Thread: August 7th-8th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

August 7th-8th Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Dear All,

Please sit our Treeleaf Zazenkai for 90 minutes with Zazen, Heart Sutra and more:

10am Japan Saturday morning, NY 9pm, LA 6pm Friday night, London 2am and Paris 3am Saturday morning, or any time thereafter here:

Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK, password (if needed): dogen

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...093#post189093
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-10-2020 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Fixed links and added youtube video.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo. Intention is to be there two ways.

Gassho
    Washin
    st-lah
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I will participate. Thank you.

Gassho
    Jiki
    Sat today

Me be there

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Sat/LAH
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you all for sitting together.
    Thank you for the beautiful talk, Jundo.

Gassho
    Washin
    sattoday
    Kaidō (皆道) Every Way
    Washin (和信) Harmony Trust
    ----
    I am a novice priest-in-training. Anything that I say must not be considered as teaching
    and should be taken with a 'grain of salt'.

I started falling asleep during the first sitting so decided to sleep rather than fight it. Sunflower Tea House will still be open sometime after today's Zazenkai.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Wonderful zazenkai! I am so much impressed by the talk. Thank you Jundo and everyone.

Gassho,
    Jiki
    Sat Today

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi, and all! I'm ever grateful for this wonderful opportunity to practice together.

Gassho,
    Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    聖簡 Seikan (Sacred Simplicity)

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi, and everyone for a lovely zazenkai & tea time. Have a great weekene!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    Sat/lah
    美道 Bidou Beautiful Way
    恩海 Onkai Merciful/Kind Ocean

I have a lot to learn; take anything I say that sounds like teaching with a grain of salt.

So glad to "meet" you, Jiki. _()_

Thank you, Jundo, Sekishi and everyone. _()_

gassho
    shonin sat today and lah
    Visiting unsui: use salt

Thank you everyone. I sat with you this morning.

Thank you for this week’s talk Jundo.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah
    泰林 - Tai Rin - Peaceful Woods

Thanks Jundo,
    Thanks Sangha.
    I just sat, today.

Gassho

Doshin
    St

Just so everyone knows what I mean by the "Four Jhanas" in early Sutta descriptions of meditation, the following is typical ...

First Jhana: Quite secluded from sense pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states of mind, he enters and dwells in the first jhana, which is accompanied by applied thought and sustained thought with rapture (bliss) and happiness born of seclusion. (M.i,1818; Vbh.245)

Second Jhana: With the subsiding of applied thought and sustained thought he enters and dwells in the second jhana, which has internal confidence and unification of mind, is free of applied thought and sustained thought, and is filled with rapture and happiness born of concentration (M.i,181; Vbh. 245)

Third Jhana: With the fading away of rapture, he dwells in equanimity, mindful and discerning; and he experiences in his own person that happiness of which the noble ones say: 'Happily lives he who is equanimous and mindful' — thus he enters and dwells in the third jhana. (M.i,182; Vbh.245)

Fourth Jhana: With the abandoning of pleasure and pain, and with the previous disappearance of joy and grief, he enters and dwells in the fourth jhana, which has neither-pain-nor-pleasure and has purity of mindfulness due to equanimity. (M.i,182; Vbh.245)
    Thus, there is a dropping of applied and sustained thought, then a fading away of rapture, a disentangling from pleasures and pain, ceasing measures of joy and grief, aversions and attractions, replaced by the wholeness of a unified mind and equanimity.

Gassho, J

STLah

PS - I am not a Pali/Sanskrit scholar, but the traditional terms used are "piti," which is often translated with the English word "rapture," and is distinguished from the longer-lasting meditative "joy" or "happiness" (Pali, Sanskrit: sukha) which is a subtler feeling that arises along with pīti. Depending on how it is being used in English, "bliss" can refer either to piti or to sukha.
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-09-2020 at 02:02 AM.

Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everyone, that was so good I forgot it was a recording.... when Jundo asked if everyone could hear OK, I gave a thumbs up Wonderful, timely talk Jundo Roshi.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    Thank you Jundo, Sekishi and everyone, that was so good I forgot it was a recording.... when Jundo asked if everyone could hear OK, I gave a thumbs up Wonderful, timely talk Jundo Roshi.

Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday
    I almost always sit with the recording but often forget that and get caught up in it too.

Tairin
    Sat today and lah

Quote Originally Posted by Jakuden View Post
    .... when Jundo asked if everyone could hear OK, I gave a thumbs up ...
    And I gave a thumbs up back!

Gassho, J

STLAH

Thank you Jundo and eveyone else.
    Tremendous talk Jundo, I didn't know about the Four Jhanas but their descriptions above, particularly the Third and Fourth Jhanas helps me to understand the experiences I had recently that I shared privately a little better i.e. nothin' special lol.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

I am glad to know you too 😊🙏

Gassho
    Jiki
    Sat

Thank you everyone.
    Gassho,
    Kotei sat/lah today.

義道 冴庭 / Gidō Kotei.
    Being a novice priest doesn't mean my writing about the Dharma is more substantial than yours. Actually, it might well be the other way round.

Wonderful to see everyone, excellent talk as usual!

Gassho,

Joshua
    SatToday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Completed On Demand this morning.
    Forgot to post.
    Thank you everyone.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart