Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Floating Tea House

Hello!

Floating Tea House will meet this Sunday, FEBRUARY 7, 2021, at 12pm EST.

You can find your local time zone for Floating Tea House at the Calendar link as follows: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/#calendar

Feel free to bring a soft beverage of your choice, and/or any light snacks.

We look forward to seeing "old regulars" and "new newcomers" join us in the Tea House.

Floating Tea House Leafers
    迷安 - Mei An - Wandering At Rest

Just a suggestion, you may want to bring a stronger drink, say wine for instance. If you do, put it in a coffee cup and blow on it once in a while so others will think you are cooling your hot drink.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Just a suggestion, you may want to bring a stronger drink, say wine for instance. If you do, put it in a coffee cup and blow on it once in a while so others will think you are cooling your hot drink.

gassho, Shokai
    stlah

Note to self: Next time Shokai joins us for Tea House, keep a close eye on his beverage...

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Not sure where the best place for this is, but as discussed during the Tea House today, the BBC documentary which covered a bit about whether Jesus could have been a Buddhist Monk (the relevant part starts around 40 minutes in):

And also for those interested in comparative religion, with respect to Christianity:

Edit: These are posted as part of a conversation which touched on comparative religion, rather than being presented here as authoritative or factually accurate. Please see Jundo's post below, which points out a couple of the issues.

Gassho
    Phill /Sōka
    sat
    Last edited by Soka; 02-09-2021 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Disclaimer.

Note to self: Next time Shokai joins us for Tea House, keep a close eye on his beverage...

gassho, Shokai

stlah
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    May we all grow together in our knowledge of the Dharma

Thank you for posting, Soka -- and thank you to everyone for attending today. What a fascinating and varied discussion!

Some new faces also (at least for me 8) )

Hope to see everyone (and more!) again next time! Animals (and birds!) always welcome with their human companions

gassho, meian st lh

It was nice to meet y'all had a good time chatting with you guys about things related to Buddhism. Very stimulating conversation

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

It was wonderful seeing everyone again, always love our free flowing discussions at the tea/tree house

Until next time,
    Gassho,
    Koushi
    ST
    広 Kou (Vast)
    髭 Shi (Beard)

Quote Originally Posted by GrasshopperMan17 View Post
    It was nice to meet y'all had a good time chatting with you guys about things related to Buddhism. Very stimulating conversation

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH
    Great getting to chat with you John! Hope work on the deck is going well!

SatToday lah
    Bion
    美音

-------------------------
    Join me on Insight Timer
    Help me feed those in need by joining my Share The Meal team HERE

I need to step in for a second. That BBC "documentary" seems to cite incredibly suspect sources without any mention that they are suspect.

For example:

The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ by Nicolas Notovitch

Widely believed to be a fake. Whether it is or not is open for debate, perhaps, but the "documentary" simply fails to mention that the vast majority of scholars do not take it seriously. At best, certain Manichaean Christians did travel up and down the Silk Road, and it is possible that some Christian stories ended up translated into Tibetan, but this would still have happened centuries AFTER the death of Jesus.

The Kuki People of India as the "Lost Tribe"

The story about the Kuki is kooky! At best, they seem to have become "Jewish" in very recent decades when they realized that there was a good market for it and tourism. Likewise for the "Lost Tribe" in Kashmir, who needed something more to sell than sweaters.

There is actually something like this in Japan, and one Japanese family friend is so far down the rabbit hole that he bombards me whenever I see him with the question about whether the Japanese are the "Lost tribe." Evidence is ridiculously suspect, such as his claim that the Arc of the Covenant (aka Raiders of the Lost Arc) ...

... is the source of the Japanese Shinto "Mikoshi" ...

The answer: No, no it is not.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo. I dont remember the subject of jesus being a buddhist monk come up in todays discussion, and i dont really buy in to the idea, although i did posit that Jesus may have had contact with, if not studied under, the Essene commune in his youth, which supposedly partially consisted of jewish scholars who studied Buddhism as well as Buddhist Jews, which may have contributed to the extremely similar teachings and parables of Jesus and the Buddha.

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH
    Last edited by GrasshopperMan17; 02-08-2021 at 02:23 AM.

By the way, i remembered the word i was looking for during this mornings talk, although the meaning was slightly different to what i understood it to be. The word was samadhi.

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

Thank you Tea House buddies. Great to be with you all for another free-ranging discussion from Buddhism to vegetarian hair loss

Until next time...

Gassho, Yokai (Chris) sat/lah

Quote Originally Posted by Yokai View Post
    Thank you Tea House buddies. Great to be with you all for another free-ranging discussion from Buddhism to vegetarian hair loss

Until next time...

It's a thing! https://veganhealth.org/hair-loss/

It's OK though, I don't mind the bald look, I have a decently shaped head for it. HHDL has the same hairline

Gassho,
    Koushi
    ST
    広 Kou (Vast)
    髭 Shi (Beard)

Howdy!

Floating Tea House will meet this Sunday, FEBRUARY 21, 2021, at 12pm EST.

You can find your local time zone for Floating Tea House at the Calendar link as follows: https://www.treeleaf.org/now/#calendar

Feel free to bring a ...... beverage of your choice, and/or any light snacks.

We look forward to seeing "old regulars" and "new newcomers" join us in the Tea House.

Last edited by Meian; 02-19-2021 at 02:50 AM. Reason: emojis not appearing correctly

Thanks Meian

Yay! Count me in. Mmm...is 6am too early for an in vogue London Fog?

I'll be there!

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Looking forward to hanging with you all again. I should be there

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday
    Personal Blog: ZazenLibrarian.com

"We can prove to ourselves that perception is artificial and personal by remembering how often people disagree about the beauty or ugliness, deliciousness or distastefulness, pleasantness or unpleasantness, of a particular work of art, architectural style, item of clothing, type of food, or musical composition."

"Moreover, opinions often vary over time and space, from decade to decade, from country to country, and from earlier points in our life to later ones. For instance, we might have disliked classical music when we were younger, but now it is our favorite. Our perceptions also change according to circumstances. Yellow roses might look very beautiful when we see them in a summer garden, but seem unpleasant or even cause us pain when we see them at the funeral of a friend. In the same way, when we are ill, foods that we enjoyed on many occasions might seem disgusting or repulsive."

~ Bhante Gunaratana, "Meditation on Perception: Ten Healing Practices to Cultivate Mindfulness"

Gassho,
    Koushi
    ST
    広 Kou (Vast)
    髭 Shi (Beard)

Thanks everyone for a very interesting tea house. It's a pleasure to be with you all.

Nice quote Koushi

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah

Today's Teahouse was awesome -- total nerd playground Great to see you all there. I have more exploring to do after today's discussions.

Gassho, meian st lh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It was great to see everyone again. Now I want to watch the film Dark Water again . See you all around Treeleaf!

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It was great to see everyone again. Now I want to watch the film Dark Water again . See you all around Treeleaf!

Gassho,

Shade

ST
    But the Japanese version, right?!

SatToday lah
    Bion
    美音

Join me on Insight Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    But the Japanese version, right?!

SatToday lah
    Absolutely! I won't go near the American version...

Gassho,

Shade

ST

i missed you all today! i am currently dealing with a bad ear infection and needed some extra sleep this morning. hope to catch y'all next time!

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

Metta to you John. Hope you mend quickly.

See you next time

Ahoy All! =)

Floating Tea House will meet this Sunday, MARCH 7, 2021, at 12pm EST.

Feel free to bring ..... beverage / snack / animal / small child(ren) / friendly humans of your choice.

We look forward to seeing "old Leafers" and "new Leafers" join us in the Tea House.

Topics? Your guess is as good as ours!

Thank you all for another wonderful and engaging discussion today. I think it was Heraclitus who said, "One can never have the same tea house discussion twice."

Each time we meet is a truly unique experience. I'm very grateful for this community that we have.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

Apologies folks...I was soooooooo tired! Had to get some zzzzzzzs

Sure you had fun anywho. Next time...

Gassho, Yokai sat/lah

It was great to see everyone again today! Apologies for not saying much, but, as Kodo Sawaki Roshi said; "Dogen Zenji’s is a religion of practice. Dogen goes so far as to say there is no benefit in recitation with the mouth. In the Bendowa, Dogen wrote: “Continuously uttering sounds is like a frog crying in the night in a spring rice paddy and is ultimately worthless.”"

So this was a day I didn't make many sounds (but I would go so far as to say crying frogs make beautiful sounds and isn't worthless at all )

Gassho,
    Koushi,
    ST/LaH
    広 Kou (Vast)
    髭 Shi (Beard)

Had a good time talking with y'all! The deck is really close to being done, and when it is I'll be able to stay longer

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

I always look forward to these. We missed you, Yokai!

I was super low on sleep, so apologies if I was out of it (and for leaving abruptly, hope that wasn't rude!).

Thank you all for sharing

Gassho,
    Ryan
    Sat Today

Yeah, we missed you Yokai! Hope you got some good rest. See you next time hopefully!

Gassho, John
    Sat/Lent

Hello Everyone --

I apologize for the short notice --

Floating Tea House will meet this Sunday, MARCH 21, 2021, at 12pm EST.

We look forward to seeing "old Leafers" and "new Leafers" join us in the Tea House.

Topics? Bring a few!

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    Hello Everyone --

I apologize for the short notice --

Floating Tea House will meet this Sunday, MARCH 21, 2021, at 12pm EST.

Topics? Bring a few!

Thank you for the reminder, Meian! I plan to pop by for a bit.

Gassho,

Ryan
    Sat+LAH

Was wonderful seeing and chatting with everyone again! Always leave with a lot to think about

See you all around,
    Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    広 Kou (Vast)
    髭 Shi (Beard)

Great tea house today everyone! As usual, we touched on so many varied topics that there was never a dull moment.

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

had a good time chatting with you guys! i made tea today using the advice i was given (i forgot by whom), and it was much less bitter! thank you!

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH

Quote Originally Posted by GrasshopperMan17 View Post
    had a good time chatting with you guys! i made tea today using the advice i was given (i forgot by whom), and it was much less bitter! thank you!

Gassho, John
    ST/LAH
    Happy you made better tea Next one will be even better ..

SatToday
    Bion
    美音

Join me on Insight Timer

It was great to see everyone again! Good conversations and we went on a nature hike. I hope you all are doing well.

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Hello Leafers "old" and "new" --

Floating Tea House will meet this Sunday, APRIL 4, 2021, at 12pm EST.

(Anyone who has not had or does not have Daylight Savings Time -- please check the calendar!)

Side note -- BYOB = "Bring Your Own Beverage!!" =)
    Last edited by Meian; 04-02-2021 at 01:06 PM. Reason: formatting

See you guys there!

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Hoping to make it! Not sure what my day is going to be like tomorrow just yet. As always, thank you for the reminder Meian!

Gassho,

Ryan
    SatToday

Thank you all who joined us earlier today. It was a particularly "energetic" discussion at times, which was quite enjoyable!

For anyone wondering what goes on at these crazy gatherings, today we spent quite a bit of time discussing music (loosely centered on the form/formlessness of Grateful Dead improvisational jams), COVID/vaccine-related topics (how can we not these days?), and the benefits and joys of dwelling in the mountains. I'm forgetting some topics for sure, but these represent what I remember from when my zoom connection wasn't freezing up.

Special thanks to Kirk (Ryumon) for postponing his dinner a bit in order to join us today.

Hope to see you all (and others) at the next Floating Tea House in two weeks!

Gassho,
    Seikan

-stlah-

It was great seeing everyone today — and especially Ryumon for going hungry a bit to chat! Apologies for the post-vaccine breathlessness and angry faces (it wasn't the Grateful Dead talk, I swear!) .

See everyone around again soon!

Gassho,
    Koushi
    STLaH
    広 Kou (Vast)
    髭 Shi (Beard)

It was great to meet a bunch of Treeleafers on the other side of the pond. And we had a group where 28% of those attending were wearing Grateful Dead t-shirts.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    -----

流文

I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumon View Post
    It was great to meet a bunch of Treeleafers on the other side of the pond. And we had a group where 28% of those attending were wearing Grateful Dead t-shirts.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    The exact percentage just kills me!

SatToday lah
    Bion
    美音

Join me on Insight Timer

I love that our Buddhist Sangha social time temporarily turned into proselytizing for the Grateful Dead, and not Buddhism...

I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Gassho,

Shade

ST

Quote Originally Posted by Bion View Post
    The exact percentage just kills me!

SatToday lah
    If I could have made it I would have worn mine as well

Gassho,

Hoseki
    Sattoday

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    If I could have made it I would have worn mine as well
    That would have made 37.5%. We should try next time...

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat
    -----

流文

I know nothing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast