Thread: August 28th-29th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai: A Silent Chanting

August 28th-29th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai: A Silent Chanting

Dear All, our chanting and sitting today will be without words, in silence save for the sound of the bells and wooden drum. The heart of the Heart Sutra is beyond words or no words, and so a silent chanting holds all the meaning of our own hearts. (It is a chance too for us to express gratitude for the bells and drums, as they say all that needs to be said.) There will be a little Dharma Talk offered too during second Zazen, equally without words. No words will be spoken today, throughout, and I hope that you will join us in the great shout of silence!

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Sekishi; 08-29-2020 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Added youtube embed.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

PS - We will return to speaking, however, for the little "tea time" which follows Zazen!
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-28-2020 at 12:31 AM.

I’ll be there (in silence)

gassho, Jonathon

SATodayLAH

Gassho, Chris satLAH
    Last edited by Yokai; 08-28-2020 at 05:29 AM.

See you all later, hopefully!

SatToday lah
    Bion
    -------------------------
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Hi all,

Working late tonight, but since I'm at my desk it is easy to do the techno-ino thing.

Deep bows to all who sit the Zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Here one-way today!

Gassho,
    Mui
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Really interesting Zazenkai.

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend !

Gassho,

Ippo

SatToday

I will remember this Dharma Talk 'til the end of my life and I am sure to quote - and misquote - it often.

Gassho,
    Mui,
    Sat/LAH
    無依 Mui
    "Relies on Nothing"

Thank you Jundo, Jakuden and all.

Gassho, Chris satLAH

Thank you, everyone. Have a great weekend!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

It was lovely seeing all of you today! Thank you for practicing with me and thank you Jundo for the lessons I’ve learned today!

SatToday
    Bion
    When you put Buddha’s activity into practice, only then are you a buddha. When you act like a fool, then you’re a fool. - Sawaki Roshi

Funny thing, I had the microphone switched off first half. Didn't notice until everyone didn't get up for Kinhin!

Other funny thing, turns out I am seriously hearing impaired now right in the range of the small bell. Had to guess half the time if it rang or not!

Gassho, J

STLah

Thank you everyone! I'm amazed at what a difference tonight's silent practice made, as it maintained the usual structure, yet it somehow felt more focused. And what a surprisingly effective Dharma talk--thank you Jundo!

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-

Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    Thank you everyone! I'm amazed at what a difference tonight's silent practice made, as it maintained the usual structure, yet it somehow felt more focused. And what a surprisingly effective Dharma talk--thank you Jundo!

Gassho,
    Rob

-stlah-
    I know, right? The only moment I went into a bit of a “panic” was when we sat for zazen and Jundo didn’t ring the bell to begin. Instantly my mind went to: “ok, if he doesn’t ring it at the end I’ll be seated here for ever

SatToday
    Bion

Quote Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
    I know, right? The only moment I went into a bit of a “panic” was when we sat for zazen and Jundo didn’t ring the bell to begin. Instantly my mind went to: “ok, if he doesn’t ring it at the end I’ll be seated here for ever

SatToday
    Ha! I had a similar thought come to mind.

Very impactful Zazenkai and "talk". Thank you Jundo, Jakuden and everyone.

Gassho

Ryan
    Sat Today
    墨眼 | Bokugan | Sumi Ink Eye
    Ryan-S | zazenlibrarian.com

Hahaha I was hoping to not be the only one! As soon as I heard him turn on the mic I thought: “I’m good! “

SatToday lah
    Bion

Thank you Jundo, thank you Sangha.
    I add myself to the list of "panicked" ones!

Gassho,
    Mags
    ST LAH

Quote Originally Posted by Margherita View Post
    Thank you Jundo, thank you Sangha.
    I add myself to the list of "panicked" ones!

Gassho,
    Mags
    ST LAH
    That is hilarious!!!!!!!

SatToday lah
    Bion

Haha I worried a little too about when to Kinhin. You can probably see me furtively side-eyeing the screen during Zazen. Thank you everyone

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Haha I worried a little too about when to Kinhin. You can probably see me furtively side-eyeing the screen during Zazen. Thank you everyone

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hahahaha! Look at the recording: I DID NOT MOVE A MUSCLE during the first sitting! I figured someone would eventually yell at me to get up but I wasn’t about to be the one doing a whole 180 during zazen . All of you are AMAZING

SatToday lah
    Bion

Quote Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
    Hahahaha! Look at the recording: I DID NOT MOVE A MUSCLE during the first sitting! I figured someone would eventually yell at me to get up but I wasn’t about to be the one doing a whole 180 during zazen . All of you are AMAZING

SatToday lah

That was a lovely way to begin my day. Thank you to Jundo, Jakuden, and all for sitting.
    Gassho,
    Krista
    st

泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Science Abbot View Post
    I will remember this Dharma Talk 'til the end of my life and I am sure to quote - and misquote - it often.

Gassho,
    Mui,
    Sat/LAH

Gassho,
    Krista
    st

Sat the zazenkai on demand. Truly lovely everyone.

Thank you for your practice.

Gassho,
    Nick
    Sat

"..."
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

August 28th-29th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai: A Silent Chanting

What a zazenkai! So much good zen going on, my laptop overheated and shut down at about an hour twelve. Thanks, all, for your practice and community.

Gassho,

Peter

Satlah
    Last edited by Tosei; 08-30-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    東西 - Tōsei - East West
    there is only what is, and it is all miraculous

Going to sit this now.
    Gassho
    Matt

I must admit I was rather skeptical about this but it was beautiful! I am tempted to suggest doing Zazenkai like that every week!

Beautiful silence.

Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Gassho,
    Nengei
    Sat today. LAH.

Found time to sit with the recording today.
    Thank you all for sitting with me.

Gassho
    Chelsea
    SAT/LaH

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk