Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: EXPRESSING CREATIVITY: Media Arts - photography, videography, photo collage, etc.

EXPRESSING CREATIVITY: Media Arts - photography, videography, photo collage, etc.

Tia Shi gassho
    Check out my biography. Still current, it’s still tells all YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ME. Open to friendship.

Gassho sat lah
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tai Shi; 08-28-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Very nice roses Tai Chi.

Gassho, Jishin, __/stlah\__

Gassho
    sat
    Gassho

My sweetie. We’ve been together more than 40 years.
    Gassho

sat
    lah

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Shi View Post

Wonderful flowers Tai Shi.

Thanks Tai Shi for your photos. A beautiful park for you and your 'sweetie'.

Bows
    Anne

~lahst~

EXPRESSING CREATIVITY: Media Arts - photography, videography, photo collage, etc.

Thank you Jishin I did not grow the roses, but I took the picture. Thank you Anne, my sweetie and I have been in going to MacKennen Park for years and she has never let me photograph her up close. One more photo.

Gassho
    sat
    Tai Shi lah

Last edited by Tai Shi; 08-29-2020 at 06:58 AM.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I periodically really get into creating collage images from photos and digital sketches (mostly using the ProCreate mobile app). This summer I found it therapeutic to work with the darker feelings and emotions that arise during a global pandemic, ongoing repression, and unhealthy political / social discourse in my country. I mostly work on these images at the end of the day while taking a bath - wash away the fears and mental habits along with the dust of the day.

Here are a few of my favorites with the captions I used on instagram - which reflect my thinking at the time.

For the time-being: blue mountains.

This world of composite entities without essence, can we take it seriously without taking it literally?

This is my brain on Doomscrolling.

Self and other are like the inside and outside of this skinbag - arbitrary distinctions of the mind. Can we set aside our precious suffering and allow all boundaries to crumble? We are each the whole universe made manifest.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #doodled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Sekishi; 08-29-2020 at 08:16 PM. Reason: FiXeD a tie-poe
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Powerful, my old-friend Sekieshi did I spell your name right? And, I too have dabbled in my countries disillusion and blackest Black time it is coming soon a time when our skin in minority will as old men topple. This is to my liking as long as I am not killed. Treeleaf offers hope and as we seek middle path let us not be hinderance and still help as you have done. Thank you. Gassho, deep bows sat Tai Shi.

Books to live by. The one to the left the on-ramp going to the right, the one in the ones in the middle seeking what I have seen lived in Treeleaf women and men, now to included old and disabled soon to see become skin of relief!
    Gassho
    sat/ lah
    Gassho

Wow, those images are amazing, Sekishi! Such great work!

I have been playing with textiles and Sashiko/Boro work. This is an abstract piece: https://postimg.cc/9z1x3kLy

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-

Awesome images Sekishi and Kokuu.

Last edited by Jishin; 08-30-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Such tat tat tat no info is is monied into more as some have nothing nothing comes of nothing ride Shakespeare into death of poetry, knives exhaustion in lite strat pins into bosom of dolls averaged this is poetry

Country strides toward destiny death by ballot. Falsified voice of people voting demigod into office. President every pumping bloody wound of facilitating recovering nothing US has denied liberty to So many into peaceful submits no infrastructure all gone. No commerce if dead do die.

We rise again into perhaps old White men will not survive their own power pad ripped from under then giving women of Color into freedom like lights swift and sudden believe we needn’t differ as old Men sweep themselves into now they become out damned spot of blood count three senate Supreme Court falsified finally nothing governed as poor, disabled, people rise to the occasion of our birth many beloved voices reckoning fair and democratic electors who collegial raise hands to be voted normal all everyone together above tyrant of willfulness again peace reigns in the now. Gassho Gassho Gassho deeply, more sitting into regular intuition without time now Calm Poetry always helping, helping, helping.

Gassho/ sitting/ lah/ Taishi

Irate word is wood all word up to tongues of flame dove descends of olive branch of mouth like above love is the unfamiliar name as Er not vision man wrapped in nothingness the flesh Buddha chest into age 80 preached compassion how can fire sermon dismount as eighty married elder man of power thee peaceful Buddha, Dharma, Sangha, water from flesh, then no spirit thought mindfulness all real tangible not som figure standing in red over current I ave this is not crossing then they become Enlightened and calm Gassho, Gassho, Gassho now sitting for others, long sentence and for other compassion with touch so pure,!Tai Shi

Irate word is wood all word up to tongues of flame dove descends of olive branch of mouth like above love is the unfamiliar name as Er not vision man wrapped in nothingness the flesh Buddha chest into age 80 preached compassion how can fire sermon dismount as eighty married elder man of power thee peaceful Buddha, Dharma, Sangha, water from flesh, then no spirit thought mindfulness all real tangible not som figure standing in red over current I ave this is not crossing then they become Enlightened and calm Gassho, Gassho, Gassho now sitting for others, long sentence and for other compassion with touch so pure,!Tai Shi

This no History

Stand befor you
    Upon fire
    Water cool
    On Earth
    No senses
    All senses
    Nothing written
    Into sand
    Nothing with
    Current wash
    With more
    More, less
    Less, nothing
    Something.
    Gautama
    Tatagatha
    Give us man
    Previous precept
    Breathing
    Sitting
    Nothin
    All is real
    Now like fleshy
    Trees wood
    Carried now
    Path of rocky
    Rubble
    Mor strength
    Found compassion.
    Gassho three times
    Built upon burgundy!
    Seat
    Tai Shi

Such tat tat tat no info is is monied into more as some have nothing nothing comes of nothing ride Shakespeare into death of poetry, knives exhaustion in lite strat pins into bosom of dolls averaged this is poetry

Hi Tai Shi,

I wish I knew more about poetry to appreciate what you write but I don't. I can tell you are passionate about it but that is where my understanding ends. Thank you for sharing your passion with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jishin View Post
    Hi Tai Shi,

I wish I knew more about poetry to appreciate what you write but I don't. I can tell you are passionate about it but that is where my understanding ends. Thank you for sharing your passion with us.

Then all rise in peace
    Found finally compassion
    For humankind all peace,
    Peace, peace, peace, Shante
    Shante, Shante
    And,!tongued into the crowned
    Knot of fire three times,
    This for my dear friend
    What does Jishin
    Mean,!tree times three?
    Now now, he sits, Calmest Poetry

Imprisonments gone in imperfection
    Now burgany chair sit, Calm poempicture!

These are interwoven lines of poetry from two plays of poetry by William Shakespeare, then Two poems of TS Eliot, then myself all attempted in the by UNITARIAN now bin of death out of every word is the now of peace and compassion. This explains the meaning, within are sound devices because all good poetry
    Is read aloud. This is strait forward explanation Jishin. By the way. Jundo has asked that words be in “the now.” So I’ve tried to do this. I’m afraid Free Verse is mostly more than 3 lines, nevertheless in the now.

Last edited by Tai Shi; 08-30-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Like writing about writing
    This is picture about picture. Sound about sound.

Last edited by Tai Shi; 08-30-2020 at 05:38 PM.

These are interwoven lines of poetry from two plays of poetry by William Shakespeare, then Two poems of TS Eliot, then myself all attempted in the by UNITARIAN now bin of death out of every word is the now of peace and compassion. This explains the meaning, within are sound devices because all good poetry
    Is read aloud. This is strait forward explanation Jishin. By the way. Jundo has asked that words be in “the now.” So I’ve tried to do this. I’m afraid Free Verse is mostly more than 3 lines, nevertheless in the now.

I can understand this. Thank you. Nice pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    I periodically really get into creating collage images from photos and digital sketches (mostly using the ProCreate mobile app). This summer I found it therapeutic to work with the darker feelings and emotions that arise during a global pandemic, ongoing repression, and unhealthy political / social discourse in my country. I mostly work on these images at the end of the day while taking a bath - wash away the fears and mental habits along with the dust of the day.

Here are a few of my favorites with the captions I used on instagram - which reflect my thinking at the time.

For the time-being: blue mountains.

This world of composite entities without essence, can we take it seriously without taking it literally?

This is my brain on Doomscrolling.

Self and other are like the inside and outside of this skinbag - arbitrary distinctions of the mind. Can we set aside our precious suffering and allow all boundaries to crumble? We are each the whole universe made manifest.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #doodled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sekishi,
    I have seen these images on Instagram and they are so beautiful and other-worldly. I especially love the blue mountain image. And yes, a good practice for these sad and scary times - making beauty. Thank you for posting here. We have quite a collection of images on this thread (and now poetry! thank you Tai Shi.) As I mentioned in an earlier post it would be fun to put the images all on some sort of 'gallery' page to see the wide and fine scope of talent in our sangha. Any suggestions or offer of help on how to accomplish that would be appreciated.

We will leave this thread current for a while longer as long as it is pulling in such wonderful responses.

Gassho

Anne

~st~

Thank you Jishin.Younare my friend I have gratitude to know you thank you.

Your pictures are beautiful Jishin I wouldn’t know how to do them. Thank you I like you as a friend. You are artistic

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooperix View Post
    I have seen these images on Instagram and they are so beautiful and other-worldly. I especially love the blue mountain image.
    Funny when they are driven by Dukkha in this world. I had not given it much thought until now, but how wonderful it is that we humans are so often driven by negative feelings to express beauty in its place. Sentient beings as alchemists.

We have quite a collection of images on this thread (and now poetry! thank you Tai Shi.) As I mentioned in an earlier post it would be fun to put the images all on some sort of 'gallery' page to see the wide and fine scope of talent in our sangha. Any suggestions or offer of help on how to accomplish that would be appreciated.
    I think this is a wonderful idea that I would like to revisit in a few months when we are settled in with the new forum software and website. Can we figure out a way to showcase some of the art, poetry, photography, music, textile creations, jewelry, etc. that are created by our Sangha members?

Thank you to all who share your expressions of the the human experience.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat #lah
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Sekishi I think too much but not in my pictures most around our neighborhood and even Marge says they are beautiful this is a rare composition. Of compliment. Marge. Hopppppy praised photography of your art and mine natural thank you for sharing AtireYes Tai Shi

Incredible pictures, thank you all for sharing them .

Here are two of my recent ones (I am aware that in the one doing Zazen my knees should be touching the ground, but it wasn't going to happen with those pants!).

https://imgur.com/a/TfADMhB

https://imgur.com/a/ak5Q1pB

Gassho, Tomás
    Sat

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Wow, those images are amazing, Sekishi! Such great work!

I have been playing with textiles and Sashiko/Boro work. This is an abstract piece: https://postimg.cc/9z1x3kLy

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Kokuu, Wonderful collage/ stitchery work. I love this piece...

And Tomas, thank you!

Sekishi, yes thank you for offering to help. I do think it might be fun to have gallery page for the art circle.

Bows
    Anne

~lahst~
    Last edited by Cooperix; 08-30-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Country strides toward destiny death by ballot. Falsified voice of people voting demigod into office. President every pumping bloody wound of facilitating recovering nothing US has denied liberty to So many into peaceful submits no infrastructure all gone. No commerce if dead do die.

Hi,

I will leave this for now, because the Art section, where a bit more freedom of expression ...

However, actually, I would ask that we leave the politics at the door even here.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I am going to split the discussion of "leave politics at the Zendo door" into a separate thread, if I may.

Gassho, J

STLah

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi,

I will leave this for now, because the Art section, where a bit more freedom of expression ...

However, actually, I would ask that we leave the politics at the door even here.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah
    Actually, I would prefer that the same respect to Sangha guidelines is shown here in the Art section as it is elsewhere; my fear is that otherwise this section will be seen as an area of the forum where people can say and do as they wish, and I don't want to see that happen.
    I think we are already very flexible around what answers the briefs /prompts, so please let's also maintain respect for our Sangha guidelines within that flexibility.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Kokuu, I love your abstract piece, that's my favourite so far and really is inspiring. Even the darkest clouds have some silver lining, and now that our dear Pepe has left this floating world, I may be able to pick up my sewing/knitting etc again.
    Sekishi, fabulous images, thought provoking titles.
    TaiShi your photo contributions are much appreciated as a reflection of your everyday life, I love that. Perhaps we will later have a thread about Expressing Creativity through words, where your poetry and free verse will be much appreciated.
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Respectfully, Art has always been political in the Feminist sense that the personal is political. Every Artist is making a statement or offering a commentary on something bigger than the piece itself and I include interpretations by others too.
    For example I see Sekishi's compositions above as hugely political without reading his own commentary on the pieces.
    Yes, words are powerful and yes political rants that I specialise in should be left at the Zendo door but words as Art should be just as valued as visual Art and as such not be censored. I use the word censored incredibly reluctantly because I know that some will automatically get defensive but I don't believe Art should be censored. Fear not Sisters, Brothers and Others I won't use the Art and craft area of the forum to share my Poetry collection as it is an intersection of ugly life and radical politics haha. Fun Fact: some of my Poetry has found its way into private collections and added to an anthology of Poetry collected in the nearest city to us. In one series I wrote my Poetry in pencil on used envelopes and leave them in random spaces. They were a commentary on impermanence years before I found Zen.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today
    I.apologise for throwing the 3 sentence guideline at the wall with this post. I always endeavour to do and be better.
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Hello Onka,

Although this is the art center, it is still our Zen Buddhist art center here at Treeleaf. So, we will keep the same policy here, and leave politics and politicians outside the door, as Meitou said.

Gassho, Jundo

Stlah

Yes politics at the door, Jundo, I would not be offended at what you delete. More than anything I was playing within word and image. I understand some might be offended! Gasho Tai Shi sat

Yes politics at the door, Jundo, I would not be offended at what you delete. More than anything I was playing within word and image. I understand some might be offended! Gasho Tai Shi sat

No-one is offended TaiShi and you're not being censored.
    Tranquillo amico
    Gassho
    Meitou
    Sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Although I agree with Onka in general: artwork is political, the art circle threads offer a place of respite from the storm that is our world. And I am deeply grateful to all who have contributed their images to make this place so full of beauty and creative energy.
    Amazing creativity in our sangha...

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~

Art is a free expression and cannot be censored. However, individual institutions and organisations can decide what is appropriate for them and what isn't.

You are unlikely to get a racial feminist piece of art into the National Portrait Gallery.

However, that of course begs questions of representation and who and what are being chosen to hang in galleries and public spaces and how they are chosen. My art historian friend Aruna has written extensively about this in respect of the representation of gender and ethnicity and who is doing the choosing.

Here are Treeleaf we make no exclusion based on gender, ethnicity or physical or mental disability or otherwise. There are, however, limits as befits a place of Buddhist practice and those limits, among others, include use of Right Speech and topics which we have found not conducive to peaceful practice, such as party politics.

Apologies for using a few sentences more.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    Last edited by Kokuu; 08-31-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Art is a free expression and cannot be censored. However, individual institutions and organisations can decide what is appropriate for them and what isn't.

You are unlikely to get a racial feminist piece of art into the National Portrait Gallery.

However, that of course begs questions of representation and who and what are being chosen to hang in galleries and public spaces and how they are chosen. My art historian friend Aruna has written extensively about this in respect of the representation of gender and ethnicity and who is doing the choosing.

Here are Treeleaf we make no exclusion based on gender, ethnicity or physical or mental disability or otherwise. There are, however, limits as befits a place of Buddhist practice and those limits, among others, include use of Right Speech and topics which we have found not conducive to peaceful practice, such as party politics.

Apologies for using a few sentences more.

Gassho
    Kokuu
    -sattoday/lah-
    This clarifies things for me in relation to the Art circle Kokuu. Thank you. I still believe that Tai Shi's Poetry is beautifully opaque and playful enough to not be deemed party political.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

Although I agree with Onka in general: artwork is political, the art circle threads offer a place of respite from the storm that is our world. And I am deeply grateful to all who have contributed their images to make this place so full of beauty and creative energy.
    Amazing creativity in our sangha...

Gassho
    Anne

~lahst~
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    穏 On (Calm)
    火 Ka (Fires)
    They/She.

So returning to the original purpose of this thread, I found another quote by Ansel Adams that I like very much ..

“When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.”

These two groups of photos contain some of what that quote from Ansel Adams is suggesting. They were inspired by these words from the lovely book 'ikegana and other Japanese words to live by', by Mari Fujimoto, and attempt to merge ikebana with photography, rather than a simple representation of a flower arrangement.

"Ikebana.. means 'giving life to flowers'.With the aim of capturing a beautiful and natural asymmetry, ikebana creates a space in which the delicate transience of the seasons can be visually acknowledged and appreciated.The constellation of flowers figures birth, growth, decay and reincarnation."

ikebana triptych.jpg

ikebana vertical 4.jpg

Gassho
    Meitou
    sattoday lah
    命 Mei - life
    島 Tou - island

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast