Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunflower Tea House (Temporarily Shuttered)

Sunflower Tea House (Temporarily Shuttered)

JUNDO NOTE: Due to personal circumstances, Onka has had to close the "Sunflower Tea House" for now. We hope it is temporary and that she will open again soon. I also want to express my thanks to Onka and everyone for her efforts.
    ‐------‐-----------------------------‐‐----------------------------------------------‐----------------------------------------

Warmest greetings friends!
    Welcome to the Sunflower Tea House.
    We will be catching up for a casual yarn every week after our weekly Zazenkai in the spirit of getting to know each other better. It would be terrific to see you there.
    I tried to make it as simple as possible for myself by setting a start time after our weekly Zazenkai be it the weekly or monthly one. The start time will remain the same unless told otherwise. That way anyone can look at the Treeleaf calendar and see easily what time that would be in their respective time zone and I'd be saved the brain strain of thinking about different days, times, adjusting for places that have daylight saving in Summer etc. Phew! I've got a headache just thinking about it.
    However, as this thread reveals, the Sunflower Tea House is open and will be again at...
    Saturday 1400hrs or 2pm Melbourne
    and I hope will be...
    Saturday 1300hrs or 1pm Japan
    Friday 0001hrs or 12am New York
    Friday 2100hrs or 9pm Los Angeles
    Saturday 0500hrs or 5am London
    Saturday 0500hrs or 5am Paris
    Apologies if my calculations are incorrect, I literally had to check 3 times and am still not convinced I've got it right haha.
    I need to lie down now however I look forward to seeing you for a cup of your non-alcoholic choice after our LIVE Zazenkai sittings.
    The format will be as follows:
    Informal greeting to Sunflower Tea House
    Zazen for approximately 5 minutes
    Casual chat getting to know each other better for between 30 to 40 minutes give or take.
    Informal farewell until the following week.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Previous opening post:

I wonder if there's enough folk and interest in this kinda thing for those from so called Australia, Aotearoa and South Africa? Not sure if SE Asian folk have similar timezones but it might be worth thinking about.
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-31-2020 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Brain strain
    Life's too serious to be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Onka View Post
    I wonder if there's enough folk and interest in this kinda thing for those from so called Australia, Aotearoa and South Africa? Not sure if SE Asian folk have similar timezones but it might be worth thinking about.
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    We just need an organizer. I would suggest you, Onka, but I know you are working with a broken computer and a cell phone with a cracked screen.

Gassho, J

STLah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for your suggestion Jundo. I still don't have a computer and I am using a phone with a cracked screen. It seemed to work out ok with today's Zazenkai so if you'd like to send me a message or email we might actually be able to get something going.
    Gassho
    Onka
    sat today

Well then, the "Asiantipode Tea House" is born. If you can find a couple of more folks to support it from this half of the world, it would be nice to get going. I will add the name.

Gassho, J

STLah

Thailand is in the same timezone as Christmas island. I'm happy to join in.

Gassho

Nanrin

Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Yep, you're only 3 hours behind Australian Eastern Standard Time Nanrin. I'm in Queensland but I know that Getchi is in New South Wales, plus Tokan and Chriskiwi are from Aotearoa where both Auckland and Wellington are 2 hours ahead of Australian EST so if folk show interest I'm sure we can work out a time that suits everyone otherwise it's just you and I Nanrin.
    Gassho
    Onka
    st
    Last edited by Onka; 07-25-2020 at 06:59 AM.

Smile

Hi Onka, Nanrin and all. Great idea if time suits.
    Look forward to meeting (although my life is pretty ordinary in comparison!)

Gassho, Chris sattodayLAH
    Last edited by ChrisKiwi; 07-27-2020 at 03:03 AM.

Okay then, if I can get a few preferred times and days from both Chris and Nanrin (including timezones) I can get this tea house going.
    I'm thinking along the lines of our European Sisters, Brothers and Others, and having 10 minutes of Zazen followed by a cup of whatever you choose and a casual chat to get to know each other better.
    Gassho
    Onka
    sat today

I am from India. GMT+5:30
    Gassho
    Raj
    sat today
    Gassho,
    Raj

Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Okay then, if I can get a few preferred times and days from both Chris and Nanrin (including timezones) I can get this tea house going.
    I'm thinking along the lines of our European Sisters, Brothers and Others, and having 10 minutes of Zazen followed by a cup of whatever you choose and a casual chat to get to know each other better.
    Once you all get the preferred time and day nailed down, I'll get it posted to the calendar.

Thank you all for working to manifest Sangha.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by rajmahendra View Post
    I am from India. GMT+5:30
    Gassho
    Raj
    sat today
    Hi Raj
    Myself and Getchi are GMT+10, Nanrin is GMT+7 and our comrades from Aotearoa (New Zealand) are GMT+12. If we could all suggest a preferred day with a couple of back up preferences we can get the tea brewing. We'll deal with Summer daylight saving time when it comes around but to get things started how does around 2pm GMT+10 on Saturday sound? If I'm right this is 30 minutes after our weekly Zazenkai for everyone so we can stretch our legs a bit before coming together for short Zazen and a casual chat. If we can get a consensus in the next couple of days our tech ninja Sekishi can do his magic. Being shortly after Zazenkai we might even tempt some of our Northern Hemisphere comrades to have a cuppa with us too.
    Gassho
    Onka
    sat today
    Last edited by Onka; 07-27-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Once you all get the preferred time and day nailed down, I'll get it posted to the calendar.

Thank you all for working to manifest Sangha.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Thank you Sekishi. Your tech ninja wizardry is appreciated.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Hi Onka , don't plan round me as family=uncertainty! I'll join if I can.
    Saturday 1:00-2:45pm NZT is Fri/Sat Zazenkai though.

Gassho, Chris satLAH

Because I want to keep things moving forward and understanding that we can't cater for everyone I'm going to commit to Saturday's @ 2pm GMT+10 which is 30 minutes after our weekly live Zazenkai here in Queensland, Australia for our Asiantipodean Tea House.
    This is because our regional timezones vary so much.
    I still hope that it will enable as many as possible to attend.
    We will sit for 10 minutes followed by casual fellowship with the aim of getting to know each other better for around 30 minutes or so.
    If this schedule suits folks then drop in at any time. Everyone is welcome. It will appear on the treeleaf calendar shortly with a link.
    Gassho
    Onka
    sat today

Sounds good. That you for arranging this, I plan on stoping by.

Gassho

Nanrin

Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

This sounds like a great idea. I'm also in GMT +7, and I'd love to drop in.
    Gassho,
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Thanks Onka, I will be with you all when I can .

Gassho, Chris satLAH

Just a note that the name has been changed to "Sunflower Tea House" (the European Tea House is now the "Grass Roof Tea House") to emphasize that these friendly gatherings are not bound by geography. Any members from around the world can drop in at any convenient time. (Onka picked the name).

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Because I want to keep things moving forward and understanding that we can't cater for everyone I'm going to commit to Saturday's @ 2pm GMT+10 which is 30 minutes after our weekly live Zazenkai here in Queensland, Australia for our Asiantipodean Tea House.
    Hi Onka,

I've added the Sunflower Tea House to the calendar. When you get a chance, please check and make sure the times are right. I have to pick a particular city and timezone (for daylight savings), so I went with "2:00pm (GMT+10:00) Australian Eastern Standard Time - Brisbane".

We will have to check it again in the fall to make sure the event did the proper timezone dance.

Thank you for all who manifest the jewel of Sangha.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    sekishi
    石志

As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Hi Onka,

I've added the Sunflower Tea House to the calendar. When you get a chance, please check and make sure the times are right. I have to pick a particular city and timezone (for daylight savings), so I went with "2:00pm (GMT+10:00) Australian Eastern Standard Time - Brisbane".

We will have to check it again in the fall to make sure the event did the proper timezone dance.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Thank you Sekishi.
    We are lucky in not having daylight saving time here so no dance required on our end.
    Thanks again.
    Gassho
    Onka
    St

Just a note folks, the calendar days Sunday at 2pm. This is not the time put forward. It is intended to be 2pm GMT+10 on Saturday which is 30 minutes after the conclusion of our live weekly Zazenkai. If it is to remain Sunday 2pm GMT+10 then no biggie, I'll see you all then. I've messaged Sekishi about this so we'll have something set in stone shortly. Hang in there folks, our tech ninja's are busy busy busy at the moment, and that's before their day to day lives and commitments.
    Gassho
    Onka
    St

Just a note folks, the calendar days Sunday at 2pm. This is not the time put forward. It is intended to be 2pm GMT+10 on Saturday which is 30 minutes after the conclusion of our live weekly Zazenkai. If it is to remain Sunday 2pm GMT+10 then no biggie, I'll see you all then. I've messaged Sekishi about this so we'll have something set in stone shortly. Hang in there folks, our tech ninja's are busy busy busy at the moment, and that's before their day to day lives and commitments.
    Gassho
    Onka
    St
    I'm good with either date/time, for the record.
    Gassho,
    Kyoshin
    Satlah

I think this is fixed now. I'm not sure what sort of hiccup Google Calendar was having, but instead of a single repeating listing for this event, it bifurcated into about a bazillion separate events. I deleted them all and started from scratch.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    sekishi
    石志

I think this is fixed now. I'm not sure what sort of hiccup Google Calendar was having, but instead of a single repeating listing for this event, it bifurcated into about a bazillion separate events. I deleted them all and started from scratch.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    And that's why you're one of my favourites Sekishi.
    There's no way I could do any of this stuff.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

So there we have it friends, the Sunflower tea house has it's grand opening today at 2pm GMT+10 which should be easy enough to out no matter where you live... it's 30 minutes after our live weekly Zazenkai.
    Unfortunately my spine is not playing nice so there is a real chance I'll miss it however I humbly remind those that attend that the format is to be Zazen for 10 minutes followed by approximately 30 minutes of fellowship to get to know each other better. Please remember to gassho on arrival and leaving, and remember that our focus is always on gentle speech.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

YAHTZEE!
    Sunflower Tea House grand opening was lovely.
    Thanks to Jundo and Sekishi for setting it up and thank you to Kyoshin for sitting with me and having a yarn afterwards.
    I look forward to next week.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today

Delightful! 10/10, would yarn with Onka again.
    Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

See opening post for new improved greeting with perhaps dodgy mathematics on display.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Good afternoon friends
    After 25 minutes I pulled down the shutters on the Sunflower Tea House today. Rightly or wrongly I did this because no-one dropped by.
    I'll be there again next week after Zazenkai so drop by for a cuppa and a yarn in the spirit of getting to know each other better.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Good afternoon friends
    After 25 minutes I pulled down the shutters on the Sunflower Tea House today. Rightly or wrongly I did this because no-one dropped by.
    I'll be there again next week after Zazenkai so drop by for a cuppa and a yarn in the spirit of getting to know each other better.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    Oh no! I forgot to leave a post saying I couldn't make it today. Sorry to leave you hanging

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

Like any tea or coffee house, sometimes nobody comes and it is okay just to pull down the shutters early.

No need to tip the staff, by the way.

Gassho, J

STKah

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshin View Post
    Oh no! I forgot to leave a post saying I couldn't make it today. Sorry to leave you hanging

Gassho
    Kyōshin
    Satlah

No apologies needed Kyoshin, I wasn't left hanging at all. I just sat Shikantaza for 25 minutes then went home.
    As Jundo said above, sometimes no-one comes and that's OK too.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Lost track of time and missed out a second week in a row. I'll try to make it this Saturday. On the calendar it shows up as 1.5 hours after zazenkai - is that correct?

Nanrin

Sat today
    南 - Southern
    林 - Forest

Yes Nanrin, that is correct.
    I initially wanted it 30 minutes after Zazenkai but I wanted to include as many folk as possible, plus give everyone a chance to stretch their legs and have a rest after Zazenkai.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Nanrin View Post
    Lost track of time and missed out a second week in a row. I'll try to make it this Saturday. On the calendar it shows up as 1.5 hours after zazenkai - is that correct?

Nanrin

Sat today
    If you go to Treeleaf.org/now, you can enter your time-zone into the calendar on the page and it'll spit out all of Treeleaf's events in your local time so that you can be pleasantly surprised by how many of them happen during reasonable hours.
    It was a revelation for me.

Gassho,
    Kyoshin
    Satlah

Just a reminder that the Sunflower tea house will be open after this week's Zazenkai. Drop by for a yarn in the spirit of getting to know each other better. Check the Treeleaf calendar for the opening time for where you happen to be.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat today

Hiya Sekishi! Just checked the calendar to add zazenkai for tomorrow and the teahouse and I noticed it only works with Google calendar, which I don´t use. Have you considered including an Apple Calendar option or is that too much of a hassle?

Sat today

Hi Onka,

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    #sat
    Jake

-------------------------
    Join me on Insight Timer
    Help me feed those in need by joining my Share The Meal team HERE

Quote Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
    Hiya Sekishi! Just checked the calendar to add zazenkai for tomorrow and the teahouse and I noticed it only works with Google calendar, which I don´t use. Have you considered including an Apple Calendar option or is that too much of a hassle?

Sat today
    Hi Jake
    May I suggest you shoot Sekeshi a PM about this just in case he misses it here. In saying that, the Treeleaf calandar on the forum site shoukd show you all times and dates for anything Treeleaf including the tea houses. Hope you can drop by sometime.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Good morning friends
    I was having a chat with Sekishi the other day and he brought up a very interesting thing to consider when hosting a tea house i.e. how pooped people are after our weekly and monthly Zazenkai. I'm flexible with times and we discussed whether sometime BEFORE our weekly and monthly Zazenkai might work better for folk. Let me know what your thoughts are. Perhaps a hit of caffeine and a yarn in the spirit of getting to know each other better before Zazenkai may work better.
    I live in Queensland, Australia and use GMT. We are GMT+10, Japan is GMT+9 so weekly Zazenkai for example starts at 11am GMT+10 Saturday for me.
    Let me know (preferably in GMT) what time before or after Zazenkai works best for you and we may be able to make changes or tweak things a bit.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Thanks Onka. I don´t see it as that big of a deal anyway. I can simply ass the events manually so there´s no point in complicating ourselves more!

SatToday

Hi Jake
    May I suggest you shoot Sekeshi a PM about this just in case he misses it here. In saying that, the Treeleaf calandar on the forum site shoukd show you all times and dates for anything Treeleaf including the tea houses. Hope you can drop by sometime.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    Jake

Join me on Insight Timer

Wow! That time flew!
    Thank you Kyoshin, Tai Shi and Jake for dropping by. It was lovely to get to know you all better and to have that face to face communication.
    Thank you Tai Shi for sharing one of your poems, it was a wonderful way to sign off for today (Gassho).
    I will give some more thought around Sunflower tea house opening times as it would be terrific to be able to accommodate as many folk as possible.
    Finally, thank you for using the talking thumb. I'll tweak it a little next week but overall I think we did ok today.
    Have a great week folks.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Wow! That time flew!
    Thank you Kyoshin, Tai Shi and Jake for dropping by. It was lovely to get to know you all better and to have that face to face communication.
    Thank you Tai Shi for sharing one of your poems, it was a wonderful way to sign off for today (Gassho).
    I will give some more thought around Sunflower tea house opening times as it would be terrific to be able to accommodate as many folk as possible.
    Finally, thank you for using the talking thumb. I'll tweak it a little next week but overall I think we did ok today.
    Have a great week folks.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    Thank you for having us. I enjoyed myself terribly! Talking thumb works I hope we get to see much more of each other and reach out via private message anytime you need/want to!

SatToday Lah
    Jake

Join me on Insight Timer

Please note that Sunflower tea house has changed its time from after our weekly and monthly Zazenkai to BEFORE our weekly and monthly Zazenkai. Please check the Treeleaf calendar for what time that will be in your local time zone.
    After a couple of early challenges it's all systems go again for this week so bring your "talking thumb" and join me in the spirit of getting to know each other better.

Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Cool Onka, I'll try and drop by briefly between kitchen assembly and zazenkai

Gassho, Chris satLAH

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKiwi View Post
    Cool Onka, I'll try and drop by briefly between kitchen assembly and zazenkai

Gassho, Chris satLAH
    If you pop on by then good, if you can't make it then we'll catch up another time.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

Looking forward to seeing those that can make it before Zazenkai this week. In the spirit of avoiding some of the challenges of an all online group chat I'll be tweaking the talking thumb idea a bit so as to refine the facilitation process.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat

Looking forward to seeing those that can make it before Zazenkai this week. In the spirit of avoiding some of the challenges of an all online group chat I'll be tweaking the talking thumb idea a bit so as to refine the facilitation process.
    Gassho
    Onka
    Sat
    I’d say switch thumb for index and you’re good to go!
    I probably won’t make it cause with the time change it makes it way too early for me. Zazenkai for me is at 3AM.

SatToday lah
    Jake

Join me on Insight Timer

You'll be missed Jake. As to the talking thumb I'm sure I can accommodate any digits haha.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST

You'll be missed Jake. As to the talking thumb I'm sure I can accommodate any digits haha.
    Gassho
    Onka
    ST
    I’ll miss you all too.

SatToday lah
    Jake

Join me on Insight Timer

Onka,

I'm going to try and attend this week myself. I may be a bit late, but I should be able to pop in for a while before Zazenkai.

Gassho,
    Rob

-st-

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast