Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rapturous Samadhi?

Quote Originally Posted by Risho View Post
    tell that to dogen let alone every other zen teacher on the planet :-p

gassho

risho
    -st
    Something about the insufficiency of language to describe inspires so much speech.

Gassho,

Andrew,

Satlah

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I wonder if the meditative stages in the Theravadan traditions belong to a later stratum. Just concentrating, being calm and allowing insight doesn't sound like that big of a deal. Shikantaza sounds like a broad form of concentration.
    !Time now to sit and find out! ...

... as the Zen folks are apt to say when the talk gets to such a point.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc View Post
    Wow, lots of words here to talk about just sitting...

Gassho,

Kirk

sat
    Gassho2, meian, st lh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    My life is my temple and my practice.

La Croix-Avranchin, Basse Normandie, France
    Before I joined Treeleaf and based purely on book study of Zen I was under the impression that I would achieved joy and bliss on the zafu and that would overflow into daily life, it never occurred and never did.

Joining Treeleaf I learnt that this was not the way of Soto Zen and Shikantaza, so I learned to sit expecting nothing, try to let the thoughts come and go, not get tangled up and after 1423 continuous days of sitting (I have missed one day since joining here) I have had just one short moment of feeling totally calm with just a smidging of bliss, gone in seconds.

During last weeks Zazenkai after the talk I tried to open my heart to a blissful feeling and each day of this week to no avail, such is suchness.

Sat

Seishin

Sei - Meticulous
    Shin - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    !Time now to sit and find out! ...

... as the Zen folks are apt to say when the talk gets to such a point.

Gassho, J

STLah
    I shall continue to sit.
    It looks like I'll need to continue researching how these distinctions between meditation styles that seem fluid to me are traditionally parsed through my own study so I'll do that as well.

Gassho,

Andrew,

Satlah

Quote Originally Posted by Seishin View Post
    Before I joined Treeleaf and based purely on book study of Zen I was under the impression that I would achieved joy and bliss on the zafu and that would overflow into daily life, it never occurred and never did.

Joining Treeleaf I learnt that this was not the way of Soto Zen and Shikantaza, so I learned to sit expecting nothing, try to let the thoughts come and go, not get tangled up and after 1423 continuous days of sitting (I have missed one day since joining here) I have had just one short moment of feeling totally calm with just a smidging of bliss, gone in seconds.

During last weeks Zazenkai after the talk I tried to open my heart to a blissful feeling and each day of this week to no avail, such is suchness.

Sat
    I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Gassho,

Andrew,

Satlah

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123