Thread: Back in Print: My Christian Journey with Zen

Back in Print: My Christian Journey with Zen

Dear All, and especially for our members who walk the Christian and Zen path together ...

My Dharma Brother, Gustav Ericsson's, book is back in print:

In this spiritual memoir chronicling the journey of a man who became both an ordained Zen meditation teacher and an ordained priest in the Lutheran Church of Sweden, Gustav Ericsson shares reflections and glimpses into the story of how he learned to stop and sit down, be still and listen.

Artfully crafted around a travel journal from a deeply reflective trip to Japan, My Christian Journey with Zen is an expression of the author’s spiritual path, focusing on how his meditation practice has grown in both his life and in his service as a parish priest and hospital chaplain.

Gustav Ericcson is a Dharma successor of our Gudo Wafu Nishijima Roshi (Jundo's Teacher) and, since 2010, also a Lutheran Priest with the Church of Sweden, which is the largest Christian church organization in Sweden and largest Lutheran church in the world. In 2009 he founded Anzenkai, which is an interreligious network of friends based on daily shikantaza zazen. He is also a former prison guard before becoming a Lutheran priest. Obviously, Gustav is very interested in the intersection of Buddhist and Christian Teachings. You can read an interview with Gustav HERE.
    It is on Amazon only:

https://www.amazon.com/Christian-Jou...9170816&sr=8-1

My review there:

Lovely Perspectives

I am so glad to see this back in print. Although I am not a Christian, and only a Zen fellow of rather skeptical nature, this book helped me sweep away all such concerns to find the common road beyond this or that. A marvelous, moving story and beautiful perspectives. I am recommending the book, not only to all those who walk the "not one, not two" paths of Zen and Christianity, but to those who doubt or are merely curious as to how that may be done. So many people who have come to Zen and Buddhism later in life have done so, in part, due to some less than fulfilling memories of their encounter with the religion of their childhood. This book teaches that it need no be so for all, and many can find common ground if their heart is wide enough to look beyond differences in words and symbols. Zen accepts "just what is," and that "just what is" can include another religious belief when we drop inner barriers. Thank you for this lesson, Gustav. Such a lovely and good man, such a lovely and good book. Peace, Jundo
    Gustav was a guest teacher at Treeleaf Tsukuba a few years ago, and you can still sit with us ...

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH

(sorry, needed some length)
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-03-2020 at 10:07 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I've just bought this and I'm looking forward to reading it. It's of particular interest as I've drawn closer to the Church in recent months.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Thank you, Jundo. My mother and I are both looking forward to reading this book.
    Gassho,
    Onkai
    sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you, I'm not a Christian but I have bought this and will have a read.

Gassho

Heiso
    StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I do not have time for this book right now. I'm reading Recovery Dharma, Loving-Kindness, and The Search for Self--for Ango vows 2020/ 2021, and if possible some of The Heart of Haiku. I'm trying to press myself into reading more because I've lost so much reading ability over the last 10 years to 15 years, and I used to read many books in a year. I am vowing to read My Christian Journey (Kindle $5.95) with Zen, a book directly dealing with my Zen practice, a book I desperatly need, in spring 2021.
    Gassho / lah
    sat
    Tai Shi
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 09-03-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

In Amazon in the US it is listed at $864.56. I don't think I have seen a book price that high before!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    空道 心志 Kudo Shinshi
    I am just a priest-in-training, any resemblance between what I post and actual teachings is purely coincidental.
    E84I - JAJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post
    In Amazon in the US it is listed at $864.56. I don't think I have seen a book price that high before!

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    This link should show the paperback version available for $11.95, with a five day wait: https://smile.amazon.com/Christian-J...a-6185fb77bc58 There is also a Kindle version for $5.95 at this link: https://smile.amazon.com/Christian-J...qid=1599166332
    I'm in the U.S. so I hope this helps.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/LAH
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

Thank you for sharing, Jundo. This is intriguing to me and I will see if I may purchase it. It could offer some important perspective for me.

Gassho,
    V
    ST

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "Heaven is right where you are standing, and that is the place to train"-Ueshiba Morihei

Quote Originally Posted by Shinshi View Post

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH
    Hah. You are looking at the old, out-of-print edition ... or maybe the one where Gustav flies to your home and reads it to your personally .

Here is the correct link for the new edition ...

https://www.amazon.com/Christian-Jou...9170816&sr=8-1

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Oh I remember Gustav, a wonderful man and ready to admit being wrong (difficult to admit he'd done right though he was never really satisfied like l).

SatToday
    LaH
    Gassho.
    Nothing to do? Why not Sit?

The Japanese version might be very expensive, but I ordered, and received English version, $5.95. Sorry if this contradicts understandings. Thank you.
    Gassho
    sat / lah
    Tai Shi

Correction, the Kindle version $.00
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Gassho

Thank you again, Jundo, I loved this book.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way

I'm not a Christian but read a couple of pages of this lovely book before bed each night and got a lot out of it. Thanks for recommending it.

Gassho
    Heiso
    StLah

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk