Thread: 2020 Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) and Ango (90 Day Abiding) Announcements Posted!

2020 Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) and Ango (90 Day Abiding) Announcements Posted!

Dear All,

Preliminary announcements of our 2020 Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) preparations and Ango (90 Day Peaceful Abiding) practice period have been posted. Please look here for those announcements and explanation of the details.

ANGO, JUKAI, PRECEPTS STUDY & SEWING FORUM
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...Y-SEWING-FORUM

If you would, and would consider to join in one or both, please write in each of those threads to let us know your commitment. Both will officially commence in early September, so you have time to consider your participation yet.

I hope that many folks will consider to participate this year.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Last edited by Jundo; 08-09-2020 at 02:40 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I am just reposting the full Jukai and Ango Announcements here in the public area of the Forum:

-----------------------

ANNOUNCEMENT: It's JUKAI TIME .... 2020!

Kanji "Kai" meaning "Precept"

(A LONG POST) ...

THE TIME FOR TREELEAF SANGHA’S THIRTEENTH “JUKAI” HAS ARRIVED!

Before we discuss what "Jukai" is in detail, here is a little information on generally what it entails and who may join in:

Each week, we will study together, and reflect upon, various short readings about the Precepts from a variety of Zen and other Buddhist teachers, all available online. (No book purchase will be required this year.) All the readings are beautiful examinations of the Precepts and Buddhist ethics.

If this is your first Jukai at Treeleaf, you will be asked to sew a 'Rakusu,' a small Buddhist robe. Sewing is a beautiful practice of careful work in the moment. For those who are not experienced sewers, fear not, as ample guidance, companionship and support will be provided in our Jukai "Sewing Circle," and assistance is available to those with health restrictions and need. (details below).

Our Jukai preparations, including the readings and sewing, are intended for those who feel called to undertake the Precepts at our Ceremony in January. However, even our Treeleaf members not participating in the Jukai this time are more than welcome to join in the readings and discussions, including both people who have never undertaken Jukai and those who have before. (Although we will use many of the same readings as in prior years, our members who have previously undertaken Jukai at Treeleaf are warmly invited to examine them again with us, as there are always fresh discoveries to make and lessons to be renewed.)

In fact, can folks who have already undertaken Jukai undertake Jukai again! YES! (And in such case, if you already have sewn a Rakusu with us in a prior year, you will not need to sew one this time (unless you wish to, of course, for it is always lovely to sew again.)

Once again, we will have our 2-day netcast "Rohatsu Retreat", tentatively scheduled this year for the weekend of December 5th and 6th. We ask you to join with us in sitting the Retreat if you are healthy and otherwise able.

As well, please note that we will again combine this year's Jukai we our concentrated 90 DAY "ANGO" SPECIAL PRACTICE PERIOD (LINK TO ANGO ANNOUNCEMENT). We ask all Jukai participants to also join in our Ango activities this year to the best of their abilities, if healthy and otherwise able.

Actual study and sewing for the Jukai will begin from September 4th (September 5th in some time zones), with our Monthly 4-Hour netcast Zazenkai at that time ... so please reflect on the following until then, and consider if you wish to walk this path ...

If you have any questions about Jukai, feel free to post here or contact me by message. Please note that, if someone has a health or other circumstance which makes some aspect or activity of Jukai or Ango a hardship, please let me know and we will work out a different way.

The below is a little description of Jukai, and some quotes from various Zen teachers on its significance, so that you can decide if undertaking the Precepts calls to you.

Gassho, Jundo
    STLah
    --------------------

JUKAI:

I have heard many whispers and comments from folks these past weeks and months on just what “Jukai” means. So, I thought I would explain my (Jundo’s) personal view of “Jukai” at Treeleaf Sangha. As well, over the weeks of our preparation, I will present many writings and talks by other Buddhist teachers expressing how each views the meaning of “Jukai” and all which accompanies that, for a single truth can be expressed in many ways and seen through many eyes.

However, ultimately, the real significance of “Jukai” will be that which each recipient finds for herself, something I am sure will develop and change as we go through the process. For that reason, some folks may wish to join in our preparatory studies and work (such as Precepts Study and Rakusu sewing), but only decide later if they wish the ceremony.

That is fine.

In fact, I hope that even those folks who decide not to pursue Jukai this time still will join in our Precepts Study classes nonetheless, as the Precepts are as vital to our Practice as Zazen. They are central to our Practice. In fact, as Master Dogen taught in the chapter of Shobogenzo entitled “Jukai,” the Precepts are Zazen. He said …

Unless we accept the Precepts, we are not yet a disciple of the Buddhas, nor are we an offspring of our Ancestral Masters, because they have considered one’s departing from error and resisting wrong to be synonymous with practicing Zazen and inquiring of the Way. The words, “They have made the Precepts foremost” are already what the Treasure House of the Eye of the True Teaching is.

So, what is the meaning of “Jukai”?

Let me offer several descriptions …

According to the “Buddhist Dictionary”, Jukai literally means “to receive” or “to undertake the Precepts”. It is the ceremony both of one’s formally committing to the Buddhist Sangha and to the Practice of Zen Buddhism, and of one’s undertaking the “Sixteen Mahayana Bodhisattva Precepts” as guidelines for life. Traditionally for Jukai, one receives from a teacher the “Rakusu”, which represents the robe of the Buddha, the “Kechimyaku”, a written lineage chart connecting the recipient to the Buddhas and Ancestors of the past, and a “Dharma Name” selected by the teacher and representing qualities or aspirations for the recipient’s personality and practice (unless one already has a Dharma Name from a previous Jukai that one wishes to keep).

My teacher, Gudo Wafu Nishijima Roshi, has written that one may receive Jukai at any time, including at the very start of one’s Buddhist Path …

When a Buddhist seeks to commence upon the study of Buddhism, there is first a ceremony which should be undertaken: It is called ‘Jukai,’ the "Receipt of the Precepts”, the ceremony in which one receives and undertakes the Precepts as a disciple of the Buddha. … Master Dogen specifically left us a chapter entitled ‘Jukai,’ in which it is strongly emphasized that, when the Buddhist believer first sets out to commence Buddhist practice ….. be it monk, be it lay person, no matter ….. the initial needed steps include the holding of the ceremony of Jukai and the undertaking of the Precepts …

Nishijima Roshi also offers this description of the Precepts …

The rationale of all of the Buddhist Precepts, the Mahayana Boddhisattva Precepts …… is as a pointing toward the best ways for us to live in this life, in this real world…. how to live benefiting both ourselves and others as best we can.

Daido Loori Roshi of Zen Mountain Monastery described “Jukai” this way:

The Buddhist Precepts are one of the most vital areas of practice for students… In essence, the Precepts are a definition of the life of a Buddha, of how a Buddha functions in the world. They are how enlightened beings live their lives, relate to other human beings and this planet, and make moral and ethical decisions while manifesting wisdom and compassion in everyday life.

The Soto Sect’s “Shumucho” (Religious Affairs Office in Japan) reminds us …

[T]hough people approach it with different motivations, all participants must realize that in Jukai-e they inherit the life and quintessence of Buddhism as passed down correctly by generation after generation of Ancestors since the days of ancient India.

Taiun Michael Ellison says:

[We] hold the Jukai or lay Zen Buddhist initiation ceremony for those wishing to receive (ju) the precepts (kai or sila) and formally confirm entering the Buddhist path. This is an important and powerful event in the life of a practitioner and in the life of the Sangha. This ceremony, historically known as “entering the stream,” has been performed continually since the time of the Buddha. In the Soto Zen tradition, the ceremony continues to be offered exactly as set down by Master Dogen in his text Kyojukaimon (Instructions on Giving the Precepts) more than 800 years ago.

[It] is available to anyone who has been practicing steadily for several months and who wishes to deepen and formalize their commitment to practice and to the Sangha. So the ceremony is at once both a beginning and a confirmation of something that has already occurred.

John Tarrant offers this perspective …

Every year around the beginning of winter we do the ceremony of Jukai in the Sangha. It is the primary initiation ceremony of Zen. … In Jukai you receive the Rakusu, which represents the robe of the Buddha, and your connection to all in the ancient lineage of people who have walked the Way and suffered for wisdom and also gained wisdom. You share in their light and their effort. You take on a Buddhist name, identifying yourself in the tradition in that way.

You engage with the precepts of the Bodhisattva. There are sixteen of them. Pretty much they are common sense undertakings. "I take up the way of not killing," "not stealing," "not lying," "not undertaking sexual misconduct," "not misusing drugs." Things like that, simple things. "Not indulging in anger," "not praising myself while abusing others." And as well as that there is taking refuge as part of the precepts. "I take refuge in the Buddha." "I take refuge in the Dharma." "I take refuge in the Sangha." … [It is] to say that I trust that there is a Way and I commit myself to it.

Barry Magid of Ordinary Mind Zendo writes …

[W]hat does Jukai itself mean? That's a question I don't intend to answer, but leave for each individual to decide for themselves.

So, as you can see, views on Jukai come in many flavors.

In my view, the Jukai ceremony celebrates and commemorates two facets that must exist quite on their own, apart from the ceremony … the ceremony itself works no magic, and merely marks their necessary arising:

First, there is the vow and aspiration to live in accord with the Precepts. All the Precepts come down to our seeking, as we can, to live in a manner harmless to ourself and to others, and healthful and helpful to ourself and others, knowing that ultimately there is no separation between ourself and others. If we are living already in such manner … seeking as we can do be a good father/mother/son/daughter/friend/human being … then (in my view) we have already “undertaken the Precepts”, and the ceremony merely commemorates that fact. However, the ceremony also signifies our vow to continue to do so in the future.

Second, the Jukai ceremony stands for our commitment to continue Zen Practice, our commitment to the wider Buddhist Sangha (and, on some level, to a specific Sangha such as Treeleaf), and our linking ourself symbolically to all the Buddhas and Ancestors, and all the other many people, who have walked the Way before us in the past. Again, if one already feels this in one’s heart, then the ceremony merely celebrates that fact, I believe.

Thus, the ceremony itself will not “make you into a Buddhist.” If one has developed a feeling within that one has trust in our Way, in the Buddhas and Ancestors and their Teachings, and will continue to seek to make those the foundation of one’s own life … and if one is already living in a gentle way, learning from the Buddhist Teachings and seeking to put them into practice in life ... then one is already a “Buddhist” whether one has the ceremony and receives a robe, fancy name or not.

So, if that is the case, why bother with the ceremony at all?

Again, this is for each person to determine in their own heart. However, personally, I do feel that it is important at certain times to make a formal and open statement of vow and commitment, both for one’s own sake and for the benefit of others in the Sangha and general society who might be encouraged by watching you do so. It is not quite like saying that one is “getting married” versus “just living together” with Buddhism, but it does signify that one is making a public affirmation of one’s commitment.

But that being said, I do not wish anyone to think that the ceremony somehow creates two classes of people in a Sangha, namely, those who have taken the Precepts and become “Bona Fide Official Buddhists” and those not. It does not do so, any more than having a piece of paper called a “birth certificate’ makes someone actually born! In fact, one receiving Jukai might be said to be placing themselves in a position of service to the Sangha and other human beings, thus if anything, lower than those who have not.

Furthermore, I do not think that there is a time “too early” or “too late” to take the Precepts. Some teachers hold off until someone has been practicing Buddhism for several years before allowing Jukai, some a few months, some think it can occur at the start. I will leave that up to each of you to decide what is right for your own life.

Jukai is a heartfelt promise that one makes to oneself (and the universe and to other members of the Sangha … each not separate, by the way) that one aspires to study, practice and live in accord with a certain philosophy. One should be willing, always, to repent one’s past harmful actions and to seek a path for the future which avoids harm. Thus, it is appropriate to undertake Jukai whether at the beginning of that aspiration or after many years of already having pursued the aspiration. Because Jukai does represent a vow to seek to remain within the Precepts although our human nature might push us to angry or greedy, harmful actions again and again, such aspirations and vows can and should be renewed at any time, and from time to time. There is no limit to the number of times or places at which one can undertake “Jukai”. I know people in Japan, for example, who have taken Jukai many times at many different temples. I think that I (Jundo) have received Jukai four or five times.

One point that will be mentioned again and again during our study is that the “Precepts” are not viewed as “Commandments” from a higher authority. For that reason, many describe them as aspirations, or guideposts, or arrows pointing to a way of living that is healthful to our life and the lives of others, and which will support one's Buddhist Practice. If, later, you “break” the vow, or change you mind on the aspiration or commitment to the Teachings of Buddhism, or decide that Buddhism, Zen Buddhism, a particular teacher or the like is not suitable for you, no hell fires or bolts of lightning await you (although, as we shall study, some traditional Buddhist teachings have said quite otherwise over the millennia … but you have Jundo’s personal promise that it is not so for our Jukai). Nor is breaking a Precept a “sin” in the Judeo-Christian meaning. However, in my belief, if any “hells” await, they are the “hells” that human beings create within themselves and for those around them by their harmful acts … the very forms of “harm” that the Precepts are intended to guide us from.

Some folks may avoid undertaking Jukai for fear that they will be unable to abide perfectly by all the Precepts. Well, our Buddhist Practice recognizes our human nature, and even anticipates our weaknesses. It is very hard, if not impossible, to keep all the Prefects perfectly. But acknowledging that we are imperfect and that we will inevitably make mistakes is a vitally important part of our Practice. We Practice with our human failings and fallings down. If one’s intention to keep the Precepts as best one can is sincere, then the vow is sincere even if we all stumble and fall short more than we might like.

Although taking Jukai at Treeleaf with me (Jundo) is a serious commitment to this particular place and teacher, and a symbol of your wishing to take our Treeleaf Sangha as your primary (or at least one of your primary) Practice places, nonetheless we Zen folks are very non-possessive in that regard (at least, most of us are not these days. I know other Zen Sangha that insist on more exclusivity from those taking Jukai there, but such is not my policy for Treeleaf). One can learn from countless teachers, and at myriad places over time. For that reason, in my view, Jukai can be taken several times with different teachers, and is also perfectly portable. As one travels from practice place to practice place, your “Jukai” and “Rakusu” go with you! However, I would ask that people not take Jukai at Treeleaf lightly, if they do not feel any special affinity to this place, me (Jundo) as a teacher and my guidance of this Sangha, for I hope that recipients would consider Jukai, on some level, a serious commitment to our Treeleaf Sangha even if it is a commitment that never prevents one from learning from many teachers. (Basically, if a student in her heart feels that she wishes to devote herself to a particular teacher exclusively, then it is so. And if a student wishes to devote herself to several teachers, then it is so). I hope my meaning here is clear.

So, of what will our Jukai consist?

We will have a class study covering, one by one, the meaning of each of the Precepts, as well as the meaning of “Jukai” and of the ceremony itself, and other related matters. As I said, I strongly encourage all members of Treeleaf to participate without regard to whether they will be taking Jukai this time or have taken it before. The structure of the class will be similar to our “Book Club”, and I hope to stimulate an active conversation ongoing among all the participants. I will take an active role in leading the conversation, and will be providing a variety of readings for discussion (our requested "Three Sacred Phrases" rule of shortened postings will not apply, and one may discuss to one's heart's content). Obviously, that will take quite a few weeks.

We will also be sewing a Rakusu. To that end, we will again be relying on our online sewing lessons and circle like this one from a prior year ...

However, please don't begin sewing yet without permission, as we all want to begin together September, Our dear friend Taigu is an expert in matters of the Kesa and Rakusu, and we are grateful that he presented us with a series of video talks on the history, philosophy and method of creating a Rakusu (which is an abbreviated form of the Buddhist Kesa). Sekishi and Washin will be available to provide guidance on sewing along the way. Other members of the Sangha who are or have already sewn a Rakusu will also be around to offer tips and encouragement.

Our Preparations for Jukai will conclude with a netcast 2-day retreat tentatively scheduled for December 5th and 6th for Jukai recipients and others, then be brought home with the ceremony in early January (exact date to be determined). As with all our activities and retreats, the ceremony will be conducted fully online. Jukai recipients will participate from home, and will be expected to complete the retreat. However, those with work or family responsibilities will be able to sit the retreat even after our ceremony (with the "any time" recorded version) if personal circumstances do not permit otherwise. We held such retreats in prior years ... and they went well.

That will be the culmination of our special 90 Day Ango Training Period during this time ... details of that are here:

We are flexible and accommodating in the case of anyone with health or other hardships which make participation in a particular activity difficult. Please let us know about any such concerns.

The date for the ceremony will be in January, at the end of our Precepts study and Rakusu sewing. As in prior years, I am very flexible, and am even open to accommodate people in different time zones or with scheduling issues (or working out some other special arrangement if folks have other obstacles).

We will hold what is the world’s first and only (as far as I am aware, until recent times) “All Online Jukai Ceremony”, using our one and two-way netcast resources here at Treeleaf. As with all our online activities here at Treeleaf, our Jukai will be held with the same seriousness and same procedures (with small changes due to logistics) as a Jukai conducted by Zen Sangha anywhere in the world. It is important to all of us who will participate that our "online Jukai" be as profound and comprehensive as any Jukai held by any Zen Buddhist group, and I am determined to do as much, or more, than can be accomplished by other Zen groups that happen to meet under one roof. I want what we accomplish here to serve as a model for other Buddhist Sangha in the future who may wish to attempt such things (I truly think we are pioneers, and other Sangha have learned from us how to do such ceremonies over the years).

I am sure that I have forgotten to mention many other points about “Jukai”, but I know that these will all be raised during our many weeks of study and preparation. Please feel free to post in this thread too any comments or questions you may have, and I will do my best to address them, or you can e-mail or PM me with private concerns.

Finally, I might say that when any one of us undertakes “Jukai”, the whole universe undertakes “Jukai” in that very moment. For each of us, all of us, the Precepts and the whole of Reality are not two.

I am just reposting the full Jukai and Ango Announcements here in the public area of the Forum:

-----------------------

ANNOUNCEMENT: Treeleaf 'ANGO' (The 90 Days) --2020--

Ango Announcement Board from a Chinese Temple, marking First Day of the 90 Days:

Hello Dear Leafers,

Commencing on SEPTEMBER 4th, 2019 (with our Monthly 4-Hour netcast Zazenkai on that day, evening of September 4th in most time zones)...

... AND CULMINATING WITH OUR "AT HOME" 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT (currently scheduled for the weekend of December 5th & 6th, via live netcast), our Treeleaf Sangha will hold our next traditional (yet "fully online") ...

'ANGO'

(90 Day Special Practice Season, a period of Peaceful Abiding)

I hope you will consider to participate (and we ask especially all those folks undertaking JUKAI this year to participate).

What is "ANGO"?

Ango, 安居 ... literally “peaceful dwelling and abiding” ... is a period of concentrated and committed Zen practice, usually lasting three months in the Soto Zen tradition, often in the summer but in other seasons as well. The roots of Ango arise from the earliest days of the Buddhist monastic community in India, when monks and nuns would cease their wandering and settle together in one place for the rainy season. Even today in Zen monasteries of Japan, Ango is a time of intense and rigorous training, typically including long hours of Zazen, short hours for sleep, formal meals taken in the Zendo (meditation hall), and a structured schedule for the rest of the day comprising periods for work, liturgy, study, rest, and personal needs. In the West, most Zen groups have adapted the form of the three month practice period to the needs and demands of life in their communities.

In keeping with the philosophy and path of practice here at Treeleaf ("all of life is our temple"), we will seek to obtain many of the same ... (and, I believe, quite a few additional and very special) ... fruits and lessons of a traditional Ango while sitting within the "monastery" of our day-to-day lives, jobs, problems, unending distractions and family responsibilities.

In doing so, I believe, we will have the opportunity to taste the sweetness (and sometime bitterness ... no one without the other) of concentrated Zen practice ... and learn lessons, in many ways more poignant, practical, immediate and powerful than what might be known even to monks locked away in a sheltered mountain monastery. As always, we will be tasting the power of this practice in the world, in daily life ... and not hidden away from it all.

Zen Sangha around the world have experimented in recent years with various forms of Ango for working and family people who cannot (or do not feel drawn to) isolate themselves from the world for weeks on end, often commuting to practice and with limited time. We will build our Ango learning from their precedents and experiences. As well, this year will build upon the experience gained in our our Treeleaf Angos of many previous years.

Now, I believe that "intensity" of practice can best be attained ... not by increasing the raw quantity, bodily discomfort or physical isolation of practice ... but primarily and powerfully by bringing new sincerity, commitment, vigor, equanimity, goallessness and seriousness into what we may already do.

As each person's life situation, family and work responsibilities vary, I will be happy to consult with folks to adjust and design a practice schedule and content to fit those circumstances. However, the most important point to keep in mind is that those work duties at the office, daily problems and family responsibilities ARE THE PRACTICE PLACE as much as the Zafu (sitting cushion). The home kitchen is the temple kitchen, the office, store or factory is a convent workplace, workshop or garden when we practice Samu (work practice), etc. Children and loved ones are your fellow temple residents who benefit from your labors. Each presents countless opportunities for practice, and for manifesting Wisdom and Compassion.

One can be flexible in designing one's schedule, and flexible in meeting the changing demands of each day ... but commitment to "stick with this" is required. One might change the order of things, even push certain practices back a few days ... but equally one must not let things slide, and must somehow promptly find the time to accomplish all that one has committed to do. There is flexibility and moderation ... but not laxity. The purpose is not to overwhelm or "burn out;" it is to mutually work together through a period of dedicated practice. We will do our best each and every day, and let Zazen soak into our life. But key to that is consistency, not giving up, finding the time and not quitting.

Now, this "All-Online Treeleaf Ango" (as are so many things about Treeleaf) is a constant experiment ... and thus some of the following elements may be adjusted as we go along. However, I believe that Ango participants should commit to all or most of the following. In all cases, the emphasis will be on increasing ... not raw quantity ... but the sincerity, commitment, vigor, equanimity, goallessness and seriousness of what we undertake.

With that perspective in mind, some of the following suggestions for the Ango are not "optional", and are asked of everyone absent some true health or other extenuating circumstance which renders them a total and complete impossibility or legitimate hardship!

The other activities are merely "strongly suggested". All in all, I do not believe that the below demands will unreasonably add to the amount of time people are already dedicating to their Jukai and Rakusu sewing work, or to their existing practices and the time constraints of daily life. I believe, if examined closely, the time is manageable. Again, I am flexible to work out a schedule for those with special needs ... commitment and consistency being the most important. We may also adjust or substitute some projects in the coming weeks, so the following list is subject to small changes.

Please note that, if someone has a health or other circumstance which makes some aspect or activity of Jukai or Ango a hardship, please let me know and we will work out a different way.

Required Ango Activities:

+ Daily Sitting: Add a minimum of 5 minutes per sitting to however long one's current sitting time, and commit to sit that time - at least daily - without missing a single day. We ask that of everyone physically able. Or, for some who can and whose schedule will realistically allow and who feel called to do so, you are invited to consider (this is not a requirement, however, and totally dependent on your heart and life circumstances) an additional full sitting period per day, of a length in time you determine, in addition to however many times per day one is now sitting Zazen, to be sat each day or just some days. Whatever your commitment, be realistic about what you can maintain ... and then (absent sheer impossibility) stick with it, without missing a single day

+Zazenkai: Join in each and every 90 minute Saturday Treeleaf Zazenkai, and 4-hour monthly Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast without fail. However, as always, each will be available in recorded form (so may be joined at a time to fit your schedule). We also have other netcast sittings at various times during the week, led by our Sangha Priests and Members, and you are free to join those sittings in addition to the above, should you wish.

+ Precept Study/Discussion: Study the Precepts along with the Jukaiees, even if you have already taken Jukai, or even if you don’t intend to take Jukai; studying the precepts is vital for all Buddhists and it is good to review again and again.

+ Give-up Something: Commit to give up one or two items or passions one truly loves during the Practice period, for example, sweets after meals, luxurious meals, cigarettes, television, consumer purchases of luxury items.

+ Rohatsu Retreat: Commit to sit our SPECIAL NETCAST ROHATSU RETREAT (to be held online, currently scheduled for netcast the weekend of December 5th & 6th) at the culmination of the Ango. Again, it would be good to participate "live", but the Rohatsu Netcast will be available in recorded form to fit schedules. The retreat will likely be similar to last year's schedule and content:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...2019-MAIN-PAGE

+ Discussions: Join frequently in online discussions in our Jukai/Ango Forum of the content and your Ango experiences, sharing the ups and downs and middles.

+ Meal Gatha: Commit to mindful eating, and silently or orally recite one short meal chant before most meals (here is one I suggest). It is good to write it on a card and, if in a social sitting where reciting is not possible, to read or recall it silently.

(Hands in Gassho) This food comes from the efforts
    of all sentient beings past and present,
    and is medicine for nourishment of our Practice.
    We offer this meal of many virtues and tastes
    to the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha,
    and to all life in every realm of existence.
    May all sentient beings in the universe
    be sufficiently nourished.
    Suggested Practices:

+ Lend-A-Hand: Participate, hopefully with your family members, in our LEND A HAND service program during the Ango period, engaging each day in some small or large good deed or 'hands on' charitable activity making your community, the lives of others, this world a bit better (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Lend-A-Hand%29).

+ Dana (giving): In addition to LEND A HAND, commit a portion of your weekly income during the period to extra charitable donations (assuming you have the financial ability and it is not a hardship). We do encourage people to make financial donations to charities that help folks, e.g., feeding the poor, helping refugees, finding a cure for a disease. Both donations and volunteer work should be a bit beyond the point where it starts to hurt. Following the foregoing, we also accept, but do not solicit or require, voluntary donations here at Treeleaf should anyone wish.

+ Metta Practice: Add, if you can, Metta Verse Practice (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Metta-PRACTICE) and Nurturing Seeds Practice (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...Seeds-PRACTICE) to your routine each day.

+ Samu Study: Make formal study on the meaning and philosophy of Samu (work practice, the central theme of Dogen's "Instructions for the Cook"), and apply such perspectives and attitudes in your family and work duties each day. This optional to read, but wonderful, book is recommended for that: How to Cook Your Life - From the Zen Kitchen to Enlightenment (sometimes available under the title From The Zen Kitchen To Enlightenment: Refining Your Life) by Eihei Dogen and Kosho Uchiyama Roshi (LINK).

+ Simple Living: Undertake one or two of the "Simple Living" Practices each week, small little practices that don't take much time but which pack powerful lessons. We will post a list, and you may choose what seems helpful from among them.

+ Consider to join the Tonglen Practice Circle, a powerful practice of healing. Details here: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...ractice-Circle

+ Feel free to drop in one of our Tea Houses from time to time, just to informally socialize with Sangha friends. Details here: https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/foru...dly-Tea-Houses
    The following are encouraged of Ango Participants:

Connect with the Sangha during Ango:

+ Find a Practice Partner and Stay In Touch: Partner with another Sangha Member who is joining in this Ango, either a first time participant or someone who has done so before, and contact them at least once a week to see how they are, and to encourage each other. A simple, short email to each other is enough. This is highly encouraged for Jukaiees and first time Ango’ers. Your partner will be a friendly voice and someone to help support you through Ango. If you need help pairing up, we will help introduce partners before the start of Ango.

+ Talk with Jundo: If you wish, commit to meet with Jundo by Skype video at least once during the Ango.

+ And just a pleasant suggestion: You might consider to make more use of our various scheduled Zazenkai which are held most days at various times (LINK), and/or our Insight Timer Group to connect with others (LINK).
    The way to go about registering for this Ango is to post your commitment here in this Forum. In the traditional manner, once your commitment is received, your name is entered on a list of Ango participants which, at the start of the Ango period, is inscribed on a 'paper scroll' and posted at Treeleaf Zendo in Japan.

I hope you will join us in this endeavor to manifest Great Non-Doing. How wonderful it will be if you join the Treeleaf community in this commitment to intensive practice for a time, together finding our self where we find our self!

Let me mention that some of our Novice-Priests will be serving as our "Shuso" (首座 - Head Seats) for this Ango, a traditional role whereby they are managing and taking charge of the entire Ango and Jukai, will be guiding people, are here to answer any particular questions and concerns you may have and to encourage folks. Our Shuso for this Ango will be ... Shoka and Geika for the first month, Shokai and Sekishi for the second month, and Shugen and Kyonin for the third month. They will be active and available to answer any questions, and to make sure that everyone can find their way through. As well, Shinshi and Washin will guide our RAKUSU SEWING CIRCLE, and Jakuden, Byokan and Kokuu will guide our PRECEPT DISCUSSIONS throughout all of our JUKAI PREPARATIONS period.

Let's Go ANGO!!!!