RELATIVE AND ABSOLUTE) we dedicate our sincere efforts to:

•Shakyamuni Buddha Honored One; the Historical Buddha and Teacher …
    and to those ancestral teachers:
    Eihei Dogen Honored One
    Soji Keizan Honored One,

All successive Honored Ones up until

Zuigaku Rempo Honored One and
    Gudo Wafu Honored One

and to all other Honored Ones throughout history, Male and Female Honored Ones, whose names have been forgotten or left unsaid.
    We also dedicate these efforts to the Three Treasures,

Buddha, Dharma, Sangha,

To all Awakened Ones and Teachers in all places and times.

We especially seek tranquility & well being for all creatures now suffering or ill in health.
    May they be serene through all their ills.
    May their lives be at peace and Wisdom pervade the darkness of ignorance.

We dedicate our hopes and aspirations:
    To all victims of war and violence and natural events
    To the injured and to all families touched by these tragedies
    To the healing of hatred in all countries and among all peoples
    To the wisdom and compassion of our world leaders
    To the peace of the world and harmony of all beings.

Thus, let the harmful effects of words, thoughts and actions be dispelled
    and Compassion bloom in perpetual spring.
    May we all realize and live the Enlightened Way together:

EVERYONE CHANTS:

ø All Buddhas throughout space and time
    ø All Bodhisattvas-Mahasattvas
    ø Maha • Prajna • Paramita ••••••• (followed 3x PROSTRATIONS by EVERYONE) • • •
    I will also touch briefly on our annual theme, to commence this Ango and Jukai season ...

Ango: NOW & THEN ...

What is Ango in our day and time, for householders in the modern West? Is it Ango as the Buddha, Dogen and all the Ancestors Practiced?

The meaning of the Japanese word Ango [安居] (Skt : varsha or varshika; Pali: vassa ) is “tranquil dwelling”. The origin is the “rainy-season retreat” , the period when Buddhist monks in India stopped their travels and outdoor activities for the duration of the rainy season and gathered at some sheltered location to devote themselves to Practice, study and discipline. One practical reason was because the heavy rainfall made traveling and outdoor activities impractical. But it was also a time when the individual monks in Buddha’s time, spending most of the year scattered here and there in small groups or individually, could gather and unite as a community and Practice together. During the rainy season in India, monks traditionally dwelt in a cave or a monastery for three months—from the sixteenth day of the fourth month to the fifteenth day of the seventh month. During this period the monks learned the Buddha's teachings, engaged in meditation and other practices, and repented their harmful behavior and weaknesses. The tradition is said to have begun during the time of Shakyamuni, was brought to China, and in Japan the three-month retreat was first observed in 683. Now it comes to us.

In the time of Master Dogen, Ango was a period of intense Practice mostly (but not exclusively) for monks living in a monastery. In his early years, Dogen’s Teachings emphasized that Zazen and Enlightenment are open to all, monks or householders, male or female, everyone. Later in life however, Dogen found himself chased out of the cosmopolitan capital city by other religious groups, turning to live in a remote and isolated monastery in the snowy mountains of Japan. Although in other writings to his lay students, Dogen continued to emphasize how this Way is open to all, his writings like Shobogenzo were meant to be talks heard primarily by his monks, meant to encourage monks in their monastic life and “keep up morale”, and thus, quite naturally, centered on the importance of Practice in a monastic setting.

But does that mean that Ango is not for householders as well? How has the Practice of Ango evolved as Zen has come to the West, to modern times, and again become open to all, monks or householders, male or female, the physically able and the physically challenged, everyone without distinction?

Gassho, J

STLah
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-03-2020 at 12:49 AM.

Unfortunately I may not be able to make the beginning of zazenkai live. It will be 6pm here and I will just be getting home from work.

Would it be ok for me to quietly sneak in mid way through once the kids are to bed?

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyo View Post
    Unfortunately I may not be able to make the beginning of zazenkai live. It will be 6pm here and I will just be getting home from work.

Would it be ok for me to quietly sneak in mid way through once the kids are to bed?

Gassho,

Junkyo
    SAT

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
    Hi Junkyo,

You can "sneak in" midway (just remember to close the door behind you ), sit in bits over several days, sit backwards (we should do that sometime, in which we play the whole Zazenkai backwards and see what happens! ), bring your kids, sit in the nursery ... anything like that is fine at our place.

Gassho, J

STLah

I’ll be deep in some 6thC Christian cave monasteries on Friday and Saturday but will sit with you all on Monday. Sorry to miss you live.

Gassho,

Peter

SatT
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

I feel joy for this upcoming Ango and looking forward to first Zazenkai, which I won't make it live, since working both Friday and Saturday .
    I will join you all sometime in Sunday .

Gassho, eva
    sattoday

I will be there until I fall asleep. I need somebody to swat my shoulders.

Doshin
    St

I unfortunately won't be able to make the live as I'll be feeding the kids and getting them to bed, but I will view afterwards. I missed last season because my son was born two days before we began. I've never experienced a more profound exhaustion!

That said, I will be taking part this season to the best of my ability. My children are very demanding of my time and energy. As we have discussed, this is a crucial part of my practice as well!

Gassho,
    Victor
    ST

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

I'll be there live but offline.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Shoemaker View Post
    I’ll be deep in some 6thC Christian cave monasteries on Friday and Saturday but will sit with you all on Monday. Sorry to miss you live.

Gassho,

Peter

SatT
    Turns out THOSE monks are expecting me next weekend, so I’ll be here tomorrow morning.
    東西 - Tōsei - East West

Hi Jundo,

I'll be there live

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I would love to join live, as it is the best time for me to fit 4 hrs without any worldly disturbances. However I have never before sat through the night and I am a bit anxious that after all day at work and then looking after family, my body will give up at some point. Is it allowed to leave the live zazenkai during Kinhin and "finish up" the rest at some other time? Or would it be considered disrespectful?

Gassho
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Ania View Post
    I would love to join live, as it is the best time for me to fit 4 hrs without any worldly disturbances. However I have never before sat through the night and I am a bit anxious that after all day at work and then looking after family, my body will give up at some point. Is it allowed to leave the live zazenkai during Kinhin and "finish up" the rest at some other time? Or would it be considered disrespectful?

Gassho
    Sat
    You can leave early, late, break it into bits. However, no need to sit into the night! The "real time" recording can be sat at any time in any time zone!

See you there, if you dare!

Gassho, J

STLah

This month, we visit 'lousiana ... with Buckweat Zydeco and Bayou Boogie Hokey Pokey ...

Gassho nuff, you'all.

STLah

PS - I was darn close to going with the only know recording of American singing legend Tom Waits doing the Pokey ... but he changed the words quite a bit, and its pretty, well, you know ...

Last edited by Jundo; 09-04-2020 at 01:01 PM.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    I'll will be there not there On Demand as usual. Thank you Jundo.

sat/lah

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Feeling ill, but I'll be there one way or another, hopefully live.

Nanrin

Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Although I'm not officially taking part in Ango this year, I look forward to this lovely opening ceremony. I hope to sit a couple of hours one way this evening to leave space for our Ango participants. Blessings to everyone, especially those of you having this experience for the first time.
    Deep bows
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    This month, we visit 'lousiana ... with Buckweat Zydeco and Bayou Boogie Hokey Pokey ...

Gassho nuff, you'all.

STLah

PS - I was darn close to going with the only know recording of American singing legend Tom Waits doing the Pokey ... but he changed the words quite a bit, and its pretty, well, you know ...

Suggestions box :
    So fabulous.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

I will have to sit this Zazenkai later, with the recording, since I am moving this weekend. I look forward to still sitting with you all and starting my first Ango.

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat Today

Quote Originally Posted by Meitou View Post
    Suggestions box :
    So fabulous.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    Hokey - Pokey? Does it mean there will be a children party (in the bodies of adults) in the middle of Zazenkai?

Gassho
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Ania View Post
    Hokey - Pokey? Does it mean there will be a children party (in the bodies of adults) in the middle of Zazenkai?

Gassho
    Sat
    Exactly. A dance of big children!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Exactly. A dance of big children!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    I have to come clean here... I only come to the monthly Zazenkai for the Hokey Pokey, but I end up staying for everything else too, because why not?

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Hi all,

As it is the 4 hour zazenkai I will have to sit it over therest of the weekend I'm afraid. It's a little late in the UK for 4 hours. However I'm looking forward to Ango and Jukai.

Gassho,

Neilio

SAT/LAH

Great!
    I have full intention to participate live two-way today!
    Hope family business will allow that!

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    ST&LAH.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    See you all soon. Lets go Ango!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

So grateful to be settling in to Ango. I will be doing tonight's Zazenkai in chunks over the next few days as I can.

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

I shall sit with the YouTube stream so as not to disturb anyone when I inevitably fall asleep.
    For those in and around the GMT timezone, is there a specific time anyone tends to do the Zazenkai in the following days? If so, it would be nice to join you and follow the recorded session, but knowing that I am doing so alongside others here.

Gassho,
    Phill
    sat

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I shall sit with the YouTube stream so as not to disturb anyone when I inevitably fall asleep.
    For those in and around the GMT timezone, is there a specific time anyone tends to do the Zazenkai in the following days? If so, it would be nice to join you and follow the recorded session, but knowing that I am doing so alongside others here.

Gassho,
    Phill
    sat
    You can also come into the live room, just with camera and mike off. And no need to sit in the middle of the night!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

You can also come into the live room, just with camera and mike off. And no need to sit in the middle of the night!
    That is what I will be doing, as I will have to be moving into a different room to sit, and may be interrupted several times, but I still want to "be there".

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Joining you all.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    SAT

I will participate in the recorded version. My son is home with me this weekend. Somehow I will try to fit it in but not sure if I can do the full 4 hours.

Gassho,
    Ekai

SAT

Doshin
    Satwithyou

Lovely zazenkai. Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone. Let's all dance ango.

Gassho
    Sat today, lah
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika

Nine bows to Maha Silverberg, CPA

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone! Seeing you all just filled me with joy.

SatToday lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

I'm impressed I made it through the whole thing, but I'm glad I came.

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Just going through life one day at a time!

Wonderful! Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and friends everywhere/time for sharing this first zazenkai of Ango.

Gassho, Chris satlah

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone for a lovely zazenkai and talk. My mother and even our cat joined for the Hokey-Pokey!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Wonderful start to ango everyone!

Gassho,
    Nick
    SatLah

Thanks and deep bows to all. So glad to be there with you. 3am is brutal though here, since most folks are singing their way to bed!

Gassho,

P

sattoday
    東西 - Tōsei - East West

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, Kyononin and everyone.

I am very pleased to see so many new faces this year and I am veyr much looking forward to this year's Ango.

Very fortunate to learn and grow with all of you!

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday

Pleasure to join with all of you and start ango.

Gassho

Nanrin

Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Simply beautiful! Thank you all...and Jundo...special thanks for the good-inspiring talk! As always!
    Let's go Ango!!!

Gassho.
    Hokin.
    ST&LAH.

Quote Originally Posted by gaurdianaq View Post
    I'm impressed I made it through the whole thing, but I'm glad I came.

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    It was great seeing you! Really great!!
    SatToday lah
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Quote Originally Posted by Nanrin View Post
    Pleasure to join with all of you and start ango.

Gassho

Nanrin

Sat today
    Seeing you is always a joy my friend

SatToday lah
    Bion

Thanks everyone for sitting.

My cat decided to join in, he was just out of frame, mindfully lying on my "zabuton" (a folded yoga mat) and mindfully grooming himself for most of the zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Kenny
    Sat Today

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onkai View Post
    Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone for a lovely zazenkai and talk. My mother and even our cat joined for the Hokey-Pokey!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    Thanks to you, your mom and the cat for a fantastic dance!!

SatToday lah
    Bion

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Shoemaker View Post
    Thanks and deep bows to all. So glad to be there with you. 3am is brutal though here, since most folks are singing their way to bed!

Gassho,

P

sattoday
    That's some impressive dedication

Evan,
    Sat today, lah
    Just going through life one day at a time!

Deep thanks to Jundo, Sekishi, and all.

Gassho

shonin sat and lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast